The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-04-2021, 01:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
Just went on the website to order eight picks, four size L and four size XL. At checkout, the goods cost came up at $15.92, the shipping to England came up at $69!! Wha-a-at?? How chuffin’ much??

FUGGEDDIT - it’s robbery on an astronomical scale, I’ll stick to my Propik Fingertones.

In the US, these are sold through Walmart.
I am not a fan of Walmart, but maybe they ship to the UK at a more reasonable rate?
To me in Denver, Walmart shipped at half the price of direct from Hawaii.
Old 12-04-2021, 04:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamolay View Post
In the US, these are sold through Walmart.
I am not a fan of Walmart, but maybe they ship to the UK at a more reasonable rate?
To me in Denver, Walmart shipped at half the price of direct from Hawaii.
Walmart don’t appear to ship outside the US - no provision on the website for export sales.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 12-04-2021, 05:00 PM

I did a quick check for anyone in Europe selling these and didn’t find anything. I guess that leaves eBay, maybe.

Old 12-04-2021, 05:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimelie View Post
I did a quick check for anyone in Europe selling these and didn’t find anything. I guess that leaves eBay, maybe.

Thanks Aimelie, only Kalena themselves selling on FleaBay, although shipping on there is down to $21-62. So $15-92 for eight picks, plus $21-62 shipping = $38-54 plus 25% UK taxes on import $9.64 = $48-18 total = $6-02 per pick.

Still expensive…

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 12-04-2021, 07:51 PM
Charter Member

For those who have bonded, how are you wearing them? I see that they can be worn in different ways. I don’t have enough mail to wear them under the nail
Like the Alaska.
Old 12-04-2021, 09:17 PM
Charter Member

I'm wearing them where they just slide under the tip of my finger nail by a small amount. I don't have much in the way of nails either.

I lose quite a bit of "touch" using these, but I like the tone much better than my bare fingers on nylon. I guess (hope) the "touch" will work itself back in after a while.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 12-06-2021, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
Just went on the website to order eight picks, four size L and four size XL. At checkout, the goods cost came up at $15.92, the shipping to England came up at $69!! Wha-a-at?? How chuffin’ much??

FUGGEDDIT - it’s robbery on an astronomical scale, I’ll stick to my Propik Fingertones.
If you like I’m in the States until January- I can order and ship to you when back in the UK. Drop me a DM if interested…!

Cheers,
Michael
Fender Mary Kaye American Original Strat
Old 12-06-2021, 02:38 PM
Eric Skye

I'm gonna have to check these out. Thanks.
Old 12-06-2021, 02:58 PM

i have been meaning to check these out. but started to learn how to use a bit of nail instead. doesn't take much. will see how that goes. i will be interested to know if you end up using these on the regular, Barry.

does anyone else think that fingerpicks make different demands of the wrist than when picking without them and that could be problematic from a joint/health perspective?
Old 12-06-2021, 09:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingingSparrow View Post
i have been meaning to check these out. but started to learn how to use a bit of nail instead. doesn't take much. will see how that goes. i will be interested to know if you end up using these on the regular, Barry.

does anyone else think that fingerpicks make different demands of the wrist than when picking without them and that could be problematic from a joint/health perspective?
I practiced again with the finger picks on my classical. I do some arpeggios and I'm practicing the first few pages of Ed Sheeran's Perfect. (Timo Brauwers arrangement). I can wear them for about a half hour and then they feel too tight. I might try heating them with a hair dryer to see if I can get them to open up a bit.

Right now I'm not really happy with the tone, but its better than my bare fingers in some respects.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:

Last edited by TBman; 12-06-2021 at 10:05 PM.
Old 12-07-2021, 05:11 AM

I keep mistaking the video in your sig for a fresh sound sample made with these picks...

Can you compare the tone you get with the thumb to the tone with an average thumb pick?

I never managed to get along with one of those as they're all way too high (forcing a change in hand position) and they just don't sound good (I find that when I play with an actual pick I turn it clockwise wrt the string to get a rounder sound). But I'd love to have an option to keep playing somewhat normally and painfree if I've grown yet another split in my thumb...
Old 12-07-2021, 07:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
I keep mistaking the video in your sig for a fresh sound sample made with these picks...

Can you compare the tone you get with the thumb to the tone with an average thumb pick?

I never managed to get along with one of those as they're all way too high (forcing a change in hand position) and they just don't sound good (I find that when I play with an actual pick I turn it clockwise wrt the string to get a rounder sound). But I'd love to have an option to keep playing somewhat normally and painfree if I've grown yet another split in my thumb...
I'm only using them on my index and middle fingers. I'm using a Dunlop thumb pick.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 12-10-2021, 06:30 PM

Barry, thanks for bringing our attention to these. Because my nails have a tendency to break I've been using Alaska picks. But Alaska picks require quite a bit of modification for comfort and playability. I just received a couple sets of the Kalenas. They are playable and much more comfortable out-of-the-box.
Old 12-11-2021, 12:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkatsonis View Post
Barry, thanks for bringing our attention to these. Because my nails have a tendency to break I've been using Alaska picks. But Alaska picks require quite a bit of modification for comfort and playability. I just received a couple sets of the Kalenas. They are playable and much more comfortable out-of-the-box.
I'm glad the thread helped you. The Alaska are a good product, but I can't deal with the side ribs that they have and their overall thickness. I'm glad I found these in a thread here myself because now I can enjoy my classical again without hearing that wispy finger noise.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 12-11-2021, 01:38 PM
Charter Member

These look like the exact same picks. The reviews even mention their tendency to break. A ridiculous $10.99 shipped via Amazon Prime for 30 picks sized 14, 15, 16 and 17mm.

Amazon indicates that multiple vendors sell these so maybe they're available to international buyers. If the link doesn't work search Amazon for "Basic fingerpicks 30 pack" ...

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-...251306&sr=8-35

Goodall, Martin, Wingert

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion