The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 07-20-2008, 11:07 AM

Default Bitten by the resonator bug

I love the sound of resonators, and finally broke down and acquired one this weekend--a National M2. Had to trade in my banjo, but I didn't play it much; it's hard enough to keep in practice on the guitar. That Buffalo Bros. trade-up policy is a wonderful thing.

Now I just need to drink a case of Nyquil, so I won't wake up til it arrives from the left coast. Otherwise, it's going to be a looonnngg week.

Any M2 owners out there? I'm wondering how many of you play with bare fingers. I guess the norm is to use fingerpicks, but is that a must to get good volume out of the cone? I've always been much clumsier with picks; I guess it's just what you start out doing. (Luckily I hung on to a few of my banjo picks.)
Old 07-20-2008, 01:32 PM

Man just last night I got bitten by the resonator bug only square neck dobro style. First time I had ever picked one up to try to play it. I got some surprisingly good tones from it for a first time effort. Probably due to some steel guitar experience I guess but what a hoot to play. I had a ball with that guitar!

Steel and Wood, "Listen closely and she'll tell you her secrets" RG
Old 07-20-2008, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackLeggedDawg View Post
I'm wondering how many of you play with bare fingers. I guess the norm is to use fingerpicks, but is that a must to get good volume out of the cone? I've always been much clumsier with picks; I guess it's just what you start out doing. (Luckily I hung on to a few of my banjo picks.)
I play barefingers, but not exactly blues, and no slide, so...
But I bought my first reso in october, it took 6 months to have it do what I want, but since, it's my favorite. I even bought a single cone recently.
I think I got the reso bug.

Jean-Paul Bataille
www.fingerstyle-guitar.com/jean-paul_bataille/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments