The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-05-2021, 08:46 PM
Charter Member

Default Gs mini mahogany photos!

I know there are sooo many related threads but I’ve been looking for a new gs mini mahogany for a while and realized just how much the mahogany ranges in terms of color and figuring. I’ve seen some that are almost as light as spruce all the way to a dark chocolate brown.
With that said, if you have a gs mini mahogany did you pick it out based on looks, sound or did you buy site unseen?
Also I would love to see your tops if you would like to take the time to post photos!
Old 12-05-2021, 10:48 PM

I own a GS Mini Koa for 4 years and I think it’s a keeper. Maybe even a lifer. Mahogany tops are a great choice as it is the most popular top for GS Mini here in AGF.

I choose all my guitars based on looks and tone. I have never bought a guitar without first playing it. But I am also aware that some folks live very far away from guitar shops and do not have this option.

Below are the links to 2 threads. GS Mini Owner’s Club & Favourite topwood for GS Mini Poll. Lots of pictures of Mahogany top GS Mini.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=528669

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=532626
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 12-06-2021, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

I hadn't played a guitar in three decades when I pulled my wife's guitar off a shelf in the basement to play it and it was a cheap dreadnaught that her parents bought her used at an auction in high school. So I went looking for a better guitar and several people who know me suggested the Taylor GS Mini in mahogany. At the time there seemed to be a shortage of them and they were few and far between. I couldn't even find one in the bush to look at. So I finally located a new one on Reverb at The Fret Shop in Huntsville, Alabama. It looked good enough in the pictures so I bought it. Everything went well. I didn't really know what to expect because I had not seen one, played one, and I was buying it based solely on recommendations of friends. From the moment I unboxed it and started playing I loved it. To this day it is my number one. I've hauled it all over in my travels and around at home.

Mini.jpg

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 12-06-2021, 04:59 PM

Default GS Mini as a quick "go to"

I've had a mahogany GS mini hanging on my wall as decoration in my home guitar studio. All my other guitars--at least those I care about--have been stored in their hard-shell cases with humidipaks in my humidity and temperature controlled studio.

A few months ago I grabbed the GS mini because I needed a guitar fast, and WOW! I really enjoyed playing it. I especially enjoy the deep resonance actually vibrating into my torso.

So now I have a hole on my wall where I previously hung my "decorative" GS mini. It now sits in my guitar rack in a SKB hardshell case with humidipaks!

I guess it's off to Reverb to buy some "wall art." I might buy another GS mini once they make a mahogany with ES2. Just the right tone, not brassy and bright like Koa (my opinion, as experienced by my modest, not-meant-to-offend ears.)
Old 12-06-2021, 05:00 PM

A few songs I want to learn are in Nashville tuning and I'm thinking about getting a smaller body guitar to keep in NT. I'm thinking a GS Mini might be the ticket.
-Organic Sounds Select Guitars
-Down Home Guitars

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion