The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-25-2010, 09:35 AM

Default What do you play?

Now that we have this new section, tell us about your favorite Nylon string guitars and which ones you own.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:49 AM

My main squeeze these days is a 2007 McGill "Turbo" in Cocobolo/Cedar. 20 frets, 660 mm, extra-jumbo fretwire and strap-button for my near-vertical strap setup. Great tone, very poetic and rich, sometimes I wish it had a bit more overall power, but I guess that's what the next guitar will address

I also have a very beautiful 1993 Fabio Ragghianti, in Fiemme Spruce and Birdseye, that I keep at home in Italy for when I go visit. Again 660 mm, monster-size neck, really sweet&strong fundamental voice.
You can read more about her here:
http://www.giacomofiore.com/archives...th-old-friends

Overall, I really can't complain. Of course there's always room for improvement, and if the occasion arose (and I had a bunch of money) I'd probably try and snag a spruce with massive power for the unamplified stage (the McGill amplifies rather beautifully with a Schertler Dyn-G and some EQ...); features like a soundport and elevated fingerboards also come to mind. I'm keeping an eye on makers like Gil Carnal, Greg Byers, and Olivier Fandon D'Anton, even though the latter two are definitely out of budget for a lowly PhD student
Old 03-25-2010, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbetta View Post
the latter two are definitely out of budget for a lowly PhD student
I want all AGF forumites to know Giacomo (Corbetta) is a VERY accomplished performing classical guitarist in the northern cal area! We're blessed to have him contributing to our posts.

I have two wonderful Rodrigo Moreira guitars, a 2006 Moreira Hauser Concert (Cedar/Brazilian) and a brand new 2010 Moreira Jeff Elliot replica (Spruce/Brazilian).

Patiently waiting on Graf tuners for the Moreira Elliot!!!

Fred
Old 03-25-2010, 10:06 AM

These days I definitely read articles/grade papers much more than I play, Fred...but thanks for the plug!

Graf tuners are excellent — I got some in 2006 for the upcoming McGill, and that was a bit before Jorg "made it big." End result: terrific tuners for a not so bad price!
Old 03-25-2010, 10:43 AM

Quote:
I'm keeping an eye on makers like Gil Carnal, Greg Byers, and Olivier Fandon D'Anton, even though the latter two are definitely out of budget for a lowly PhD student
Although the sound lost almost all of its grace, this is a Fanton D'Anton of a friend of mine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdf70x2tk3A
Played during one of our Brazilian guitar forum meetings.
Some other nice guitars (some from local luthiers) in the 'related videos'.

For myself, I have two classicals, from Brazilian luthiers you guys will probably never know, but anyways:
One german spruce/BRW from Eduardo Zabotto and a Double Top (with Nomex) in Cedar/EIR from Emanuel Carvalho.
Some bad videos of them, just in case. Don't mind the player :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GznaxkrQF6c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EawoG8T7_yE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XmVSji61K8
Old 03-25-2010, 10:51 AM

Nice "BANG!" at the beginning of Villa-Lobos #1!

Youtube is definitely not flattering to guitar sound in general, but the character of your different guitars definitely comes through in the videos...nice job!

Guto, where are you in Brasil? I'm going to be in Sao Paulo and Rio towards the end of June for a wedding – my girlfirend is Paulista and her cousin's getting married, big party...
I'm potentially looking for a place to play (cafè, little theatre, guitar society...) amidst all the celebration, if you have any ideas...I'd love to add Brazil to the list of countries I've performed in!
Old 03-25-2010, 10:56 AM

Another nod in Giacomo's direction! He's played a couple of times at Doug Young's monthly acoustic guitar nights in Santa Clara, and I'm always in awe of his talent, technique, tone and repertoire. Kudos J! Love your McGill, too!

On the subject of the thread, I own a Tom Prisloe classical I bought in 1996 from now defunct Hand Picked Guitars in Detroit. It's an Englemann Spruce/ East Indian Rosewood small body guitar fashioned after a Hauser. It's got lots of volume and a wonderful tone. It's only gotten better over time. Plays easily and is fun to play.

A shot of the rosette.

Tom's website:

http://www.classicalguitarbuilder.com/

If I were in the market for another classical, I'd probably go for a Randy Reynolds or a Matt Mustapick. I've played them and they speak to me.

http://www.reynoldsguitars.com/

http://mustapickguitars.com/classical/intro/index.php
Old 03-25-2010, 10:58 AM

My main guitar is a Raimundo 146 full-scale classical with a solid western cedar top and solid EIR b/s, which I have come to cherish. It's gorgeous, and sounds fabulous with normal tension titanium trebles and Corum basses, especially since my right-hand technique has improved. This model is near the top of Raimundo's upper-mid level "concierto" series, and is thought to be one of their better values for the dollar, as it is their least expensive all-solid rosewood model.

My wife's guitar is an Almansa 435s. The 's' stands for Senorita. It's a 7/8's size classical with a 635mm scale and a 50mm nut. It is a gorgeous solid cedar/lam rosewood combo out of the upper middle of their line, and was built for hard tension strings according to Almansa, I assume because of the shorter scale. We use Pro Arte's on it. I have a clear pickguard on it now, and sometimes use it for flat picking, as the neck is a little closer to the typical short-scale steel-string. This guitar is incredibly warm and round with volume, clarity and sustain.

Both are a joy to play.

-brian

Last edited by aragorn; 03-25-2010 at 04:28 PM.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Nice "BANG!" at the beginning of Villa-Lobos #1!

Youtube is definitely not flattering to guitar sound in general, but the character of your different guitars definitely comes through in the videos...nice job!

Guto, where are you in Brasil? I'm going to be in Sao Paulo and Rio towards the end of June for a wedding – my girlfirend is Paulista and her cousin's getting married, big party...
I'm potentially looking for a place to play (cafè, little theatre, guitar society...) amidst all the celebration, if you have any ideas...I'd love to add Brazil to the list of countries I've performed in!
Yep, a girl just droped a TABLE at that time. Really.

Youtube is really terrible on guitar sound, but those videos were just to show the guitars to some friends at another forum, and they were not that good to begin with, just the cam's mic capturing it, so...
And lots of mistakes, just pointed and shooted. I like to think I play a little better than this nowadays.

Well, in fact, I'm from São Paulo (a Paulista too). I wonder if you are the boyfriend of some of my cousins, cause I'll be marry in June too ...but in the beggining of the month. And not that big of a party, hahaha.

I'll PM you my e-mail and we can talk about it in private, for sure. It would be nice.

Regards,
Gustavo.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:49 PM

I am a noob to the classical. Just to test the waters I bought a La Patrie Motif (parlor size) guitar two weeks ago. I am really enjoying it for the Paul Simon and Beatles/John Lennon songs I play. Julia sounds way good on it - better than on my more expensive steel string guitars. Landslide by Stevie Nicks does too. Provided one of my mandolins sells soon, I plan to get something in the $1000 range and will keep the Motif as a travel guitar for the nylon stuff.

Additional input:
I just purchased a Yamaha NTX 700. I wanted to get a full sized classical and played several. I almost pulled the trigger on a Cordoba C7 (I think that was the model). The as a lark I played the Yamaha. Totally different guitar, but as a steel string finger picker, it just seemed more comfortable to me. I still like the Motif, so now I have two with different tonal patterns to play.

Guitars:
A few, but on the hunt for the "one"

Last edited by MJScott; 04-08-2010 at 09:32 AM. Reason: additional input
Old 03-25-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJScott View Post
I am a noob to the classical. Just to test the waters I bought a La Patrie Motif (parlor size) guitar two weeks ago. I am really enjoying it for the Paul Simon and Beatles/John Lennon songs I play. Julia sounds way good on it - better than on my more expensive steel string guitars. Landslide by Stevie Nicks does too. Provided one of my mandolins sells soon, I plan to get something in the $1000 range and will keep the Motif as a travel guitar for the nylon stuff.
I too plan on a Motif as a travel guitar. LaPatrie makes great guitars at their price level.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:15 PM

Another noob to the classical. I'm sure I will stay mostly with the steel but its a nice change up. I bought a Amalio Burguet Nogal a few weeks ago and really like it. I'm learning a beautiful arrangement of a Hymn from Marcel (Sjonnie1) at this time. Lot's of fun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8H8O8DMm5-s

Last edited by mesa; 03-25-2010 at 02:22 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-25-2010, 03:29 PM

Cool

I can't say I own a classical. Used to, sold it. I do play a nylon string Yamaha NTX900FM which I purchased recently. I love the sound of nylon and the Yamaha fits my needs perfectly. It has 14 frets to the neck. The fingerboard is slightly radiused and the width at the nutt is 1 7/8. It does not have the volume of a classical (did I mention it is a cutaway and a mere 3.5" in depth) but what it lacks in volume, it makes up for in comfort. It is a very nice instrument to look at too. It comes with electronics which are sweet. michael s.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJScott View Post
I bought a La Patrie Etude classical guitar, my only classical, 13 years ago. They're great guitars. Not comparable to 1k guitars but nevertheless. I don't play it often but when I do I enjoy Greensleeves.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:41 PM

Location: Survive in Winnipeg, Manitoba - just North of Fargo, N.D.

Yamaha CG-171SF
Arabian Oud (11 string)

Rob
Canada

Brackett Sitka/Walnut Dreads 'Carol Ann' and '26' plus other stringed stuff ...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical