The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-06-2021, 03:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisedennis View Post
Hi,

What are the pros and cons of shorter-scale (<24.9 scale length) guitar?

I heard that there might be less string tension and easier to fret (perhaps?)

Thanks!
Dennis
Firstly, when it comes to scale lengths there are "short/shorter scales which tend to be 25" or less, standard scales whch tend to be 25.4 (Martin) or therabouts, and "long scales which are over 25.5 (I once had a 12 string guitar with a 26.5" scale and baritones may well be in that order.

The pros of the "shorter scale is slightly easier fingering for smaller hands, and a little less string tension than the same strings on a longer scale.

The cons , I would say are less potential power or projection.

This is why size 2 (amateur) had 24.5", the "0" (Concert) and 00 (Grand concert) have 24.9" and the 000 (Auditorium) and the later dreadnought have 25.4/25.5" scales. The logic being that both body volume and scale affected projection for varying style audiences.

Most archtops and resonator (I believe), and my two 12 strings have 24.9 and 25" scales.

Gibson scales varied depending on where they were made.
Old 12-06-2021, 05:39 AM

The very nice L-00 size guitar I’ve had for a decade is IIRC 24.6” scale. I recently acquired an inexpensive Dreadnought that is 25.4” scale. I expected to feel a significant difference but they actually seem to play much the same.

The thicker neck on the Dred is a difference I definitely notice but the 0.8” scale length change, not so much.

Both guitars have EJ16 strings.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 12-06-2021, 06:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks!
Dennis
Hi Dennis…
Pros…
Size, tone, action

Cons…
Size, tone, action

For me it's about individual guitars. I've played short-scale guitars which have great tone, and action and are easy to connect with. Then I have met others which are exactly opposite.

I own/play a Bashkin which was built for me in 2005 which is both short and long scale. It's scale runs from 25" (1st string) to 25.75" (6th string).

Fanned frets often enhance tone, and the shortness on the trebles keeps the highs from being 'thin', and the extra length in the bass helps provide ample bass for fingerstyle playing without predominating. But if it's pushed, the bottom really asserts itself.

Amazing action and tone, 1¾" nut, and with more than expected bass, and surprisingly full and mellow tone in the high range above 10th fret.

One of the most amazing small bodied guitars was one Michael Bashkin built for a person who runs festivals down South for blue-grass players (not just guitarists). As I recall it is short scale.

Completely destroyed my former bias against the general class of short scale guitars being only good for eclectic players and styles of music.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-06-2021, 06:29 AM
Eric Skye

Quote:
Hi,

Hi Dennis,
I prefer a 24.9 scale guitar for the sweet tone, but also because I agree it can seem easier to play. Particularly in sort of side to side kinda way. Meaning for someone like myself, that uses kind of a lot of bluesy left hand technique phrasing like vibrato, small bends, slides, etc, I notice it more than just being able to more easily push the string straight down to the fretwire.. If that makes sense.
Old 12-06-2021, 06:38 AM
Charter Member

I was playing a Gibson J-185 for years. 24.75" scale

Thought I wanted a 000. Started with a 000-15. 24.9" scale

Sold that one after not playing it for a year. The scale fit nice enough. Just didn't care for the tone.

When I went for a 28 series. It seemed the OM, 25.4" had a better tone than the 000 24.9".

I ended up with the OM-28 and am loving it. Going to have to get the J-185 back out and see how it compares.

Just have trouble putting the OM down.
Old 12-06-2021, 07:14 AM

I am not terribly fussy, but prefer the longer scale. Probably largely because I am more used to that, but I also don't like my left elbow to be so bent so much if the time. I have stronger feelings on 12 vs 14 fret.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 12-06-2021, 07:29 AM

For me it can be misleading.
My J45 convinced me that I much preferred a shorter scale. Then I met my Larrive TE which is 25 1/2. I thought it would be a problem but actually I can't tell the difference! I think it's because it's a 12 fretter so elbow angle etc. are comfortable. Maybe, I'm not at all sure...
Nick
Old 12-06-2021, 08:23 AM

It seems like a 3/4” difference in neck length wouldn’t cause a perceptible change in the angle of your arm. Or maybe I’m just not very perceptive?
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 12-06-2021, 08:43 AM

I've found myself gravitating to shorter scale guitars due mainly to ease of playing. String tension is a bit less and the reach is a bit shorter. Not much, but enough to make playing easier. The only downside I've noticed is drop D and DADGAD doesn't work as well on some of these guitars, the low strings can get tubby and buzz. But I'm in standard 95% of the time anyway.
Old 12-06-2021, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

An additional point in my mind is that I hear a taughtness per note in the sound of long scale guitars and more of a roundness in the sound of shorter scale guitars. I can hear it on videos also if you focus on it.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 12-06-2021, 09:14 AM

Well, I have to say that body shape has also something to do since I play seated.

The smoother strings are more easy to bend, timely or not...

I rarely look at the neck because I play sight reading and switching from
longer to shorter scale is not that easy.

Those cons made me let go a very nice parlor...

Or maybe I should have short scale acoustics ?
Old 12-06-2021, 10:54 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

For me, short scale is just one variable that combines to make a guitar playable and still meet my tone preferences. My two favorite and most comfortable guitars to play are a 12 fret, 25.4", deep body grand concert with a modified C neck, and a 14 fret, 25", slightly scaled down slope shoulder shape with a low profile neck. I have a 24" 12 fret parlor with a chunkier neck that is the least comfortable for me to play. I am 5' 3" tall with average size hands for a woman. So, scale length, to me, never tells the whole story.

Best,
Jayne
Old 12-06-2021, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hutto View Post
It seems like a 3/4” difference in neck length wouldn’t cause a perceptible change in the angle of your arm. Or maybe I’m just not very perceptive?
Not you, I obvs didnmake myself clear. I meant that I was surprised to find that the extra length made no difference if on a 12fretter where all the arm angles are quite different.
Nick
Old 12-07-2021, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Firstly, when it comes to scale lengths there are "short/shorter scales which tend to be 25" or less, standard scales whch tend to be 25.4 (Martin) or therabouts, and "long scales which are over 25.5 (I once had a 12 string guitar with a 26.5" scale and baritones may well be in that order.

The pros of the "shorter scale is slightly easier fingering for smaller hands, and a little less string tension than the same strings on a longer scale.

The cons , I would say are less potential power or projection.

This is why size 2 (amateur) had 24.5", the "0" (Concert) and 00 (Grand concert) have 24.9" and the 000 (Auditorium) and the later dreadnought have 25.4/25.5" scales. The logic being that both body volume and scale affected projection for varying style audiences.

Most archtops and resonator (I believe), and my two 12 strings have 24.9 and 25" scales.

Gibson scales varied depending on where they were made.
The octave G would be very prone to breakage on a 26.5 it might not even last a day. I have a 21 1/4 scale yamaha jr. You have a lot more treble on short scales. You would heavier gauges to make up for the lost amount of tension. I have 13-56's tuned to E on my Jr. I have a couple baritone's. My Alverez is a 27 3/4 tuned to B to B a fourth lower than standard. My 8 string Scheter is a 26.5.
Old 12-07-2021, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar344 View Post
The octave G would be very prone to breakage on a 26.5 it might not even last a day. I have a 21 1/4 scale yamaha jr. You have a lot more treble on short scales. You would heavier gauges to make up for the lost amount of tension. I have 13-56's tuned to E on my Jr. I have a couple baritone's. My Alverez is a 27 3/4 tuned to B to B a fourth lower than standard. My 8 string Scheter is a 26.5.
I've played a few 26.5" to 26.75" scale 12 strings. They need to be tuned down at least to D to D.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion