The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-14-2017, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Just to clarify Sean, bry was responding to me. It’s DHart who bought the RS CH-OM, which actually, has generated interest with me, but I’m looking for something smaller, like the Savoy.
Good catch. The CH-PA maybe?
Old 10-14-2017, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Just to clarify Sean, bry was responding to me. It’s DHart who bought the RS CH-OM, which actually, has generated interest with me, but I’m looking for something smaller, like the Savoy.

Yep. It was a reply to Acousticado. The savoy is much more comfortable than the ch-om (imop). I'm Colorado Springs if you want to play it!
Old 10-14-2017, 11:32 AM

I'm exceptionally pleased with the CH-OM1100NS. The tone is fantastic. It's not as small as the Savoy and doesn't have the Savoy's "cool" look, but it sure plays well, sounds terrific, and the low price was wonderful. Now that I've had it for a while, I'm still VERY thrilled with the tone. It's definitely a keeper.

I, too, have been interested in an even smaller, more intimate CF guitar to curl up in the recliner with.

After Psfam backed out of selling her X7 here on the forum (wasted a lot of my time with that failed transaction)... Thanks to input from Captain Jim and others, I just bought a new X7 Artisan (Amber) which should be here in a few days from Ireland. At $1395 the price wasn't too bad. I'm hoping it will be all that I want it to be. We shall soon see!
Old 10-14-2017, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bry View Post
..I would suggest at least playing a Rainsong CH-OM..
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
He bought one after trying more CF guitars in one day than many of us will play
in a lifetime.
Yes, DH did choose the Rainsong CH-OM1100NS after trying a bunch of guitars at Kramsters, and he seems quite satisfied with his choice. I can't agree with his tonal description of the Savoy, but we all hear things differently, literally, and have different expectations.

In the end, you have to go with what sounds good to you. I own most the guitars Kramster does, maybe a few more, and the guitar I gravitated to this summer for travel and boating, was my Savoy. The Savoy's voice compares nicely to a similar, or slightly larger Rosewood/Cedar, all wood guitar, which is a tone I rather like. Course I also like other tonal combinations, like Rosewood/Spruce, Mahogany/Cedar, Cocobolo/Redwood, all Koa and so on, so the Savoy will not be my only non wood acoustic. In fact, since boating season is done, next weekend when we head up to our vacation home in the local mountains, it will be my Rainsong BI-DR1100NS that will travel with me. Tonally this guitar compares to a Cocobolo/Adirondack Goodall I had for a while, but it's a lot lighter, and the 12-fret short scale makes it a fingerstyle players delight. In the four or five years I've had this guitar, it has become one of my favorite acoustics, wood or CF.
Old 10-14-2017, 11:42 AM

I think if I wasn't comparing the tone of the Savoy, side-by-side and directly to the CH-OM, and if it was priced in the $1500 range or so, I may have appreciated the Savoy more. But compared to the fuller, richer, and more evenly-balanced tone of the CH-OM, I was less excited about the Savoy tone.

As Ted says, different people have different impressions of tone. So don't take any one individual's evaluation as gospel.
Old 10-14-2017, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bry View Post
Yep. It was a reply to Acousticado. The savoy is much more comfortable than the ch-om (imop). I'm Colorado Springs if you want to play it!
I appreciate the offer but I'm not in the market for another guitar. Should I buy anything else it will likely be an Amicus or Synergy. I've heard that the CH-OM (or Shorty) is not "as comfortable" or flat out "uncomfortable" on this forum and usually when compared to an Emerald. This has not been my experience but then again- the Shorty checks off all my boxes in what suits my playing style, and I knew that from a mere specs before I ever even heard the tone.

My personal (and probably annoyingly persistent) opinion is that RS hit it out of the park with this guitar, especially at the price point the CH-OM is at.
Old 10-14-2017, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
I'm exceptionally pleased with the CH-OM1100NS. The tone is fantastic. It's not as small as the Savoy and doesn't have the Savoy's "cool" look, but it sure plays well, sounds terrific, and the low price was wonderful. Now that I've had it for a while, I'm still VERY thrilled with the tone. It's definitely a keeper.

I, too, have been interested in an even smaller, more intimate CF guitar to curl up in the recliner with.

After Psfam backed out of selling her X7 here on the forum (wasted a lot of my time with that failed transaction)... Thanks to input from Captain Jim and others, I just bought a new X7 Artisan (Amber) which should be here in a few days from Ireland. At $1395 the price wasn't too bad. I'm hoping it will be all that I want it to be. We shall soon see!

I will be looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the X7. Especially side by side with your ch-om.
Old 10-14-2017, 12:09 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Good catch. The CH-PA maybe?
Sean, thanks for the suggestion about the CH-PA, but although I quite like the look of the CH-OM, I’m not overly fussy about the look of the PA. Of course, tone is most important, but the look has to greatly appeal to me too.
Old 10-14-2017, 12:14 PM
Anticipation Junkie

The discussion may not be done, but I just want to thank everyone for participating in and offering a lot of great feedback. It is all helpful.

In time I can outright expend the high cost of the Savoy, but presently, due to some pending large expenditures, I can’t right now. I’d have to sell a couple of guitars (possibly my mint, barely played ‘02 ‘57 Strat RI and my beloved Cargo RT) which is no small matter for me, but I’m seriously considering it. Or I control my GAS and wait as long as it takes. I wonder which choice will win out?
Old 10-14-2017, 02:10 PM

Lose the Strat Tom ! I’ve got one upstairs too, along with a couple Teles, not been out their cases in two years...

What about that crazy three wheeler vehicle you had ? You still using that ?

I wouldn’t part with the little Cargo before getting it head to head with any possible replacements.
I love my X7 but it’s not earth shattering or anything, just a very nice little guitar.
I wouldn’t attempt to “upgrade” it before playing it side by side with any contenders.
Old 10-14-2017, 02:22 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
Lose the Strat Tom ! I’ve got one upstairs too, along with a couple Teles, not been out their cases in two years...

What about that crazy three wheeler vehicle you had ? You still using that ?

I wouldn’t part with the little Cargo before getting it head to head with any possible replacements.
I love my X7 but it’s not earth shattering or anything, just a very nice little guitar.
I wouldn’t attempt to “upgrade” it before playing it side by side with any contenders.
Thinking about it, Jon. Thinking about it.

As for a crazy three wheeler I have/had, you must be confusing me with someone else. I don’t own such a beast. That said, in an older and recently revised thread by flaggerphil who owns a CanAm Spyder, in the future, my wife and I plan to RV with a bike in-tow, and I did participate in Phil’s thread because although I’m a Harley Road King lover (have owned one, now sold), a Spyder may make more sense. But that’ll be sometime down the road.
Old 10-14-2017, 02:25 PM

Pardon me, I guess the “Tommy Can-Am” part of your sig put me off the scent...
Old 10-14-2017, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by navion View Post
I know its my 1st post....have to start somewhere!
I tried starting with a second post ... but it did't work... sigh...
Any blackbird is a fine guitar... I am liking my Savoy a whole lot... used it at an outdoor gig today... sounded great through a Bose compact ...Bose T1 mixer effects thing first then to the Compact.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 10-15-2017, 07:59 PM
Charter Member

I just put PB clear tones on my savoy. I read somewhere kramster did it too. All I can say is "wow"
Old 10-15-2017, 09:15 PM

Amplified tone and acoustic tone are typically remarkably different.

Good thing to consider which of the two matters most to one's particular needs and then focus in on what guitar/pickups meet that need the best.

As for myself, I have no need to amplify my acoustic guitars, so I buy them without electronics.

Playing my CH-OM1100NS again today (thank you Ted!) and I must say, its acoustic tone is deep, full, bright, and delightful. RainSong hit a home run with this one, folks!

Soon, my X7 Artisan will arrive from Ireland. I can't wait to discover how I like the sound from this (desired very-small-bodied) instrument.

Obviously, the Savoy checks the boxes for some folks and that's the most important point - if it works for you, and you don't mind the price - that's all that matters!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber