The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 08-21-2008, 06:08 PM
Charter Member

Question what kind of banjo is Dave Carter using on this flick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Imf2G...eature=related

I've been thinking about getting one of the banjos that are 6 string and setup like a steel string-it kinda has the Lindsey Buckingham sound to it.

I know absolutely nothing about these instruments-don't care for bluegrass sound banjos but this sounds more celtic to me.

thanks
Daryl
Old 08-21-2008, 06:35 PM

Daryl,

He's playing a 5-string, open-back banjo...it is a bluegrass banjo with the resonator removed. The mellower sound is due to the open back and bare finger picking. With a resonator and finger picks it would have that traditional bluegrass sound! As for the brand, I could not make out it out from the video, but based on all the inlay in the headstock, I would guess either a Gibson or Deering (I am guessing, so it may be neither).

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)
Old 08-21-2008, 06:52 PM

+1 to what Bob said.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:21 PM
Charter Member

Thank you both for the replies.

This is very interesting to me. Do you know if you take one of the 6 string banjos-do the same thing-remove the back, would it probably sound kinda like that also?

I think they sound great bare finger played.

thanks
Daryl
Old 08-22-2008, 05:33 AM

Can't say for sure, but I don't know why you couldn't remove the resonator and obtain a similar sound. I considered buying one of the 6 string git-banjos, but because I wanted that bluegrass sound, nothing can replace the 5-string! The 6 string, of course, plays like a guitar (same tuning) where as the five string is tuned to an open G with the 5th string at high G. That gives an entirely unique sound that the 6 string just cannot match.

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)
Old 08-22-2008, 05:56 AM

I have a resontator 5-string and I took the back off of it, it just un-screws on mine. But you're left with a metal circle around the body (that holds the back on it), to take that off means you have to remove all the brackets to get rid of that (which you have to do anyway, once in a while to change the skin). You can leave the circle on, of course, it's just very uncomfortable to play with it jabbing into your leg.

Not really into bluegrass either, so I wanted a sound more suited to clawhammer/old style.

It works fine, but an open-back is usually just cheaper in the first place, I think. Not sure if they make open-back 6 strings.

It all depends on how you play, if you miss the 5th string or not I guess. I don't know the artist in the video, but he's playing in his "own" style it sounds (neither clawhammer or bluegrass, obviously - for either of those two styles you need the 5th string for the thumb).

Whatever you decide to get, you'll probably want to at least put something in the body, up against the skin (a sponge, a cloth, an old t-shirt). Banjo's sound - well, "empty and hollow" if they're "empty and hollow", at least to me.

Banjo's are fun. You might not be able to do many repairs or set-ups on an acoustic guitar yourself, but you can completely take a banjo apart in a half hour with a couple of tools (not that there's any real "need" to do that, but if you have one long enough, you'll probably eventually take it apart...).

"Yeah!" - Blind Boy Fuller
Old 08-22-2008, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1131 View Post
Can't say for sure, but I don't know why you couldn't remove the resonator and obtain a similar sound. I considered buying one of the 6 string git-banjos, but because I wanted that bluegrass sound, nothing can replace the 5-string! The 6 string, of course, plays like a guitar (same tuning) where as the five string is tuned to an open G with the 5th string at high G. That gives an entirely unique sound that the 6 string just cannot match.
I totally agree, and the learning curve on the banjo for a decent guitarist is not a lengthy one. Anyone familiar with open G can immediately recognize the familiarity. You'll struggle more with the reverse picking style than with the left hand fingering, which in your case might not be a bad thing if you are going to finger pick it.

I chose the 5 string Deering in lieu of the 6 string Deering. I'm glad I did. As Bob points out, the 6 string can't replicate the sounds from a 5 string banjo.

Good luck....the Deering 6 string (Boston) is an awesome instrument. Keith Urban wouldn't be using it if it wasn't.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawn Jockey View Post
I totally agree, and the learning curve on the banjo for a decent guitarist is not a lengthy one. Anyone familiar with open G can immediately recognize the familiarity. You'll struggle more with the reverse picking style than with the left hand fingering, which in your case might not be a bad thing if you are going to finger pick it.

I chose the 5 string Deering in lieu of the 6 string Deering. I'm glad I did. As Bob points out, the 6 string can't replicate the sounds from a 5 string banjo.

Good luck....the Deering 6 string (Boston) is an awesome instrument. Keith Urban wouldn't be using it if it wasn't.
This is true; and you can always "lose" the "drone" 5th string but that would leave you with a 4-string arrangement. There are lots of tunings for "tenor" or "plectrum" 4-string banjos.

True 5-string aficionados will tell you a "6 string banjo ain't a banjo." Also, you don't have to do "Scruggs picking" and Bluegrass on a 5 string all the time. In fact, you don't have to do it at all if you don't wish. But unless you ditch the "drone" and capo up to where you can fret the 5th string, you'll have that "sound" aurally.

BTW, the "Celtic" or "Irish sound" is present with 5-strings as well, and you can find tons of tunings in both major and minor keys to enhance it. You might want to cruise around the "banjohut.com" as I'm sure they have sections devoted to what you are looking for. Tommy Makem and the Clancy Bros., and tons of Irish/Celtic groups do very nicely with the 5-string.

I love my Deering---these are super-fine banjos, very well made, and weighty! But man, they RING--that sand-cast bell-bronze flathead tone ring of theirs is awesome.

1992 Taylor 855
2000 Deering Sierra

2009 Recording King RD-16SN ~ "utility"
2009 Martin HD-28

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments