The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 11-18-2002, 03:50 PM

Default How do you train your ear?

What is a good way to train my ear to recognize notes and chords as well as be able to tune accurately by ear? I know someone here has tried out those ear training tapes. How did those turn out?
Old 11-18-2002, 11:20 PM

ummm...this is a hard one...for me, i dont actually listen to the note played, i listen to the tone that you hear after a note is played as it is fading out...for me its actually a feeling more than something i am hearing...this goes for chords and for tuning the guitar...when i strum an e chord i can tell if its not right and i can tell which string it is, but not immediately...as the chord begins to quieten, listen...i dont really know how to explain this...its not perfect pitch...i dont know what it is or if i am even making sense...probably not making any sense...ill stop now..hope this has been somewhat of a help

matt
www.joeyjustsaidit.com
Old 11-19-2002, 08:02 AM

Default Re: How do you train your ear?

Quote:
Originally posted by nnvan
What is a good way to train my ear to recognize notes and chords as well as be able to tune accurately by ear? I know someone here has tried out those ear training tapes. How did those turn out?
You need to listen to your instrument in relation to something else, whether it's a recording or another instrument. Instead of tuning with an electronic tuner, try using something that generates a tone - a tuning fork puts out the purest note, with no overtones. You can also get a cheap electronic metronome that generates a tuning note.

For general ear training, you might consider getting an electronic keyboard. Look for one that has one-touch rhythm and a sustain pedal. The pedal is for playing a note or chord and letting it sustain while you play notes on your guitar and listen to how it sounds. For instance, try hitting an A on the keyboard and then play an A major arpeggio on the guitar. Listen to the notes, and see if you can tell if something is out of tune.

The one-touch feature lets you select a rhythm and a tempo, and by hitting one or two notes, you select the major or minor chord that is played by the built-in rhythm section. Now play your notes and chords and listen to how they sound against your rhythm section.

Casio makes one of these for less than $200 - the model name escapes me right now.

There are various relative pitch ear training courses and software which could teach you to recognize chord types and intervals, you can search for 'musician ear training' under google.

My opinion about perfect pitch - you don't need it, you may not be able to develop it, and some feel it's a handicap because you listen to music differently from the rest of the world. Musicians need relative pitch.
Old 11-26-2002, 12:53 PM

Default ear training techniques

One technique that helps me figure out what chords I'm hearing on a recording is to listen to the bass notes that a player uses to go from one chord group to another.

If the base notes don't tell me anything, I still focus on the chord changes. I will sometimes look for economy of movement in the left/fretting hand. For instance, "What's the quickest, most logical physical movement to take me from one chord to the next?" I assume the orginal composer may have taken the same route, and usually it works.

Hope that helps.

Tom Fuldner
Raleigh, NC
Old 11-26-2002, 01:34 PM

Duct tape...they don't hardly stick out at all now.
Old 11-26-2002, 01:44 PM

I think the question being asked is of a priori note and chord recognition. That is, if you're listening to bass notes, how can one tell that a particular note is an E? an F?

There is a thread around here somewhere about ear training...where is it...

If you want to succeed, you should strike out on new paths rather than travel the worn paths of accepted business. John D. Rockefeller

Uncork New York!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell