The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-16-2001, 12:28 AM
Charter Member

Post Anyone have a 410??

I played a 2001 410 today and I was very impressed. Does anyone have one of these and what do you like/not like about it?
Old 09-16-2001, 12:55 AM

Joe,
It just so happens that I brought a 410 home on approval from my dealer. I have till Monday morning to decide if I "can't live without it' and if my wife agrees with me.
It was the only dread in the shop (besides a $3800 Goodall) that spoke to me. I have a 712 that is currently my only guitar so I my serious strumming urges have gone somewhat unfufilled. That's where a good old fashioned dread comes in. The thing I like most so far is the stock 1 3/4 neck! I had a 510 a while back that I loved but had to sell beacuse I realized my gorilla hands were just too cramped with the then stock 1 11/16 neck. The 410 has a good dread bass response and a lot of mid and high sparkle. It is not the shimmer sparkle of an 810 but more of an edgier tone, with a lot of presence. Also, a lot of volume (compared to a 712) and very little buzz with the medium gauge strings when you play with a heavier percussive feel. Of course going back to meds is a little tougher on the hands and the dread shape is not near as comfortable to sit with as a grand concert or auditorium. The ovangkol wood has a surprisingly variety of tones that you can conjure up depending on your attack. So far I think the variety of tone is one of the unique things about the ovangkol 400's. I'm sensing T.A.S. is going to bite me again! I hope this is of some help to your question; obviuosly I have not yet spent many hours with the guitar. I will post back with any more feedback, especially if I buy it. Cheers! John
Old 09-16-2001, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

John, I had the same reaction to the one that I played. I wish I could have really leaned into it. I am primarily a strummer and many guitars will either shine or whimp out when played hard. I have a 614CE that is not meeting my strumming needs either. I am also more partial to satin finish guitars, not as much maintanance. My dealer felt that the 4 series guitars with the "O" wood are really coming on. I had to agree, after all I settled on a 455CE for my 12 string and that was over a 355CE and 655CE!!
Old 09-17-2001, 03:18 PM

Hey Joe,
A follow up to my 410 on approval. Was all set to buy it even though this was one that came with a SKB case. I was just going to pay the extra $ for the luggage case. (I can't stand the SKB cases)
Well anyway I was calling around about cases and was talking to a mom and pop store about five hours away from me and we got on the topic of price. Turns out he could order one WITH the luggage case and still beat the best price from my dealer by a $262! I guess it pays to shop around, and that wasn't even from a big chain which I just won't do. Still this particular 410 in my local shop really sang, I hope the one on order will too. I hate when hardcore reality economics come into these decisions ( I am not a bargainer type) but in excess of $250 is some coin!
(With the $100 case upcharge that would be a difference of $362)
Still I guess if the new one is a dud I can try to get the sweet one. What to do...
Anyway, have you had any more thoughts of taking a 410 home?

P.S. The 410 I played had medium gauge Elixir polywebs on it but they were pretty old. When I took the guitar on approval I put on a fresh set of medium Nanowebs. Even though I prefer the Nanos on my 712, I think the 410 sounds a bit better with the Polys, a warmer sound, the nanos made for a bright dread with a sort of weird midrange "bark" Go figure, FWIW.
John
Old 09-17-2001, 07:44 PM
Charter Member

John,, Actually, I am still surprised that I didnt take the 410 home myself. I usually go with the impulse but , like you , something in the back of my mind said the price may have been a bit high. E-mail me direct and I will disclose this. At any rate, with the talk of a koa fall edition in the 400 series, I think I may lay low and see what shakes out of that tree.
Old 09-18-2001, 08:50 AM

I have posted here many times about how great I think the 410 is, both in terms of quality and value. When I bought mine (2000), I had just entered the higher-end acoustic market and never thought I'd spend upwards of $1,000 on a guitar. In fact, I had actually purchased a 310, but had fallen harder for the 410, so I immediately had them order me one and traded up for full credit.

I still have my 410, but just purchased a 714 via the Net, as well as a Baby several months ago. And it all started with the 410.
I have called it my "poor man's 810" because they look and sound so much alike (mine has the whiter binding), but for much less money. Plus, you're not as paranoid about it as you might be a $2000 one.

I had considered selling mine when I got the 714 because I do play it more, but I can't seem to part with it.

Jay

Gibson J45 1942 Banner Reissue Custom Shop
Gibson Advanced Jumbo Custom Shop
Martin HD-28
Martin OM-28
Martin 00-15M
Fender Tele Highway One Reissue
Fender Jazz Bass
Old 09-18-2001, 12:48 PM

Talking

I after years of drooling about owning a Taylor someday, I broke down and bought a 414 (Grand Audit.) about 7 months ago. What do I like about it? Everything!! Monster sound, great tone, and playability. I chose the Grand Auditorium (I had never played one before) because it was so comfortable to play and easy for me to get my arm around. After playing it, it's difficult for me to play a dreadnaught. Clearly, the GA is a great choice for finger style players like me.

Every now and then, I drop into a guitar store to play around. I love to do that to re-convince myself that Taylors are the best. Yesterday I went in and played a Martin, a Gibson and a Larivee, all of which cost considerably more than my Taylor. I also grabbed a 414 off the wall and played that. The comparison wasn't even close. The 414 was louder, sounded much batter and played wwwwaaaayyyy better. I walked out with a big smile in my face.
Old 09-20-2001, 02:52 PM

Stuart:

I think the 414 is the most versatile, price-wise guitar in the Taylor line. While it is satin finished back and sides (I'd love to see ovangkol in a gloss, especially the newer ones), it is a great strummer and fingerstyle compromise. The new cream binding is pretty, as is the coloration of the wood. I've seen some bearclawed Sitka tops that are truly amazing. And the tone.......

Jay

[ 09-20-2001: Message edited by: JayGon ]

Gibson J45 1942 Banner Reissue Custom Shop
Gibson Advanced Jumbo Custom Shop
Martin HD-28
Martin OM-28
Martin 00-15M
Fender Tele Highway One Reissue
Fender Jazz Bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification