The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 11-13-2019, 12:24 PM
Arthur Slowhand Arthur Slowhand is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: The Cotswolds, UK
Posts: 297
Red face NGD. Slowhand eats humble pie!

If anyone has noticed my posts on my recently acquired Gibson J-15, they'll know how much I like it (or thought I did) - and how it's made me a convert from Martin (or thought I was).

Well, erm, permission to eat humble pie BIG TIME... I just brought home a gorgeous used Martin OM1-GT from GuitarGuitar, in Birmingham and the Gibson is going back from whence it came. So, after a brief fling, I'm back home with Martin (or is it Martine?) and begging forgiveness for my transgression.

Doesn't need me to say the Gibson is a great guitar, but I put my over-enthusiasm down to 'Nobody Wants to Admit they Bought the Wrong Guitar' syndrome. One thing that really niggled me about it - and why I went to look at the Martin - was the gloss neck... also (I'm making excuses) the intonation wasn't exactly spot on, whereas the Martin sounds as close as it can be on a fixed saddle.

The OM1 is the sweetest Martin I've tried, at my pay grade that is. Lovely clarity and string separation, bell-like trebles and just enough bass to beef things up nicely and sausage fingers appreciate the wider string spacing at the nut and bridge.
  #2  
Old 11-13-2019, 12:26 PM
Arthur Slowhand Arthur Slowhand is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: The Cotswolds, UK
Posts: 297
Default

PS. Does anyone have string recommendations for the OM1-GT? And what to avoid. I'll stick with 12's. My inclination is Martin Retro's. Doesn't need them yet.
  #3  
Old 11-13-2019, 02:14 PM
Stevien Stevien is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Oregon (God's Country)
Posts: 1,201
Wink

All my Martins sing with Elixer 80/20 bronze 12-53s.
Steve
__________________
"Naturally torrified, & unnaturally horrified, since 1954"

2013 Jeff Bamburg FSC
2008 Martin OMCE Walnut
2008 Martin OMC Cherry
2015 Martin SSC-OM35-15
  #4  
Old 11-13-2019, 02:18 PM
dwasifar's Avatar
dwasifar dwasifar is offline
A Rainbow in Curved Air
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 655
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Slowhand View Post
Slowhand eats humble pie!
Or in this case, cotton wool pie.

Glad you're enjoying your rollercoaster ride. For what it's worth, I have that daily when switching between a Taylor and a Larrivée. Sometimes the Larrivée is the best ever, and the Taylor is thin and jangly. Other times the Taylor is the best ever, and the Larrivée is nasal and thuddy. I'm pretty sure the guitars themselves aren't changing.
  #5  
Old 11-13-2019, 03:15 PM
Arthur Slowhand Arthur Slowhand is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: The Cotswolds, UK
Posts: 297
Default

PPS. It appears I've offended Martin owners with a previous post on another thread. It was meant in good humour - sorry if that was lost in translation, but apologies to anyone who took it the wrong way.
  #6  
Old 11-13-2019, 06:09 PM
keith.rogers keith.rogers is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Texas
Posts: 317
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Slowhand View Post
PS. Does anyone have string recommendations for the OM1-GT? And what to avoid. I'll stick with 12's. My inclination is Martin Retro's. Doesn't need them yet.
I stretch my string life as far as I can, and find the Martin Lifespan give me a good run for the money.

I'm still trying to decide if the current "2.0 Authentic" version is really an improvement or not, but they seem to be doing well on my GPCPA3. (My last set of the 1.0 version is on my mahogany OM and they sound excellent on that guitar. It will be a few months before they need changed.)

The main knock about them is that they are expensive at $12.99/set. I just picked up a 3-pack from Sweetwater where they are selling those at a buy 2, get one free price, i.e., the 3-pack is the same price as 2 single sets.

I tried the Retros, but while I thought they sounded great right away, they lost their sound too quickly for me, and I went back to the Lifespans. Others seem happy, so YMMV, as they say.
__________________
"I know in the morning that it's gonna be good, when I stick out my elbows and they don't bump wood." - Bill Kirchen
Home Recordings on SoundCloud - Home Recordings on YouTube
Martin GPCPA3, "homemade" (1980) hog-OM
  #7  
Old 11-13-2019, 06:42 PM
lowrider lowrider is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 2,998
Default

My CS OM-18 was a monster with Retro's. It was a blast to play but it was hard for me to sing with. I tried DR Sunbeam's and it became the sweetest thing ever. Now it has D'Addario phos/bronze and it's still sweet but with more power. It will be staying with phos/bronze for quite a while.
  #8  
Old 11-13-2019, 06:57 PM
llew llew is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Coastal South Carolina
Posts: 8,915
Default

Nothing wrong with owning Martin or Gibson...or both. I'm sure lots of folks here (including me) own both. Or any other builder for that matter?
__________________
Jim
You can never do the wrong thing by doing the right thing...
  #9  
Old 11-14-2019, 03:53 AM
Wade Hampton Wade Hampton is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Chugiak, Alaska
Posts: 25,788
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Slowhand View Post
PPS. It appears I've offended Martin owners with a previous post on another thread. It was meant in good humour - sorry if that was lost in translation, but apologies to anyone who took it the wrong way.
Well, first the Guitar Police SWAT team who were on their way to pay you a midnight visit had a GPS malfunction, and were searching for you in the Peak District rather than the Cotswolds. Then they drove north until they ran out of road in John O’Groats and said:

“Where IS this guy? And why are all these people driving on the wrong side of the road?!?”

After reading your most recent transmission with your gracious explanation of your sense of humor, I contacted the team via a secure line and told them to stand down and return to base.

Which they will, eventually, once they figure out how to drive unscathed through all those roundabouts you have over there.....

Hope this helps!


Wade Hampton Miller
  #10  
Old 11-14-2019, 04:48 AM
AndrewG AndrewG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Exeter, UK
Posts: 6,962
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Well, first the Guitar Police SWAT team who were on their way to pay you a midnight visit had a GPS malfunction, and were searching for you in the Peak District rather than the Cotswolds. Then they drove north until they ran out of road in John O’Groats and said:

“Where IS this guy? And why are all these people driving on the wrong side of the road?!?”

After reading your most recent transmission with your gracious explanation of your sense of humor, I contacted the team via a secure line and told them to stand down and return to base.

Which they will, eventually, once they figure out how to drive unscathed through all those roundabouts you have over there.....

Hope this helps!


Wade Hampton Miller
If you think our roundabouts are bad don't ever visit Paris. Cars coming onto the roundabout have priority, ensuring chaos and plenty of dings. Italy is even worse; many drivers leave their hand brakes off when parking in congested areas so the next chap can gently 'nudge' yours while squeezing into impossible gaps.
__________________
Martin D-18 Standard, 2018
Guild Jumbo Junior flame maple, 2019
  #11  
Old 11-14-2019, 10:50 AM
dwasifar's Avatar
dwasifar dwasifar is offline
A Rainbow in Curved Air
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 655
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
If you think our roundabouts are bad don't ever visit Paris. Cars coming onto the roundabout have priority, ensuring chaos and plenty of dings. Italy is even worse; many drivers leave their hand brakes off when parking in congested areas so the next chap can gently 'nudge' yours while squeezing into impossible gaps.
I live in the midwestern USA, and I have a roundabout within sight of my house. Illinois and Wisconsin are building loads of them.
  #12  
Old 11-14-2019, 11:16 AM
Wade Hampton Wade Hampton is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Chugiak, Alaska
Posts: 25,788
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwasifar View Post
I live in the midwestern USA, and I have a roundabout within sight of my house. Illinois and Wisconsin are building loads of them.
Oh, it’s happening in Anchorage and in the Matanuska Valley north of the city, too. It’s like an opportunistic infection...


whm
  #13  
Old 11-14-2019, 11:28 AM
Earl49 Earl49 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Idaho
Posts: 7,816
Default

Roundabouts are all the rage with FHWA back in DC. If you want any federal funds for your road, you build them - or else. Not a fan here, as they almost universally need a much larger radius than as built.
  #14  
Old 11-14-2019, 02:36 PM
dwasifar's Avatar
dwasifar dwasifar is offline
A Rainbow in Curved Air
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 655
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Oh, it’s happening in Anchorage and in the Matanuska Valley north of the city, too. It’s like an opportunistic infection...
I rather like our nearby one. It cleared up the traffic problems we'd had when that intersection was a four way stop. From 5 to 6:30pm it would usually take you ten minutes to inch your way through the backups to get to that intersection. Now everything flows faster, except for the occasional driver who's never seen a roundabout before, and those are getting less frequent every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Roundabouts are all the rage with FHWA back in DC. If you want any federal funds for your road, you build them - or else. Not a fan here, as they almost universally need a much larger radius than as built.
That's a problem, yeah, because they retrofit them into intersections bordered by private land and don't want to buy people's houses to tear them down. (Although for our local one, I wish they had; those two houses are tumbledown eyesores.)

When this one was being built, they put ROAD CLOSED LOCAL TRAFFIC ONLY barricades up in all four directions. We live a little bit south of the intersection, and the nearest major intersection on that stretch of road is over a mile south. Naturally a lot of people would ignore the barricade signs and head up the road anyway. When they got to the construction site and realized it was legitimately impassable, they'd turn in to our residential areas trying to find the Northwest Passage that would lead them around the obstruction. There was none, and eventually they would have to go back the way they came. We could see people driving north from our back deck, and we'd make bets on how long it would be before we'd see them drive back south in defeat. Middle-aged women in expensive SUVs and young men in street racers with fart-cannon exhausts always took the longest.
  #15  
Old 11-14-2019, 04:54 PM
andyspur andyspur is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Hereford, UK
Posts: 83
Default

At least they are trying to do something instead of just standing on the sidelines criticising....
Closed Thread

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=