The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 09-20-2019, 10:21 PM

I saw Goodman live a couple of times at the Guthrie in Minneapolis. One show included Martin, Bogen and Armstrong as the opening act. I’ll never forget the audience reaction or my mother’s - I thought she was going to go into orbit, she loved them so much. My big mistake was buying tickets for the early show instead of the late one, which I’m sure had to go longer. He was indeed a force of nature.
Old 09-20-2019, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lweb10 View Post
I saw Goodman live a couple of times at the Guthrie in Minneapolis. One show included Martin, Bogen and Armstrong as the opening act. I’ll never forget the audience reaction or my mother’s - I thought she was going to go into orbit, she loved them so much. My big mistake was buying tickets for the early show instead of the late one, which I’m sure had to go longer. He was indeed a force of nature.
Seeing him w/them, Prine or Jethro had to be a dream come true...

I've probably posted this before, but I saw him @ Canal Street Tavern when "Artistic Hair" came out (he was selling/autographing copies there). Had tickets for both shows. During the second show, when folks called out requests, he said, "I did those in the first show. I don't want the folks here for both shows to hear repeats. The only tune I'll repeat is 'City'". A genuine class act...

Also, there's a website called "CV.Org" that has a blue million concerts downloaded for your listening (and occasional viewing) pleasure. They've got some Goodman and a few Prine...a real find...

Last edited by Cabarone; 09-21-2019 at 12:00 AM.
Old 09-21-2019, 05:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
I have no doubt that there are better, more authentic, ways to do it but, with me doing it, the Am, little F, slide up to little G, back to F, C are just one shot on each so it's more the rhythm that matters.

My banjo playing buddy and I are practicing it separately but we'll try it together at the Tuesday Jam. It's going to be rough, but I think it will work out great. Good thing I have the Martin Jumbo to keep him blowing me away!

i
I just did it again. It's actually two hits; do dit, do dit, do dit, do dit, do

I've got the easy part. All I'm doing is strumming and singing and I'll have the song sheet. I don't want to make you all mad, but I'm counting on the banjo to do all the heavy musical lifting!
Old 09-22-2019, 11:44 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
I just did it again. It's actually two hits; do dit, do dit, do dit, do dit, do

I've got the easy part. All I'm doing is strumming and singing and I'll have the song sheet. I don't want to make you all mad, but I'm counting on the banjo to do all the heavy musical lifting!
Hold it now. I'm a pretty forgiving guy, but did just mention a banjo in a Steve Goodman thread. That is striking such a low blow.

sm
Old 10-13-2019, 04:24 PM
Charter Member

[QUOTE=Charmed Life Picks;6156489]I think it's important not to call the authorities on a whim.

Now, if a banjo shows up.....[/QUOTE

We finally did it and it was great! 7 guitars and 7 enthusiastic singers versus the one banjo. I was sitting next to the banjo and he was really good. He came right in on the intro and really nailed it on the break. It's such a great song and everyone knows it so they can really get going on it.

It was a great afternoon with 9 players in all. Thanks Steve for a great song for a Sunday afternoon.
Old 10-14-2019, 07:14 AM
Charter Member

When I introduced it, two players who came before me in the circle had done songs by Hoagy Carmichael and praised as the greatest songwriter of the 20th century. When my turn came I said, this song, City of New Orleans, is by another great songwriter of the twentieth century; Steve Goodman. A woman on the other side of the circle who I had never met burst into applause and said ''I'm so glad you gave credit to Steve Goodman''!

We had a great time with the song and in my opinion, it was one of the highlights of the jam.

Last edited by lowrider; 10-14-2019 at 10:01 AM.
Old 10-30-2019, 04:39 PM
Charter Member

Last night we did ''City of New Orleans'' with 5 guitars, a mandolin and a piano. It wasn't Jethro Burns, but man was it cool.

It really is a marathon of a song. With so many chord changes, if I totally blow one, as long as I keep the rhythm going, it really doesn't matter much!
Old 10-30-2019, 09:22 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by auggie242 View Post

Try doing a performance like this while you're fighting leukemia.

I was lucky enough to see him twice. My all time favorite performer, even all these years later.
Auggie, every single person I've talked to over the years who had the great good fortune to see Steve in live performance -- and I'm talking hundreds -- says the identical thing: The single best solo performer I've ever seen in my life. And I mean, everyone says it.

I first saw Steve at the Santa Monica Civic more than 40 years ago. I was floored. I'm still floored. I remember exactly where I was sitting and he seared his memory into my brain like a branding iron. No one comes close.

Thanks, Auggie!
Scott
Old 11-06-2019, 04:38 AM

Just saw this on a SG fanpage on FB...hope it works...

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https..._7jwHcTn6VrMBs
Old 11-06-2019, 08:44 AM

Our local singer/songwriter show played several cuts from this remastered live performance in 1972:

https://music.amazon.com.br/albums/B07YTN2YP1

Think it’s on YouTube as well.
Old 11-13-2019, 10:46 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
Our local singer/songwriter show played several cuts from this remastered live performance in 1972:

https://music.amazon.com.br/albums/B07YTN2YP1

Think it’s on YouTube as well.
When Steve died in 1984, I made a promise to myself that I would do what I could to keep his music alive. This thread is a small part of that promise.

Thanks to everyone for your contributions.

Scott Memmer
Old 11-13-2019, 04:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
When Steve died in 1984, I made a promise to myself that I would do what I could to keep his music alive. This thread is a small part of that promise.

Thanks to everyone for your contributions.

Scott Memmer
Thank you for your efforts. Steve was a treasure.

Ron

Martin D28 (1988)
Guild JF30
Voyage Air MD-02
Collings D1
Bourgeois vintage OM
Old 11-13-2019, 10:32 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjlipton View Post
Thank you for your efforts. Steve was a treasure.

Ron
"Treasure." Perfect words for Steve.

sm
Old 11-13-2019, 10:56 PM

I just saw Arlo sing City of New Orleans tonight. He talked about Steve. Very nice.
Old 11-14-2019, 04:43 AM
Charter Member

I played ''City of N.O.'' this past Sunday with my banjo playing buddy and four other guitars. The song just plain works with the banjo. Don't call the cops we've already dispersed, but we will be back together soon!

And yes Scott, thank you for this thread. It has been a blast remembering Steve and his songs. Steve's memory lives on through the music. We actually have a small audience for the Sunday jam and both times we've played ''City'' someone commented about how much they love his songs.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN