The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-13-2016, 08:36 AM

I wouldn't look to a direct box to solve this though one of those small ART Tube MP preamps might do the trick. I have one I use for my med diaphragm condensers to record and it does do some of what they claim in terms of warming the sound. They also claim it can do the same for acoustic but I have never actually thought about trying that. Maybe I will today!

I don't use K&K so consider this internet hearsay. I have read more than once here about K&K users that weren't quite satisfied with their pickup system until they got the K&K preamp. I also don't use the RedEye preamp but read here that it is well liked but with limited EQ features. So you may get better results from a K&K preamp.

One last thing. Again, I don't use Strymon gear but I know a few folks that have bought in, gave it a full trial and walked away after a year or so. And in cases where they ultimately didn't like it, some version of overly digital and sterile is the usual comment. Which I guess could be interpreted as synthesized. So there is that possibility that part of the sound you don't like is coming with/from the Strymon.

hunter
Old 03-13-2016, 08:25 PM

Default krisis suggeastion

The quickest, easiest technique to reduce "synthetic" component from sound was to try krisis thought to reverse the order of my reverb machine and the RedEye preamp.

I have tried this now for a couple of hours now and I must say I like what I hear. I hear improvement!

Last edited by Kittoon; 03-13-2016 at 08:37 PM.
Old 03-13-2016, 08:33 PM

Default krisis idea

At krisis suggestion, I have reversed the order of my reverb machine and my RedEye preamp.

I hear improvement. The somewhat "synthsised" component is reduced. Not perfect yet, but improvement. (almost as if there was a hint of "Chorus" going on which is unwanted)
Old 03-14-2016, 03:47 AM

I have a K & K in a Martin dread and I always feel the mids needing cutting back. I tried a para di, but I didn't like the sound. I finally went to a maxim mxr eq pedal and cut the mids a bit. Made a big difference to my set-up.

I finally run into a TC Helicon Play Acoustic, but the eq there is flat, very little body Rez. Mainly use it for some reverb. Also slight delay and chorus on a few songs.

I too don't think adding an additional di to your chain will help. Unless you have the ability to eq the midrange. For me, this was the key with the k & k. But it's all in what you like to hear.
Old 03-14-2016, 07:08 AM

I purchased a Fishman Platinum Pro D.I. and am able to EQ most of the quack out of my Taylor 114e and warm it up for a fuller tone.
With my Larrivee and the Anthem SL, I am able to "enrich' the tone with some modest settings and a little compression from the Fishman.
It' seems to be a pretty good device when running to a P.A.
My setup is Guitar>Fishman>Mixer>Powered Speakers.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification