The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-15-2018, 06:51 AM

Default Rainsong Series

Greetings everyone

I'm about to buy my first CF guitar, probably a Rainsong, since they're more visible here in Europe. I'm currently in Switzerland, so CF guitars aren't too many. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any who stock an Emerald X-20 here in Switzerland (buying online?)

The reason I'm buying is for stability and body creep. I've been a Martin and Larrivee aficionado for a long time, but the weight of a neck reset is heavy on me, especially that I'm globe trotter and experienced repairmen aren't always around'when you need them.

I just have a few questions, because I'm mixed up between the Rainsong series, which one of them would have a the best tone closest to wood, the Concert or Black Ice series? I'm totally open to the any of their 5 series actually and any of the body sizes.

Cheers
HNS

Be & Remember ☮

Last edited by HNS; 02-15-2018 at 07:32 AM.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:00 AM

HNS, you won't find an Emerald "in stock" anywhere -- they only sell direct. But they are great to work with and have a good return policy if you want to try one from stock and don't mind paying the return shipping (just in case). If you get very lucky you might find someone with a used one to try.

With that list of locations, you certainly DO get around, and CF would be perfect for you. If you need airline travel capability, people are going for the Journey OF660 which has a removable neck and is the only guitar that truly fits into the "box" for carry on items.

As for the Rainsong series, each one is a little different. The Hybrid models (mix of CF and fiberglass) and the uni-directional tops are reputed to have the warmest and woodiest sound, particularly the new C-H series yet. The woven tops have the most crystalline or piano-like sound -- more overtones and sustain. You might want to call Ted at LA Guitar Sales, who has more experience with CF guitars than just about anyone else. He carries almost everything except Emerald (but owns an X20 personally too).

I have an older WS-1000 which is a real do-everything guitar for me as a bare-nails fingerpicker and a rhythm strummer. Some like the jumbo and dreadnought bodies for the extra loudness, and more than one poster here has commented that the JM is the most balanced overall across the bass, mids and trebles to their ears.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
HNS, you won't find an Emerald "in stock" anywhere -- they only sell direct. But they are great to work with and have a good return policy if you want to try one from stock and don't mind paying the return shipping (just in case). If you get very lucky you might find someone with a used one to try.

With that list of locations, you certainly DO get around, and CF would be perfect for you. If you need airline travel capability, people are going for the Journey OF660 which has a removable neck and is the only guitar that truly fits into the "box" for carry on items.

As for the Rainsong series, each one is a little different. The Hybrid models (mix of CF and fiberglass) and the uni-directional tops are reputed to have the warmest and woodiest sound, particularly the new C-H series yet. The woven tops have the most crystalline or piano-like sound -- more overtones and sustain. You might want to call Ted at LA Guitar Sales, who has more experience with CF guitars than just about anyone else. He carries almost everything except Emerald (but owns an X20 personally too).

I have an older WS-1000 which is a real do-everything guitar for me as a bare-nails fingerpicker and a rhythm strummer. Some like the jumbo and dreadnought bodies for the extra loudness, and more than one poster here has commented that the JM is the most balanced overall across the bass, mids and trebles to their ears.

Thank a bunch, Earl ... great comment !

I usually play fingerstyle without nails (so maybe a crystaline sound is in order?), some flat picking but less strumming. So I'm looking for a mid-sized guitar (OM size).

I'm at a loss as to what to buy since I'd have to buy online! tone is very subjective, but what would you recommend?

I like the looks of the Emerald X20 and it's bevel. I sent them an email and they responded lightning fast.

I know Ted, I bought my D-21 Special from him a few years back!

Cheers
HNS

Be & Remember ☮
Old 02-15-2018, 10:40 AM

I have an X20-12 twelve string now, and a used X20 on the way from a fellow forum member. While the overall dimensions are about the same as a GA guitar, the contours and bevels make it feel smaller and more comfy. It is a bit quieter and mellower than my other CF guitars. By "mellow" I mean more like a cedar top versus a spruce top on wood guitars. I prefer the voice of the X20-12 over my well-aged Taylor 354-LTD twelve string (maple back & sides).

Years ago a gal I knew came to my house and compared an OM-1000 she was considering to my WS-1000. The OM is thinner and therefore a little more comfortable to hold, and somewhat quieter. The WS is bigger and bolder in tone. Think Martin 000-28 versus a D-28 and you'll be in the ballpark. WS projects well for my finger style play, and can still hold its own against D-28's at bluegrass jams when flatpicked. She went for the OM, but that was more a physical comfort thing for her smaller frame than tone. A friend of mine recently acquired an older N1 neck DR-1000 and loves it -- except that he plays a lot of leads and would rather have the cutaway.

IMO -- worth what you paid for it -- the OM-1000 or the WS-1000 would be the top choices in Rainsong, followed by the new composite-hybrid CH-OM or CH-WS, but the X20 is a very strong contender. It would be a tough choice for me........ but you cannot lose with any of them.

To muddy the waters, I came very close to buying a Blackbird El Capitan when first encountering one. It is a small jumbo body (despite looking like a Gibson SJ) and sounds as good as my Taylors. They are pricier than the RS or Emerald, but very very VERY nice.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:43 AM

Thanks a million good advice !

Be & Remember ☮
Old 02-15-2018, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

Those guys offer great experienced advice. My advice would be to go into it with an open mind, I don't think any CF guitar sounds like wood. Most CF guitars sound better than most wood to me ! Just my opinion. It's just best not to think your Rainsong is going to sound like a Martin or Gibson. All that said, the CF guitars are pretty special. Enjoy the search !
Old 02-15-2018, 12:28 PM

If you're worried about the long term maintenance stuff like neck resets, perhaps you're also worried about fretwork as well...

It's worth pointing out all the CF guitar makers EXCEPT Rainsong use stainless frets.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
Those guys offer great experienced advice. My advice would be to go into it with an open mind, I don't think any CF guitar sounds like wood. Most CF guitars sound better than most wood to me ! Just my opinion. It's just best not to think your Rainsong is going to sound like a Martin or Gibson. All that said, the CF guitars are pretty special. Enjoy the search !
I know that they'd sound different, I played one a few years back and IIRC it sounded a bit metallic. It's the convenience that they offer that got me sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post
If you're worried about the long term maintenance stuff like neck resets, perhaps you're also worried about fretwork as well...

It's worth pointing out all the CF guitar makers EXCEPT Rainsong use stainless frets.
Absolutely!, excellent point! that's why I'm beginning to gravitate towards Emerald.

Be & Remember ☮
Old 02-15-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post

Journey also does not use stainless frets.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNS View Post
I'm beginning to gravitate towards Emerald.

Emerald does have that gravitational effect sometimes. Got me a few times.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 02-15-2018, 04:08 PM

Some of the RS series are a bit too much of the carbon fiber sound for my tastes. I debated between the H and CO series. Ted recommended H, and I have been very happy. Highly recommend that you get in touch with Ted.
Old 02-15-2018, 04:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNS View Post
I know that they'd sound different, I played one a few years back and IIRC it sounded a bit metallic. It's the convenience that they offer that got me sold.
Thanks! I figured I was stating the obvious.... My favorites are the Emeralds. Best of luck to you !!
Old 02-15-2018, 07:54 PM

Just got a new RS Shorty form Ted @ LA Sales, gave me a Terrific Deal and the guitar is great. Has a good tone, I put a set of Martin Retro Models on it and it really mellowed it out along with dropping the action a bit. Very easy playing and it has the same string spacing as my Martin and SC so that is a real plus. Very short period of adjustment going to this guitar and I am now ready for the summer months on the road playing at festivals. The built in Fishman works very well and is a plus for plugging into the PA. Good luck in your search, can't go wrong with RS, IMO.
Old 02-16-2018, 01:17 PM

The Concert Hybrid, CH-OM1000NS, would be #1 on my list to recommend, it's a very popular model and with good reason. An excellent value, very natural feel and tone, incredibly versatile. A Hybrid series, H-OM1000NS, would be next of my recommendations. To my ear, the Hybrid style of construction helps to mellow some of the brightness of the carbon, making for a more "woody" tone. If you want the clearest of the crystal-clear highs, then the Classic or Concert series is the way to go.
Old 02-16-2018, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiG50 View Post
If you want the clearest of the crystal-clear highs, then the Classic or Concert series is the way to go.
I think the classic and black ice models are the ones with the clear trebles, while the Concert (with uni-directional top) and Hybrid are the warmest sounding.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber