The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-18-2001, 12:55 AM

Post Review: WH "Touch" Guitar Sampler CD

Twelve tracks, all acoustic guitar pieces with minimal accompanyment: 2 by Michael Hedges, 2 by Alex De Grassi; 2 by Will Ackerman, all six reprised from earlier albums. 3 tracks from Taylor Wood & Steel I/Wood & Steel 2 CD's( R. Freeman, D. Dykes, S. Walden). The 3 other tracks are from lesser known players, one each by David Cullen, Steve Erquiaga & Sean Harkness.

Overall: rate 4 out of 5 stars. At least 3/4ths of these songs are available on other CDs that have been recently released, some multiple times already. However the material is excellent.

Special Note:
Will Ackerman, past president of Windam Hill helped in the selecting the tracks and wrote the liner notes. His last entry reads: "I met Doyle Dykes at a NARM convention in Los Angeles. We were both guests of Taylor Guitars and were to play for a group of guitar and record industry types; definitely a tough room. I have never been so grateful for a technical failure in my life as when my system crashed just as I was to follow Doyle Dykes. Doyle had played a short concert of such staggering technical ability that I feared my own musical meanderings would be ridiculous. What struck me then still stikes me now: there are plenty of technically precise guitar players in the world, but to find someone who possesses that ability and combines it with musical expression from the heart is a rare and wonderful thing indeed. Doyle Dykes is very much that combination."

Michael

[ 08-18-2001: Message edited by: waterdogmtb ]
Old 08-23-2001, 11:11 PM

Thumbs up

I got this album a couple of weeks ago too. I'd pretty much give it a 4/5 too.

The only guitar CD I have that I like more is the original 'sounds of wood & Steel'

On"Touch", I kind of like the verion of Faure's 'Pavanne'.

[ 08-23-2001: Message edited by: phoenixcager ]

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification