The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-06-2001, 11:28 AM

Post soundboard with a visible stress wrinkle

It really bugs me but it is only when the light hits it a certain way. I have seen lots of guitars with this sort of thing. It seems to be just an area where the top is under stress from the bracing, I guess.... I have seen guitars with perfectly unblemished tops and many other guitars that are in great health but show this kind of thing. This one seems to be more prominent than others I have seen. It just happened recently too, it wasn't as pronounced in the showroom. I brought it home and 3 weeks later it had this wrinkle and a buzzing problem. And no,I didn't let it get hot in a car or anything, it was treated the same as I treated my other 510 that I had for 3years and never had any problems.... I actually thought it was a loose brace. Causing the buzz AND the wobble. Taylor has just seen this guitar and didn't think (the top) was something worth commenting on. They said there were no loose braces or structural problems and they leveled the frets and put a new nut on and adjusted the action. This still would not explain why it played well when I bought it and started buzzing three weeks later. I am really concerned, can't wait to see it (Ups truck arriving any minute I hope). I know Taylor will do right by me if this guitar just flips out or something....

Anyway, a top wrinkle, Is this kind of thing purely cosmetic? Not anything to worry about as far as the future life of the instrument? Why do some taylors (and other guitars) get them and others do not? Would it affect the value of the instrument?
Old 07-16-2001, 12:35 PM

Hi,

Gee I can't really comment, but wondering how it turned out?

-grm
Old 07-17-2001, 07:46 AM

I have a 1996 Taylor 714 that I bought in January 1997. Shortly after I bought it, I noticed a top wrinkle just below and behind the treble side of the bridge. I took it to the local luthier. He said it was of no structural concern, and may in fact, go away with time.

Well he was right. Today, there is no wrinkle. I can't explain it, it just went away over time.

I also had a nasty buzzing problem that developed about a year after I had the guitar sounded like it came from the bridge. I, like you, though it was a loose brace. The luthier checked it out and could not explain it. Strangely, when I got the guitar back, the buzz had subsided. Since the luthier stored the guitar in humidity controlled conditions, I concluded it must be related to that. Today the buzz still comes and goes, and in fact does seem to be related to humidity. If I really humidify the guitar well, no buzz. If it dries out even a little, then buzz.

Good luck, and let me know if you find out anything different.
Old 08-27-2001, 10:39 AM

Bagelsgirl:

I had the same question re my 410 (and my new 714 has the same thing). In certain light, say, from a window or TV, you can see indentations in the soundboard. Mine have them near the bridge, but also near the upper bout, especially in the cedar, where the braces are.

I talked with Taylor and they assured me that it is no indication of any structural damage, bad braces, etc., but a reflection of the natural, "living" nature of solid wood guitars, as long as they were being properly treated, i.e., humidified, etc.

Hope this helps.

Jay

Gibson J45 1942 Banner Reissue Custom Shop
Gibson Advanced Jumbo Custom Shop
Martin HD-28
Martin OM-28
Martin 00-15M
Fender Tele Highway One Reissue
Fender Jazz Bass
Old 09-02-2001, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bagelsgirl:
<STRONG>It really bugs me but it is only when the light hits it a certain way. I have seen lots of guitars with this sort of thing. It seems to be just an area where the top is under stress from the bracing, I guess.... I have seen guitars with perfectly unblemished tops and many other guitars that are in great health but show this kind of thing. This one seems to be more prominent than others I have seen. It just happened recently too, it wasn't as pronounced in the showroom. I brought it home and 3 weeks later it had this wrinkle and a buzzing problem. And no,I didn't let it get hot in a car or anything, it was treated the same as I treated my other 510 that I had for 3years and never had any problems.... I actually thought it was a loose brace. Causing the buzz AND the wobble. Taylor has just seen this guitar and didn't think (the top) was something worth commenting on. They said there were no loose braces or structural problems and they leveled the frets and put a new nut on and adjusted the action. This still would not explain why it played well when I bought it and started buzzing three weeks later. I am really concerned, can't wait to see it (Ups truck arriving any minute I hope). I know Taylor will do right by me if this guitar just flips out or something....

Anyway, a top wrinkle, Is this kind of thing purely cosmetic? Not anything to worry about as far as the future life of the instrument? Why do some taylors (and other guitars) get them and others do not? Would it affect the value of the instrument?</STRONG>
My comments concern only what you refer to as
'top wrinkle' Depends what you mean by this.
Wood which is 'wrinkled' is serious, but I think this is only likely if your guitar became saturated with water or in a very humid atmosphere. Perhaps you mean that you see what appears to be a wrinkle when in fact it is a grain mismatch or even grain run-out. Do not be alarmed by this, unless it is very pronounced, I wouldn't worry.
I've had an instrument with grain run-out for years and its no problem. The biggest problem is that I know it is there! Once I learned to live and forget it, it surprising how well the instrument began to play!
Good Luck.
Robbi
Old 09-02-2001, 09:48 AM

Cool

On the lower E side of the bridge on one of my 310Ks you can see a "wrinkle" as you call it. I call it more of a "stress factor" I find that sometimes its there and sometimes its not. Due to the changing chararistics of solid wood I wouldnt give it to much concern. I see it a little in all my solid wood guitars. JW

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification