The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-09-2018, 07:44 AM

Question X20 strange string spacing

I recently noticed that there is quite a difference in the distance from the top e string to the edge of the board and the bottom E to the edge....

I looked at the full frontal shots on the Emerald site and was gratified to see (even more clearly than in my lousy snap) , that they are indeed all like that.

I don’t mind it being like that, (I rarely stray up that end of the board anyway,) but neither do I think It helps, so what is the thinking there ?
Is it to aid some string bendy and fingersyley stuff or what ? Is it an Irish thing ?
Personally I always push the skinny strings up, not haul ‘em down.
I am surprised this has not come up for discussion before, or maybe I missed it ?

The X7 may have a slight bias that way too, but not nearly so pronounced.

Old 03-09-2018, 07:50 AM
Charter Member

Mine seems fairly even. While there is a slight gap difference, it appears to be only due to the low E steering being wider.
Old 03-09-2018, 07:54 AM

I was worried I’d got a wrong ‘un ,,,,, you ain’t helping Methos !

Jim, Earl, Sean, Evan, Alistair, Somebody else back me up on this !
Old 03-09-2018, 08:20 AM
Charter Member

Here’s mine. Clearly, it is Methos’ guitar that is messed up.

Old 03-09-2018, 08:25 AM

Attaboy Gary !
Old 03-09-2018, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

That looks odd to me. I am semi-sorta-kinda toying with the idea of an X20 (based mostly on AGF discussions and the fact that I live in a snow-town).

This would certainly have caused me concern and I would like to hear some info from allistair or sean to get their thoughts if this was intentional or accidental.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 03-09-2018, 08:28 AM

I really don’t think it can be accidental Faz, it ain’t a 70’s Martin, have a look at the site, and pull the straight-on shot up close.
http://emeraldguitars.com/product/x2...v=79cba1185463

Ps. Get one , they’re really nice
Old 03-09-2018, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

Interesting. My X-7 doesn't look like that... looks more like that of Methos.
Old 03-09-2018, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

I don’t know...it might explain why my X-20 sounds so good.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:06 AM

Looking at mine, at the nut the spacing is even and it diverges as I move down the neck where it is most pronounced at the bottom of the neck.

That being said, I ain't kicking her out of bed for eating crackers.
Emerald X10 Black Level 3
Old 03-09-2018, 09:55 AM

Long Jon, my X20 is pretty even on both sides. There is perhaps a tad more room on the high e side - a thin string width at most visually. The X20-12 is almost exactly even between the outermost E strings, nicely centered.

You bought it used from a pal. Perhaps the previous owner had some set-up work done, which moved the strings to his preference. I too bend up when bending, so if extra room were actually needed it would be on the low E.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

My X20 is 1,348 miles away from me right now, but I'll look when I get home. I looked at photos, and all I could tell is... that sure is a pretty guitar. Probably not much help, huh?

I just pulled out the X7. Eyeballin' it, the bass e-string may be a bit closer to the edge of the neck than the high e. Might be the width of the strings? I don't have a micrometer with me. Of course, I can't get the guitar out without playing it... what a great guitar!

While I had the guitar out, I paid more attention to "the neck drop," as discussed in another thread. OMG - while standing with a strap on, the neck did indeed drop almost an inch! Then balanced just fine. Holding it on my lap, no drop. But - an inch.

Yesterday, I had a perfect parlor size guitar that is super comfortable and plays great; and today I have a guitar that with completely wonky strings and a neck that drops an inch before it balances... what should I do???

Yeah, I think I'll just play my perfect X7. And now, I'm really looking forward to getting home so I can play my perfect X20. And, even a couple of my perfect wood guitars... but, really, the CF guitars will get way more attention.

For full disclosure, I used to have an electric guitar with a 1 11/16" nut width where the high e would pull off the side of the fretboard on occasion when playing up the neck. I haven't noticed that with any of my current guitars. Never had a guitar where the bass e pushed off the top of the neck.

I just play 'em. Oh sure, some of them are so beautiful that I have to look at them and enjoy the craftsmanship. But, mostly, I just play 'em.

Did that help? I know I feel better.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:18 AM

Default The Answer .

OK, Sean just emailed me and invited me to phone and speak to Alistair directly.

So I did. Alistair explained to me that it was (of course) a design decision and not some dodgy jig work !

The idea is to place the low E close as poss to the edge, to make thumb over play a bit easier and to place top e a teeny bit further away to allow for two-way string bending without annoyingly falling off the edge.

The actual difference is about 1mm at the twelfth fret. Looks more cos of string size.

So there we are, that’s straight from the horse’s mouth.

Have to say, what a great company ! I’ve bought loads of Martins and Taylors and never a word from Chris or Bob !
Old 03-09-2018, 11:24 AM

A little more room on the high e side is a good thing.

On my Larrivee Parlor the high e will slide off the fretboard without much effort.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 03-09-2018, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
A little more room on the high e side is a good thing.

On my Larrivee Parlor the high e will slide off the fretboard without much effort.
There ya go, Emerald has the answer !

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber