The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-05-2021, 09:19 PM
Runaway Tomato

Default I'm eating my words: Fender Acoustic Content

In a thread today comparing Fender acoustic guitars with Yamaha (see https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=633154), I came down pretty hard on Fender - and I still don't think they're a match for Yamahas -- but -- umm -- Today (Sunday) I had a day off from playing in the Church band, and the guy that took my place came out with, and played, a very ironic dread-sized Fender acoustic. It was an acoustic set, Christmassy and understated, with just the guitar, backing (softly played) keys, and singers - and the Fender sounded really, really good. I was impressed.

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't a J-45 or D-18 or 814, but it held its own and really surprised me.

OK, yeah, the guitarist was awesome, and the guitar was wired, but still . . .

Signed, maybe a new Fenderboy
Former AGF Moderator
Old 12-05-2021, 09:35 PM

Was he plugged in or pure acoustic? Sound reinforcement - especially in a church setting - is the great equalizer. Everything ends up sounding the same. Not bad, just the same.
Old 12-06-2021, 06:47 AM

I have never in my life heard or played a fender acoustic that sounded good acoustically, I've wanted to as I like the look of their higher end stuff.
Old 12-06-2021, 06:56 AM

Default Fender acoustic

If it is one of their more recent Paramount series, some of them had a pretty nice Fishman preamp/pickup in them.
I had the rosewood dreadnought in that series. Sounded pretty good plugged in, a bit subdued when played straight acoustic.
Old 12-06-2021, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
Was he plugged in or pure acoustic? Sound reinforcement - especially in a church setting - is the great equalizer. Everything ends up sounding the same. Not bad, just the same.
"...and the guitar was wired...". I'm guessing amplified-in which case I agree with you. Back in the 70s I owned, briefly, a Fender F75. It was awful.
Old 12-06-2021, 08:58 AM
Runaway Tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
"...and the guitar was wired...". I'm guessing amplified-in which case I agree with you. Back in the 70s I owned, briefly, a Fender F75. It was awful.
I was in the front row and could hear the instrument when the gain was off.
Former AGF Moderator
Old 12-06-2021, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellington View Post
I have never in my life heard or played a fender acoustic that sounded good acoustically, I've wanted to as I like the look of their higher end stuff.
They used to have an American-made line, built in Spring Hill, Tennessee, which were pretty nice. You rarely see them around, as they were only produced for a short time in the mid 90's...
Old 12-06-2021, 03:04 PM

Ive never played a decent one either , but i know they have a custom shop and they do make some upper end stuff ( basically luthier made )- But im not interested in a few made to impress when most lack.
Old 12-06-2021, 03:36 PM
Charter Member

one point worth noting: OP stated "the guitarist was awesome"

I love fenders and yamahas and many other makers over the last 40+ years of playing. A guitar is merely a tool and a work of art of course, but the sound and music created is dictated by the player. ive seen Masters make a $100.00 Sears git sound like a $5k Martin. and the opposite as well many times.

we all want to have the best tools and beautiful works of artisanship but beautiful music can be made by the player if he is "in tune" with his tool, no matter the brand, value or tone woods. imo

1929 SS Stewart Pro Archtop
1921 G Houghton Archtop Banjo
2007 George Rizsanyi Custom Maple Banjo Killer
2017 James Malejczuk Custom OM Black Limba
1980 Norman B50-12
Norman B-20
Recording King single 0
1996 Takamine
1967 Yam G-130 Melvina
1980s Seagull S6 Cedar
2003 Briarwood
1970s Eko Maple
1982 Ovation
2020 Fender Telecaster
Mandolin
Yam THR5A
Sienna 35 Kustom
Old 12-06-2021, 07:33 PM

Yes - great point. Hearing a great player at a guitar store is always fun because you get to hear how good a number of guitars can really sound. But you’re also going to hear some amazing guitars crying out in anguish (or barely putting out any sound).

I think there’s an anecdote out there about George Harrison picking up a cheap guitar (or ukulele?) at an event and just making it sing like no one else had. Some people just have magic in their fingers - usually because they practice a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssstewart View Post
one point worth noting: OP stated "the guitarist was awesome"

I love fenders and yamahas and many other makers over the last 40+ years of playing. A guitar is merely a tool and a work of art of course, but the sound and music created is dictated by the player. ive seen Masters make a $100.00 Sears git sound like a $5k Martin. and the opposite as well many times.

we all want to have the best tools and beautiful works of artisanship but beautiful music can be made by the player if he is "in tune" with his tool, no matter the brand, value or tone woods. imo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion