The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-24-2018, 08:41 AM

Default Quick n' dirty recording...

I was contacted by a small ensemble that wanted to do a recording to post on Soundcloud to release in conjunction with "March For Our Lives" on March 4th.

I grabbed my R24 and a half dozen mics and stands, live tracked the band in a fairly quiet living room, and got them back a quickly finished mix in mp3 and wav form within 3 days.

The song they performed was a previously unreleased poem by Carl Sandberg, "A Revolver", and it turned out well given the quick n' dirty recording that I did.

Here's the Soundcloud link if anyone would like to hear it:

https://soundcloud.com/the-young-3/a-revolver
Old 03-24-2018, 11:53 AM

Sounds fine to me, particularly as it's a "rush job"--like a good live recording. I assume there's no violin played on this track?

I appreciate the band wanting to perform using words by Carl Sandburg. I keep telling folks that we need to remember Sandburg more, both as a writer and as a key early popularizer of folk songs in the US.

I keep recording Sandburg's words with my music too. Here's "Clark Street Bridge" with bass, drums, and acoustic guitar. I wanted the snare clip clop rhythm for the footsteps/horse's hooves, but I think I may have overdid it on the final mix just a bit.

Clark Street Bridge

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 03-24-2018, 12:34 PM

Thanks, Frank.

The players are multi-instrumentalists so Tom, who is holding the banjo in the Soundcloud photo is playing concert ukulele and Lyle, holding the fiddle, is playing fretless banjo.

Sandburg's home of Galesburg, Illinois is just up the road from the Peoria area where I grew up. We sometimes studied his poetry in school, particularly since he was a "local boy".

I didn't realize until much later in my life that he also performed songs as part of his performances and readings.

His archives are located here at the University of Illinois (Champaign / Urbana) and the lead curator of his archives discovered "A Revolver" among the unpublished materials. His poetry is certainly worthy of a closer familiarity by many.
Old 03-24-2018, 02:30 PM

Very good final product from a field recording. Glad to hear you didn't add a bunch of echo and reverb and delay to "help" the vocals. I can feel the presence of the band in this recording.
Old 03-24-2018, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H165 View Post
Very good final product from a field recording. Glad to hear you didn't add a bunch of echo and reverb and delay to "help" the vocals. I can feel the presence of the band in this recording.
The main vocal (Tom) does have just enough reverb to take the dry edge off. As a general rule if I think verb will help my rule is to make it at a level that takes close listening to tell. The only other editing besides levels and panning the ukulele and banjo to add some stereo spread was a low cut filter on the upright bass because I thought the raw track was a bit thuddy and cutting some of the low end made the recording less muddy overall.
Old 03-25-2018, 01:09 AM

You did a great job on that Rudy!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD