The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 04-11-2005, 07:28 AM

Default Looking for a new digital 8 track.....

I presently am using, albeit not much, an ancient Fostex 4 track tape machine to lay down ideas, songs and riffs. I have access to a really nice Roland VS-2480 for whole projects, demos, etc. but that is at my friend's house and I like to have something simple at my disposal at my house. I see a few machines out there priced less than $350.00 and was wondering what I could expect out of them. I would definitely like to go to digital, I would want to have a metronome or drum track available with a new unit. 8 tracks is enough because I can alway take a more complicated project to the Roland system as needed.

Please give me any insight, suggestions or recommendations
Old 04-11-2005, 05:46 PM

I've got a Yamaha MD-8 minidisc recorder that's been great. The discs hold 18 minutes of digital music. The board is easy to work with and intuitive, with 48v phantom power, 4 band Parametric EQ (high mid mid low), and 2 insert channels. I bought mine used with 10 discs (they aren't cheap, only downfall...they are around $10 each) for $375 from Ebay.

Examples of the quality of the recordings made can be heard at:
http://mp3.washingtonpost.com/bands/will_duende.shtml

The cool thing about the unit is you can move tracks around, copy tracks or parts of tracks, delete parts of tracks, set markers, etc...everything you can expect to do with a digital setup.

http://www.minidisc.org/part_Multitrack_Yamaha.html

http://www.heimsnet.is/thestone/md8/

There's some reference info for you. From what I understand, it's great for recording live gigs (never done that myself), too! HTH!
03 Taylor K-12ce [sold]
Heath Nold custom cocobolo
Old 04-11-2005, 09:13 PM
Guitar Honey

My son just traded me his Roland VS890 to try out in exchange for my powered stage monitors. It seems to be an awesome machine, at the top of its class. If I like it well enough, I hope to upgrade to a VS2000 or VS2400. IMO, Roland and Yamaha have the edge on these digital recorders.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:05 AM

As I stated we are currently using a Roland VS-2480 as a band and that machine is awesome. It is amazing what it can do and the bang for the buck is incredible....even though it is a lot of bucks!
Old 04-12-2005, 02:08 PM

I've had a Boss BR-532 for a few years now and it's small, affordable and has lots of neat features. I've seen 'em marked way down at stores [old stock] and cheaper than dirt on e-bay. One thing I HIGHLY recommend is to get the video owners manual [purchased seperately]. I hate print manuals and this video really explains the process in a much more understandable way.
Oh yeah, the thing also has a built in mic and runs on batteries if you want to go that route. Great for quick capturing ideas.
My$.02
Old 04-12-2005, 11:24 PM

I've got the Boss BR532 and a Korg D1200. Both are great machines. But if I was to nab a new one, I'd go with the Zoom MRS-8. The 4 track BR532 isn't supported by Mac OSX for converting audio from SmartMedia to Aiff/Wave, it uses a compressed proprietary format (though does sound OK) and the SmartMedia it uses maxes out at 128 Meg. The Zoom MRS-8 records 8 tracks uncompressed 44.1/16bit and uses SD memory which is up to 1 gig and I believe even 2 gig. There is also a drum machine and a bass sequencer built in which are both programmable via 3rd party software. These solid state memory, portable recorders, are definitely the way to go because they are so quiet, battery operable, and easy to transfer tracks. 4 tracks may seem like plenty, but if you like to overdub at all, even if it is just to do multiple takes to compare and edit, and you like to record in stereo, then you'll really appreciate the extra tracks of an 8 banger. Boss has a newer BR864 that records 8 tracks but it's downside is that it only has 4 faders and it is more expensive. There is also the even newer BR900CD which records to compact flash when on batteries but can access a CD drive when on AC, so for those who want something a bit more complete and don't have a larger multitrack or computer system might want to go this route. I use my BR532 a lot more than my Korg D1200 simply because it is more portable, quieter, and faster to get up and going. I can lay down a scratch guitar track along with a metronome or basic rhythm pattern, record an udu percussion track to that, then go back and lay down a better stereo guitar track. All this while in some remote location or optimal quiet space, stairwell, etc. With 8 tracks I could lay down additional tracks -vocal, etc.- and then transfer all to my Mac for finishing off in Digital Performer. (Though with my older BR532, I dump tracks into a PC first, then to CD, then to my OSX Mac) ...Still worth it for the ease of capturing inspiration.
Old 04-13-2005, 07:59 AM
Musical minimalist

Tascam DP-01fx......I just got one about a month ago and it is SUPER!!! check them out for sure......

Old 04-13-2005, 08:11 AM

Check out the Zoom MRS8. 8 track, drum machine/drum pads, and loads of cool stuff.

http://www.zoom.co.jp
Old 04-13-2005, 12:52 PM

The Fostex MR8HD comes in at about the same price as the Tascam DP-01 (without the FX), and records 4 tracks simulataneously. Pretty minimalistic, but cheap.

I got an old Roland VSR-880 rack mount recorder, 24-bit, 8-tracks at once. You can sometimes find 'em on Ebay for cheap. But you usually need outboard gear (pre-amps, or a mixer, or both.)

The Yamaha AW16G and the Korg D1200 have pretty good bang for the buck, if you've got the budget.
Old 04-13-2005, 02:39 PM

I have a Roland/Boss BR-864 (I think). 8 tracks, 64 virtual, built in programmable drum machine with lots of kit sounds and presets, and the unit does a terrific job. All in the size of a notebook tablet. I like the fact the drums don't use up any tracks.

Data stores on a CF card...Comes with an 128 mb card; I use a 1gig so I never run out of room. Downloads to your computer via USB.

I thought it was cheap too, considering the features.

I'm looking to upgrade to the next one so I can burn cd's right on the unit.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:34 PM

I have an AW16G, and I'm super pleased with it. I've had it over a year, and I've done 12 projects on it, that are all fairly in depth.

The thing is....each time I use it, I learn something new about it. I was up and recording quickly when I purchased it, but getting deeper into the nuances of the recorder takes time. But, it's fun.

As for the inexpensive units being discussed. I'm blown away by what these units can do. In fact, I'm considering adding one to my own collection. The fact that they run on AA batteries in many cases appeals to me. I'd like to do some remote recording where power is not available. Up at my friends cottage on an island ( no power ) for example. We often sit up late playing guitar. It would be fun to have a decent recorder to capture some of that. And I could export the .wav files into my G.

You never know. I think I'll check some of these out more closely.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell