The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-18-2016, 05:34 PM
Charter Member

In my waxing poetic on my last post I forgot to ask one of my important questions: How is the feedback? One feature I've grown accustomed to loving in acoustic amplifiers is a notch filter or other feedback-fighting circuitry. I notice no such features (at least in the photos above) on The Bud...

Last edited by Methos1979; 02-18-2016 at 06:22 PM.
Old 02-19-2016, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
In my waxing poetic on my last post I forgot to ask one of my important questions: How is the feedback? One feature I've grown accustomed to loving in acoustic amplifiers is a notch filter or other feedback-fighting circuitry. I notice no such features (at least in the photos above) on The Bud...
According to the Henriksen web-site, "The amp and cabinet are naturally feedback resistant which limits the need for artificial notch filtering and other suppression technologies that negatively effect your tone."

I've noticed zero feedback to date; but so far, I've only played through it by going direct from my guitar (with K&K Pure Mini) to the amp. I'm waiting for my Sennheiser e914 and Rode NT1-A to arrive before experimenting with mic'ing; however, if I'm not mistaken, Eric Skye mics his SCGC 00-Skye with a AKG 414 LDC mic and it sounds great. I've seen other The Bud reviews as well where the guitar is mic'ed, and they also sounded great, so I'm not anticipating any issues.

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia

Last edited by drplayer; 02-19-2016 at 12:04 PM.
Old 02-19-2016, 04:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drplayer View Post
According to the Henriksen web-site, "The amp and cabinet are naturally feedback resistant which limits the need for artificial notch filtering and other suppression technologies that negatively effect your tone."

I've noticed zero feedback to date; but so far, I've only played through it by going direct from my guitar (with K&K Pure Mini) to the amp. I'm waiting for my Sennheiser e914 and Rode NT1-A to arrive before experimenting with mic'ing; however, if I'm not mistaken, Eric Skye mics his SCGC 00-Skye with a AKG 414 LDC mic and it sounds great. I've seen other The Bud reviews as well where the guitar is mic'ed, and they also sounded great, so I'm not anticipating any issues.
Very interesting, indeed. I'd like to hear from the others that have owned these for some time - any problems on your end with feedback? I might end up having to audition one of these and see if it will cover all my bases that the SA220 and Artist currently cover. What is the street price of these anyway? $1,200 to $1,300 sticks in my mind if I remember correctly...
Old 02-19-2016, 05:24 PM
Charter Member

PM sent...

Martin 000-28EC

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia
Old 02-19-2016, 06:01 PM
Charter Member

How is The Bud for vocals? Haven't seen a lot of comment specifically about that now that I think about it. Anyone use it for guitar and vocals and if so, how does it sound? How does it compare to some of the amps discussed here like the SA220?
Old 02-19-2016, 06:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
How is The Bud for vocals? Haven't seen a lot of comment specifically about that now that I think about it. Anyone use it for guitar and vocals and if so, how does it sound?
FWIW, here's one example...

It sounds really good with my Shure SM58, but I just picked up a Rode NT1-A that I'm anxious to try...

Martin 000-28EC

-Andrés Segovia
Old 02-20-2016, 09:14 AM

Quote:
In my gigging experience (obviously not the whole story), feedback is always a floor monitor pointed at a guitar with a soundboard transducer or internal mic. Since my duo gave up on floor monitors, we have not had feedback problems except at events with their own sound and booming monitors. For those gigs we leave the K&K equipped Martin's home or struggle with a Baggs Venue notch filter which is probably as good as it gets and still far from perfectly effective. I would not miss a notch filter and the one in my ZT Lunchbox Acoustic never gets used.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 02-20-2016 at 12:24 PM.
Old 02-20-2016, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

Maybe a silly question - is it safe to put distortion through this amp or no?
Old 02-21-2016, 08:11 AM

Several recent threads note that the mic inputs on various (not all) acoustic guitar amps don't do justice to an instrument. Two identical channels is a plus for the Bud. To put a second instrument into my ZT Lunchbox Acoustic I use the backside AUX (MP3) input and a 1/4" TS to 3.5mm TRS conversion cable. The mic input is only suitable for mics.

Regarding a Bud and distortion, I use my Tube Screamer (TS9 mini with a battery attached with a rubber band) with my T5z through our PA and my ZT. For my purposes it gets me a more than good enough distorted electric guitar tone with a minimum of fuss. I predominantly gig with the T5z in "acoustic guitar" mode.

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 02-21-2016 at 09:27 AM.
Old 02-22-2016, 04:03 PM
Charter Member

Just got off the phone with Robinson at SoundPure. Going to give The Bud a try since they do a try-before-you-buy deal. That will allow me to A/B it with the SA220. If it sounds at least as good as the SA220 then I'll likely keep it and sell both Fishman amps off to cover the cost. I really don't see needing more. Worst case I can always add an extension speaker.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Just got off the phone with Robinson at SoundPure. Going to give The Bud a try since they do a try-before-you-buy deal. That will allow me to A/B it with the SA220. If it sounds at least as good as the SA220 then I'll likely keep it and sell both Fishman amps off to cover the cost. I really don't see needing more. Worst case I can always add an extension speaker.
How did the Bud work out?

Jon Fields
Old 02-24-2016, 08:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
How did the Bud work out?
Haven't gotten one yet. They are sold out. Selling like hot cakes, he said, but getting more in soon and will get one then. Will do a review regardless of whether or not I decide to keep it.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Old 03-03-2016, 08:38 AM

There's a favorable review in the latest issue of Guitar Player (David Bowie cover)
Old 03-03-2016, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitararmy View Post
There's a favorable review in the latest issue of Guitar Player (David Bowie cover)
Not trying to be snarky, but have you ever read a bad review in any music mag? For that matter, you don't get them from individuals either. You've got to be your own judge. That's why I admire anyone with a try first business plan.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 03-03-2016, 10:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
Not trying to be snarky, but have you ever read a bad review in any music mag?
Generally not, however, it could just be that the magazine chooses not to publish reviews for items they find to be sub-par, rather than publish an unfavorable review and have to deal with the aftermath of that? Don't know, and not saying I agree with that approach, just that it could be a viable reason for not seeing more/any poor reviews. But as you said, nothing's better than taking it for a spin yourself...

Martin 000-28EC

-Andrés Segovia

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification