The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-21-2021, 07:46 PM

Unhappy 1-1/4" Tuning Machine posts

I have what I believe to be a Harmony acoustic guitar which I purchased used in 1970 for very little $. It has no markings or stickers anywhere inside or out. It has always had nylon strings. I have used this guitar as a practice instrument. Recently, one of the tuning machines broke. Those machines are two (2) metal plates (stamped Japan on the back - facing the wood) screwed to the back of the tuning head with eight small screws each. Each has three (2) string posts which go vertically through the wooden head with a grommet on the front covering the holes. My problem is the three string posts are 1-1/4" on center, NOT the modern "standard" of 1-3/8." I have searched the internet for weeks, looking and searching for replacements either new or used. I can find nothing. Re-drilling is not an option. Can anyone offer any guidance or direction? Six individual machines were recommended by a local music shop based on their belief that the guitar was so cheap and is so old. I'd rather find correct replacements.

I have other instruments, so I am not without working guitar(s), but this was my first guitar when I began learning. It is more emotion than sound quality here.
Old 11-22-2021, 05:04 AM

How is the tuner broken? It may be possible to repair it.
Old 11-22-2021, 09:43 AM

One of the plastic turning nuts split into four pieces. I tried glue, but as soon as I attempted to tune the string, the nut broke apart again.
Old 11-22-2021, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkTime View Post
One of the plastic turning nuts split into four pieces. I tried glue, but as soon as I attempted to tune the string, the nut broke apart again.
Are you referring to a "knob"? They can be replaced.

https://www.stewmac.com/parts-and-ha...s/tuner-parts/
Old 11-22-2021, 07:16 PM

Thanks for the reference. I’ll give that a try.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair