The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-13-2019, 10:03 PM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks again to everyone who has provided suggestions and shared their experiences, much appreciated. I have been researching all of the guitars and checking out a lot of videos. I will try to speak to the folks at SCGC this week to get their input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
Carolyn has been touring a fair bit and has a new EP out - very worth checking out. Search YouTube for the Carolyn Sills Combo -

But even when she’s on the road she’s on-line and extremely responsive, and returns calls very quickly, so I’d say call when you can and get it started!

I agree with others that the 00 is too small (physically) for me - but their model H (not necessarily the H13) is a really great size if you’re looking for a smaller body model, and you might consider koa for b&s as well -
Thanks Tadol. I checked out the Carolyn Sills Combo - very cool! I hope she doesn’t mind if I share one of her videos here:

Old 11-13-2019, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWSog View Post

Thanks Tadol. I checked out the Carolyn Sills Combo - very cool! I hope she doesn’t mind if I share one of her videos here:

Whoa! How cool is that? Playing a bass and singing Marty Robbins.
Old 11-13-2019, 11:13 PM
Charter Member

Thats one of the songs from their new EP - a series of songs about the various characters mentioned in Marty Robbins El Paso - the handsome gentleman on guitar is Carolyns husband Gerard Egan, who is both an amazing guitar player, and worked for some years at Santa Cruz and is an amazing luthier/tech himself, working out of Sylvan Music in Santa Cruz when the band isn’t on the road. Unfortunately, he can’t work from a laptop and cell phone the way Carolyn can -

And Carolyn has worked with, by, for, and around a lot of really great musicians - she even got to perform with Les Paul! - and that background and experience, combined with working closely with Richard Hoover and the other luthiers at SCGC for some time now, is the expertise she brings if you want to talk about what you need in a guitar - she’s a unique interface between the musician and the luthier, and she’s just sweet as heck, too -

Since you posted that - this is my wife's favorite song, and when they see her at a gig, they know she won’t let them leave the stage ‘til they cover it -

https://youtu.be/q2o8SaG6Fbw
Old 11-14-2019, 12:17 AM

Perhaps the OP may find what he is looking for in the Santa Cruz stable with the FS model? I haven't had the chance to play one but would like the chance to one day. I have played traugott Model R before which can be said to be a descendant and further development of the FS by Jeff Traugott who was one of the original designers of the FS model, and the Model R was one of the best guitars I have ever experienced.
Old 11-14-2019, 06:27 AM
Charter Member

And there is this Mahogany OM that SCGC just shipped to the Music Emporium!

https://santacruzguitar.com/just-shipped/

An All Tree OM!

Old 11-14-2019, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post

An All Tree OM!

HOKEY SMOKERS !!!
Have you seen the "Just Shipped" photos for the last 10 days on the SCGC website??.......They are reaching stratospheric Heights.

Life is a journey...not a guided tour...
Old 11-14-2019, 11:00 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post

An All Tree OM!

I might go blind looking at that one!

This sinker redwood over mahogany 000 is one that I could live with...
Old 11-17-2019, 06:46 PM
AGF Sponsor

Thought I’d post a follow-up (I’m the OP). Thanks again to everyone who commented and provided advice. I’ve listened to a lot of sound samples and videos, and have done a lot of reading. Per the universal advice here, I called Santa Cruz guitars the other day and spoke to Carolyn who couldn’t have been more friendly or helpful. With her guidance, I’m leaning towards an OM/PW with a European spruce top and mahogany back and sides. Now I just need to make it happen (there will be posts in the classifieds here in the next couple of weeks for my Kopp and Waterloo). Ordering a new one with my choice of specs sure sounds ideal and fun...of course finding a used one would be cheaper.

Incidentally, I went to a local shop which doesn’t carry Santa Cruz, but did have a few nice Collings in spruce/mahogany (OM’s and 000) and a couple of Martin Authentics (00-18 and OM-18). All were excellent, wonderful guitars...and none tempted me to buy.
Old 11-17-2019, 07:21 PM

Good luck with the search and process, Larry. I don't have experience with Santa Cruz, so not able to comment on that. Sounds like you hit a sweet spot with talking to the dealer's front person, carolyn.
I must say, it's a blast to have a custom built for you......that would be the way I'd go!
Best,
Fred
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 11-17-2019, 07:36 PM

I played a Rosewood/Sitka Santa Cruz 00 with a cutaway in Nashville some months ago that I thought was perfectly well balanced. That particular one has sold, but I'd look for one of those myself.
Taylor 562ce 12-string
Old 11-17-2019, 11:00 PM

Give it time and play a bunch new and used. You’ll find one that you like
Old 11-18-2019, 11:47 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguitar View Post
Good luck with the search and process, Larry. I don't have experience with Santa Cruz, so not able to comment on that. Sounds like you hit a sweet spot with talking to the dealer's front person, carolyn.
I must say, it's a blast to have a custom built for you......that would be the way I'd go!
Best,
Fred
You might have sold me on that, Fred, giving it some heavy thought. Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Hayden View Post
Give it time and play a bunch new and used. You’ll find one that you like
This is smart advice, thanks. The problem is that it would take a long, multi-city road trip to find the models with the right woods that I’m interested in. I suppose I could purchase some to try from those with a return policy, but I’ve never been comfortable doing that.
Old 11-18-2019, 02:51 PM
Charter Member

You can't go wrong so just pick one

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 11-18-2019, 03:39 PM

In late 2015 I contracted with a SCGC Dealer to have them build me a custom 1934 D with 45 style appointments.
I visited with the dealer (who was in Nashville) several times ( I live in S.W. Fl.). I spoke with members of the the Forum who were very versed on S.C. guitars.
I spoke with and emailed Mr. Hoover and Carolyn Sills numerous times until all of us had it "Dialed" in.
It was one of the great moments of my life when my wife and I traveled to Santa Cruz in Sept. 2016 to attend the 40th birthday party and Richard presented me with the 1934 Zorro D-45 at the end of a factory tour.
During the process my wife and I met a whole bunch of wonderful folks who have become great friends.......
If you are fortunate enough to have SCGC build you a custom guitar DO IT !
You will gain more than just a great instrument......you will meet and work with talented people who dearly love what they do and want nothing more than to
Fulfill your dreams.
Also you will become a member of a clan that will support you and your Santa Cruz Guitar.

Life is a journey...not a guided tour...

Last edited by HFox; 11-18-2019 at 03:45 PM.
Old 11-18-2019, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

I’ve commissioned 5 guitars from 4 different builders. All have been a smashing success with a fantastic outcome in each and every case. However, the SCGC OMG I commissioned was far and away the best experience. I worked directly with Carolyn throughout the design & build process. I contracted with The Music Emporium, but my conversations about the build were directly with SCGC. Carolyn listened carefully and thoughtfully to what I was aiming for. She made suggestions about the woods and they tailored the build to absolutely nail my tonal & playing expectations. You may decide to buy used and I’m sure that will provide you with a great guitar. But there is something special about working through a custom build with a trusted and thoughtful builder like SCGC IMO.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion