The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-12-2018, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

Default the ideal guitar...

There is another thread in the classical sub-forum "If money were no object..." (or something along those lines).

For me, the ideal guitar would be an EXACT replica of my 1917 Martin 0-18, in carbon fiber that had a nice, resonant sound. Since my Martin is OLD Brazilian rosewood, I would not expect THAT sound, but would like a nice, round sound as might be possible with CF.

I suspect that such would technically be possible now that CF technology has been advanced. However, I would probably have to go to the shop and have the folks take exact measurements, especially to get the neck and string spacing right. Since Martin changed this model so often after mine was made (in undesirable ways, IMHO), the new CF guitar would have to be modelled on mine. All that sounds expensive and custom, unless there was a demand for that kind of instrument.

It would be nice to have that Martin in an indestructible form. It is cool to have a vintage guitar, but there is always concern that something will happen to it due to environmental factors. They do get old like we do.

What is your ideal guitar?

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 03-12-2018, 11:23 AM

I like where this is not going but should or something like that... a nice dream though . Fast aged CF... like what Yamaha did to some of their wood guitars.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 03-12-2018, 11:32 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Tony, I believe the only composite builder offering the flexibility to potentially accomplish what you want is Emerald, located in Ireland. Their guitars and extent of possible customization is impressive. For example, if a particular neck shape is desired, they will even send you a mold to cast the shape and return to them for execution. They have proven over time that there’s little they won’t do. Of course, this comes at a price, but in the scheme of things hasn’t been outrageous.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

I'd like to have a "carbon copy" of my SCGC D12
Old 03-12-2018, 11:34 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
Old 03-12-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
"carbon copy"
I don't get it.
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 03-12-2018, 11:49 AM
Guest 928

I'd like to have a wooden copy of my carbon fiber X10-OSN, in rosewood, cedar top, and all those cool bevels.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
I'd like to have a wooden copy of my carbon fiber X10-OSN, in rosewood, cedar top, and all those cool bevels.
Thats' just crazy talk right there... not for you though so it's cool...and then copy the wood one in eKoa... it just never ends.

See what the Cargo owner started here!! Geeeshhh.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Be very careful saying this. I was shamed and taken to task in the classical guitar sub-forum for expressing a taste for rosewood and cedar. Hopefully, that guy is gone now (nobody in these forums should be subject to that sort of thing), but I certainly understand having a desire for these woods in an instrument. I have a Brunton classical guitar that has this combination, and it is wonderful.

It has been a long time since I played an Emerald. I had the opportunity to play both an early X7 and an early X10. While I liked how they played, I didn't care for their sound at all. I am sure that those models have been reworked and improved on many times over by now. I find what Emerald is doing, to be intriguing and would love to experience some of their newer offerings someday.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 03-12-2018, 12:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Nice play! (i.e. I see what you did there ).

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 03-12-2018, 12:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Tony, I believe the only composite builder offering the flexibility to potentially accomplish what you want is Emerald, located in Ireland. Their guitars and extent of possible customization is impressive. For example, if a particular neck shape is desired, they will even send you a mold to cast the shape and return to them for execution. They have proven over time that there’s little they won’t do. Of course, this comes at a price, but in the scheme of things hasn’t been outrageous.
I think that, in this particular case, I would have to go to Ireland (hint to wife...) and have my Martin in his hands so he can fully appreciate beyond just the measurements what I want replicated. However, I suspect you are correct in that Emerald would be the ones to do it.

Of course, trying to get a Brazilian rosewood guitar from here to there would be a hurdle these days.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 03-12-2018, 02:50 PM

This is very interesting, especially with what many of the manufacturers have done with the various layerings to create different tones in their guitars.
Old 03-12-2018, 02:58 PM
Guest 928

Tony;

The problem with such a fine guitar is that I'd be afraid to take it anywhere.

I suppose I could have a wooden version of my X10 cf made, but I don't think I could afford it,and then I'd have to humidify it, and then I'd have a fear of flying.

I suspect that Alistair could make a good cf Martin replica, at a reasonable price, but that he wouldn't want to--he may make necks and fret boards to a customer's desire, but he seems to stick to his basic and innovative forms for the guitar in general.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Tony;

The problem with such a fine guitar is that I'd be afraid to take it anywhere.

I suppose I could have a wooden version of my X10 cf made, but I don't think I could afford it,and then I'd have to humidify it, and then I'd have a fear of flying.

I suspect that Alistair could make a good cf Martin replica, at a reasonable price, but that he wouldn't want to--he may make necks and fret boards to a customer's desire, but he seems to stick to his basic and innovative forms for the guitar in general.
You are probably right that Alistair wouldn't want to make an exact replica, and definitely right about not taking the Martin anywhere. I think that a company that specialized in making CF versions of vintage and iconic wood guitars might have a nice market niche though. Imagine having such a guitar in an indestructible format.

The problem with these old guitars, and I don't often see it discussed, is that they are ... old, and require special care just like we do at those ages. Unfortunately, at least with the Martin 0-18, it is true that they don't make them like they used to, so getting a new one is not an option.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 03-12-2018, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

Interesting premise for some of us who enjoy what carbon fiber brings to the playing experience... so, I guess my ideal guitar would be... another X20?

The problem with Emerald reproducing a vintage Martin would be Alistair's nod to ergonomics in his designs... you know, an arm rest bevel here, a compound curve in the cutaway there, rounded edges, some body contouring on the back... well, so much for anything resembling that old Martin.

My thought: keep that vintage Martin and get a modern carbon fiber guitar to compliment it. I would imagine Alistair could put a roughed-up EIR veneer woody on there that would approximate "the look." Well, except for all that stuff that makes it so comfortable to play.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber