The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 03-30-2005, 09:05 AM
Luthier

What makes a successful acoustic performance? For me a great connection with the folks in the room .

Woody Boyd
Luthier
"Home of the banjo eating HOG"
Old 03-30-2005, 11:29 AM

Quote:
This isn't really great advice, but have you thought about including more instrumental/fingerstyle versions of famous songs?
Actually, I think this is a great idea. I've arranged a few things myself, but I'm not an accomplished arranger.

Do you have any suggestions for songs? I don't listen to the radio and I tend to enjoy things that aren't universally popular. So, I really don't even have a list of famous songs that would be crowd pleasers. Here's what I know (as "famous" songs)

Spies in the Night (James Bond Theme) - Pretty cool fingerstyle arrangment
Santa Cruz - Fingerstyle piece by David Qualey
The Gambler's Lament (St. James Infirmary) - Classic blues piece
Lady Athenry - Turlough O'Carolan harp piece arranged for guitar
Up on the Roof - My own arrangement of the Carole King song. I'm not sure it's a strong enough arrangement to perform publicly
Ticket to Ride - My own arrangement of the Beatles classic. Again, I'm not sure the arrangment is really storng enough to perform publicly
Elanor Rigby - A neat arrangement of another Beatles classic
Spring - The famous melody from Vivaldi's Four Seasons. It's quite short becuase it really just plays the popular melody
Moonlight Serenade - Very nice arrangment of the Glenn Miller classic
Killing the Blues - This is actually a cover of Shawn Colvin's cover of this John Prine song. I sing this piece.
Romance - The (relatively) popular classical piece from an anonymous composer
Cornbread Mafia King - Ultra cool Pat Kirtley piece
What Child is This (Greensleeves) - Everyone knows this piece
Pretty Girl Milking a Cow - Famous Irish piece. I learned it for a wedding, but haven't played it since. I could pull it together again pretty quick
This Can't be Love - I'm working on the Chet Atkins version of this Rodgers and Hart classic

What would be some definite crowd pleasers as fingerstyle arrangements of famous songs?

David
Old 03-30-2005, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_m
Up on the Roof - My own arrangement of the Carole King song. I'm not sure it's a strong enough arrangement to perform publicly
Ticket to Ride - My own arrangement of the Beatles classic. Again, I'm not sure the arrangment is really storng enough to perform publicly
Eleanor Rigby - A neat arrangement of another Beatles classic
Romance - The (relatively) popular classical piece from an anonymous composer
What Child is This (Greensleeves) - Everyone knows this piece

What would be some definite crowd pleasers as fingerstyle arrangements of famous songs?

David
Of your list, I would applaud every one of these.

Other good'ns would include Misty, Yesterday, Windy and Warm, Night Train, One Mint Julep, Harlem Nocturne (IMHO).

My guitar instructor normally plays Mr Bojangles and Send In the Clowns (among others) during his Friday night restaurant gig.
Old 03-30-2005, 01:23 PM

I agree with Wade. Probably the best thing you could do is find someone really good to gig with. Someone who sings and plays cover tunes as well as some of your original tunes.

Then, every 3rd or 4th song, the other guy gets to introduce you - "Well, now it's time for David to blow us all away" - and you can instrumentally work your magic. This arrangement is similar to the way Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds work. Dave and Tim play Dave's songs and then Dave turns Tim loose on the crowd for a song or two per set. Tim's a much better musician than Dave, but Dave not only entertains the crowd with singing and telling jokes, he also supports the hell outta Tim's songs.

It's going to be very difficult to keep most audiences entertained just playing your original instrumentals unless they're there knowing they're not going to hear anything but original instrumental music and that's why they came. The exception would be a restaurant situation where you're there only to provide background music....but then of course, you're not going to get any feedback from the audience (except maybe some tips in your brandy snifter).

I know that sucks, but that's been my experience. People would rather hear covers done moderately well than instrumentals done exceptionally. And people care more about the singing than the playing in most cases.....

That which is good or great makes itself known, no matter how loud the clamor of denial. -- Theodore F. MacManus

I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell -- Christopher Walken
Old 03-30-2005, 02:21 PM
just peeking....

Default What makes a successful acoustic performance?

Quote:
After a few failed attempts previously, I've decided to take another stab at playing live. I've played lots of open mics, a few clubs, a wine tasting, a house concert and was even invited as a featured performer at a songwriter's showcase. However, I would say that most of my shows have not been successful. I don't feel like I engaged the audience as much as I should.

Given this type of performance, what would YOU like to experience that would make the show enjoyable for you? In past acoustic, instrumental concerts you've attended what did especially enjoy, and what did you dislike?

Consider yourself part of a focus group. I don't have any free sandwiches to give you, but your feedback will be greatly appreciated.

David
I too have a series of failed attempts at producing a successful live shows but after pondering and reflecting hard at these failures, I now have come to enjoy more my musical engagements than before.

There are several factors but I think one of the biggest challenges we have is establishing RAPPORT from a given audience and I’d like to share some of the strategies I’ve personally implemented to tackle the issue.

Like some have suggested, its also very good to include popular songs to your repertoire but unless you have very good rapport, you may still feel that your performance was not well received afterwards.
For instance, no matter how funny the jokes a comedian may have, if he/she doesn’t warm up the audience pretty well, aside from good delivery of the jokes, he may not see the audience “laughing with him.”

One thing I’ve learned hard when performing live at certain events is to eliminate the “I” attitude and focus more on the “They.” In other words, for most part when performing live I’ve come to accept that “its not about me” but “its about them.”

Have you ever performed live at a wedding reception and felt that, while people were having their meals, nobody was really paying attention to your music? Well the reality is, they are. You, the performer, are actually a big part of the “ambience” of what the wedding reception is all about. You are a big part of what they will remember even years after the wedding. Sometimes its hard for some people to relate to this, but in order for your performance to shine, IMO, is to detach yourself or your “ego” from the specific situation.
And I have done that by simply enjoying myself- getting to know the people, enjoying the place, enjoying the food- just having a grand time.

I have a friend who once owned a small coffee shop/restaurant and for almost a year, I together with 2 other friends performed acoustic guitar and song alternately every Friday night. I use to be so uptight before and during the performances up until another good friend of mine who also plays in club gigs suggested what he does- PLAY HOST TO THE PLACE!
So in between breaks, I would look around for the “friendly bunch,” approach them and break the ice with “is everything OK? Developing many acquaintances with customers helped me to relax, help me establish the rapport, which in turn helped me performed better.

Depending also on the event, overall preparation is the key. I was once invited to be one of the performers at a dinner/fund raising for under privileged children. I made it a point to learn all about the group/organization that organized it (even calling some active members and interviewing them) and also learned all about what the fund raising was for.
I then created a short script for my speech in between the three songs that I was told to perform (2 solo guitar instrumental, 1 with song- I carefully chose the song that would fit the occasion). I made sure I injected some humor in my speech (I think this is very important).

At the day of the event, I arrived really early (set up was not much- my amp, my mic and my guitar- that’s it!) but my purpose for being early was to greet and befriend the members of the group and meet and get acquainted to some of the guests that were coming in. Made sure I memorized some first names.
So by the time my performance was up, my plan to establish good rapport clicked, I was so relaxed my speech was so fluid, and was even able to call out some names from the audience which actually made it appear I was a member of the organizing group. My performance was well received the audience even requested an encore.

"The Only Good Is Knowledge And The Only Evil Is Ignorance" -Socrates

2004 Taylor 514ce
Seagull S6+CW Folk

Last edited by Mismo; 03-31-2005 at 11:40 AM.
Old 03-30-2005, 02:32 PM

Now we're getting somewhere!!! Mismo, thanks for the insight. That's very helpful.

David
Old 03-30-2005, 03:38 PM
just peeking....

Quote:
Now we're getting somewhere!!! Mismo, thanks for the insight. That's very helpful.

David
Thanks... anytime... so can I have my sandwich now?

"The Only Good Is Knowledge And The Only Evil Is Ignorance" -Socrates

2004 Taylor 514ce
Seagull S6+CW Folk

Old 03-31-2005, 07:53 AM

Lots of good advice here. I agree that it is important to look like you are enjoying yourself. Which means, I guess... to actually BE enjoying yourself... because the audience can sense sincerity.

I like to talk to the audience. I make a lot of eye contact with people when I am singing. (Not so much when they aren't looking at me, such as is the case sometimes at a private party or a wedding. In those cases, I agree with whoever said that you have to detach your ego from the situation; you have realize that you are there to enhance the event in a more subtle way, that this day isn't a day to draw attention to yourself, it is a day for the couple/clients/guests, etc. On those type of jobs, I interact with the crowd as much as seems appropriate, taking the cues from them.)

Back to regular club/coffeehouse/restaurant work: Some days I talk more than other days, but I can't do anything but be myself up there. I can't pretend to be a comedian or anything, it doesn't fly! Sometimes I don't know why I am saying some of the stuff I say, but hey, I'm just trying to entertain, and to play something that the crowd will enjoy.

I'm not ashamed to say that I am actually trying to please the audience. (Some musicians seem to like to boast that they play for themselves, because audiences have poor taste or something.) I realize that I happen to like a lot of popular music, so that is convenient in my particular case. But I also think people can tell that I am genuinely interested in making sure that the audience has a good time. People like that.

If you can stomach playing some popular songs, it definitely helps. Even I like to hear covers when I go out, and I generally want to hear an act with vocals more than I want to hear an instrumentalist. That isn't to say that I can't enjoy an instrumentalist or someone doing original stuff, but unless it is kind of special, it won't hold my attention for too long. And you know, musicians care more about music than a lot of other people do. I know tons of impressive fingerstyle players, (way better players than me) and they do better in concerts or festivals than they do on the club scene.

I'm lucky not to feel artistically compromised, because I enjoy playing a lot of well known tunes. I try to play the songs well. I don't mind requests. I even pass out a songlist and ask for them sometimes.

I am comfortable with the idea that I am providing a service. I am there to please the crowd and hopefully to please the club owner. That being said, I also have the satisfaction of knowing that I work for myself. If a place is too much of a drag, I don't have to book it anymore in the future.

I have never really had any problems getting along with club owners. I take a lot of pride in my professional reputation, so of course I always try to do my best and I honor the dates that have been already booked... and yes, the club owner is my boss for those 3 to 4 hours.... but ultimately, I am self employed. And that's a nice feeling.

Of course, I can play or record anything I like on my own time at home, or at concert or festival type shows. But if you want to hear Bobby McGee, by gosh I'll play it for you. (Not that it is a bad song. I actually like it ok, the first HUNDRED times I sang it were ok, ha ha ha. And yes, I do draw the line at some point, there are a few songs I hate and I don't play stuff I hate. ; We won't mention what those songs are!)

Take care now!
www.elizabethroth.com
Old 03-31-2005, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelsgirl
And you know, musicians care more about music than a lot of other people do. I know tons of impressive fingerstyle players, (way better players than me) and they do better in concerts or festivals than they do on the club scene.

www.elizabethroth.com

david_m....

get out a piece of paper...

write on the top of it:

WHY I WANT TO PERFORM INSTRUMENTAL MUSIC FOR NON-MUSICIANS IN GENERALLY NON-MUSICAL SETTINGS

start making a list of reasons....

what's on your list...?

PS...you could use graph paper if you so choose....
Indeed, there is something in the current DC/NY culture that equates a lack of unthinking boosterism with a lack of patriotism. As if not being drunk on the latest Dow gains is somehow un-American. - Arianna Huffington May 11, 2009
Old 03-31-2005, 11:29 AM

Quote:
david_m....

get out a piece of paper...

write on the top of it:

WHY I WANT TO PERFORM INSTRUMENTAL MUSIC FOR NON-MUSICIANS IN GENERALLY NON-MUSICAL SETTINGS

start making a list of reasons....

what's on your list...?

PS...you could use graph paper if you so choose....
This is why I LOVE Mapletrees' posts.

My list would only have one entry. I LOVE instrumental fingerstyle music on guitar, and want to impart some of that to other people.

I've had a LOT of people come up to me and say, "I've never seen anyone play the guitar like that. It's really cool." Generally these folks have only seen a guitar strummed with a pick, and it usually occurs in guitar shops.

Incidentally, I DO use graph paper for most everything; including making lists.

David
Old 03-31-2005, 11:46 AM

Elizabeth,

I'm very glad you chimed in on this thread. I was hoping you would post.

After listening to you play and sing I can see why your performances go over well and why you emphasize your voice. You have a beautiful singing voice.

My voice is passable (at best) and my vocal range is pretty limited. My guitar playing is my strength, and that's what I want to emphasize. In general, I don't expect to play at bars or clubs. Certainly there are exceptions, but in general I don't think my set list or my musical interests would mesh well with the crowd at a bar. I could be having the time of my life while playing extraordinarily well and the crowd would probably not enjoy the show.

I see myself as more of a coffeeshop and book store type of performer. Despite the fact that I play well (not great, not fantastic) I also realize that it's not enough to play well. There has to be more to the performance. I don't sing often (which is a good thing), but I realize that voice is an instrument that most audiences understand and enjoy. That familiarity helps to develop a rapport with the crowd. If I'm not going to be able to develop that rapport using my voice (by singing), what other devices can I try?

Also, what are some of your more requested covers? While I'm not an accomplished arranger, I wouldn't mind trying to arrange some fingerstyle pieces of pop songs. I just don't know which songs would be good candidates.

Thanks for all the input. This is tremendously educational.

David
Old 03-31-2005, 05:14 PM

Thanks for that, Elizabeth. "hello" to Bagel.
Old 04-03-2005, 04:00 PM

From my (LIMITED) experience, What marks my performances as successfull, is if they don't throw stuff at me while I am playing. Seriously, tho, you can play music they consider hokey or trite or dated(and I have!), and if YOU like it, THEY will like it too. Someone said it earlier: Let your love of the music show thru, so they can share it with you.
Marty
Taylor 110 GB
Ovation Patriot
Old 04-03-2005, 07:13 PM

David, You are far too modest as far as your playing and singing abilities are cocerned. I really enjoyed your performance at Border's in Raleigh a couple of years ago. And so did the rest of the people who were there that night. I thought the set was well arranged and flowed nicely. I actually wanted to hear more singing. So go ahead and goose fart all you want. The people will love it as we did. Go for it. Mike
2001 612c blue
2001 K14c with koa top
2002 814c LTD cocobolo Taylorstock
2003 754ceLTD grafted walnut 12 string

Last edited by levifly; 04-04-2005 at 09:49 AM.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:46 AM

We are all our own worst critics aren't we? God knows I never thought of myself as much of a singer for the first ten years. I just sang to be a able to do whole songs (Kind of the opposite of people who say they just played the guitar to accompany the vocal.) I always thought of myself as a guitarist before a vocalist.

And whiskeyjack, you remember that my handle isn't a diet reference. Very good. Bagels sends his regards back at ya!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell