The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-31-2001, 09:33 AM

Exclamation 814 BCE for sale on Ebay!

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...ndexURL=0&rd=1
Old 08-31-2001, 10:20 AM

Cool

Very nice back but wonder what the rest looks like. Ledgends of the fall edition. NICE! JW
Old 08-31-2001, 10:39 AM

$3400 for a used 814bce? No thanks.
If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Romans 12:18
Old 08-31-2001, 02:01 PM
Nichols Custom Inlay

I can not imagine that this guitar will get bid up to anywhere near the "buy it now price". But the fact that it is already bid above what I paid for my 814BCE from the dealer makes me feel pretty good.
Old 09-01-2001, 02:04 PM
Jim

Bill, take another look at the auction. As of this moment no one has even bid the $2,500. That is his starting price that so far no one has been willing to meet.

One can never tell about silly prices people will bid on Ebay, but this guy seems to be a bit off on his expectations. Then again, it may not be a bad strategy to try to get people to believe that it really is worth that by using all a lot of hype and no closeup pictures or pointing out the drawbacks (like the low quality, flat sawn, mismatched pieces rosewood back). If no one falls for it, he can always go back and relist it with a lower starting price and reserve.
Old 09-01-2001, 05:37 PM
Nichols Custom Inlay

Yup.... Your right 0 bids. I guess that is no surprise for what he is asking for it!
Old 09-01-2001, 11:07 PM

Good day to all,

Just my two cents on value here if I may:

There's nothing wrong with buying this fine instrument for the price this guys wants, provided it is in the shape he claims.

I admit, I do not understand the seller's reasons for NOT showing actual pictures of this product.

But back to the "value" of this fine intrumemnt:

Let's not under-rate this guitar.

1. First of all, try to find good Brazilian guitars for a song today -- it's darn hard to do, new or used.

2. FACT: This guitar "could" have cost at least $4,500 and $4,900.00 if it was on a "special order" from Taylor and not a "special offering" series. Taylor will confirm that. This guitar "could" sell used, in new or mint shape, for any price around $4,000.00 or what the market will bear. Some guitars are investments and some are not. One made with Brazilian wood is a reasonable investment and can hold value longer.

3. A "Taylor 814-BCE Legend of The Fall" -- is NOT a low quality instrument and does not have low quality Brazilian. There is no such catagory from Taylor. A three piece back in it self means little. You either have 24 karet gold or 18 karet gold or 14 karet gold, etc cetera -- but gold is gold. Gold isn't Brass. We start with cuts from the most expensive, aged, quarter-sawn Brazilian rosewood, used in the most expensive presentation class instruments -- that's the 24K. Then you work the cuts back from the log, till the cuts become flat-sawn, from the aged, dried log. That's the 18K. It's still good Brazilian. As long as it's not riddled with a zillion worm holes, and compromised by a mass of knot holes and branch crotches, and as long as it's good enough to be used by a "top maker" like Taylor -- then it's a darn good piece of Brazilian and can comand the price.
So, flat sawn or quarter sawn, it's still an Engleman/Brazilian made by Taylor so it's worth the current price.

4. Product FACT: Speaking only about the Taylor 800 Legend of the Fall Brazilian series specifically, anyone who owns one has a great guitar, and it's as good as any Brazilian out there (excluding any quarter-sawn Presentation Quality instrument from the top luthiers).

"If" this instrument is in like new shape, as stated, it's worth the current price and more.

Oh, CaptBill, sir . . . if you invested less than the current Bid for your 814bce, you got a GREAT DEAL, sir. . . and yes, you should be smiling from ear-to-ear for a very long time.

Have a great day!!
-grm

[ 09-03-2001: Message edited by: gmccall ]
Old 09-02-2001, 09:54 AM

***CLARIFICATION***
The guitar is MINT gentleman! I am fanatical and meticulous about my guitars. The top of the guitar looks EXACTLY like the photo! That's wht I did not take another! There are not even ANY pick marks on the pick-guard!
PS The back is actualy a beautiful 3 piece. I've never seen a 3 piece that the middle matched the 2 sides! It would have been a 2 piece then!
Take care!
Old 09-02-2001, 11:03 AM
Nichols Custom Inlay

Taylorman,
My apologies, No disrespect meant. I have a 2000 814BCE and can attest to how great the guitars are. I would also be quite pleased to see you get the price that you are asking. I have no idea what price you paid for yours and I don't recall what the list price was but I am sure that it was more than what you are asking. I will of course not post here what my price from my dealer was but if you would like to know just e-mail me.
Best of Luck with your auction.

Sorry for the typo, I have corrected it to read 2000. Just finally gotten used to writing 2001...my goof

[ 09-02-2001: Message edited by: CaptBill ]
Old 09-02-2001, 04:40 PM

how do you have a 2001 814bce?? i thought the legend of the falls were made as 2000 models. do they still make 814bce's??
Old 09-02-2001, 05:33 PM

Exclamation

The Legends of the Fall WAS strictly 2000. There is no 2001. Except perhaps it was purchased in 2001!
Old 09-02-2001, 10:36 PM
Nichols Custom Inlay

Typo correction has been made to post above to read 2000. Sorry for any confusion.
Old 09-03-2001, 08:38 AM

Cool

I see some people getting really wound up here. I can tell you from experiance that brazilion cost some big bucks. My Presentation grade 910B (its a PS 10 with 900 cindy inlay) is expensive. While the guitar didnt sell I feel it was worth every penny of the "buy it now price" if the guitar was as in nice a shape as claimed. I feel as though a good frontal shot and some side shots would have made the differance in this guitar makeing the sale and not getting a bid. If Im going to pay 3300 hundred dollars for a guitar I want to see everything up close and the case. We know our onw guitars and no matter how great we know they are it hard to take someone else word on it when you are talking over three grand. 800 series brazilion is about as nice as it comes until yo hit PS level. Not that there is much tonal differance but rather the cosmetic end. Ive played a few 810Bs that sounded better than my Pres. 910B with what was suppose to be the finest Brazilian Taylor had to offer at the time. When a reg 910 cost about 3K I dont think a 814BCE LOTF in real nice shape is out of line. I just think it needed better exposure. A few nicer pictures and I might have tossed in a bid or two. JW

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification