The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 04-19-2016, 01:04 PM

Default Flatwounds for slide & delta playing?

I'm just toying with the idea of putting flatwounds on my 60s Antoria archtop, which I use mostly for slide.

Does anyone use them for slide? I know Ry Cooder uses flatwounds on one of his strats.

Is there a difference between acoustic & electric flatwound strings? There's no pickup on this guitar & I usually just mic it up.

Hear some footstomping acoustic blues at pistolpetewearn.co.uk!
Old 04-19-2016, 03:15 PM

You could try D'Addario Flat Tops...ground wounds. Nice warm sound with less finger/slide squeak.
Old 04-24-2016, 11:29 AM

I play flats on several of my guitars (all electric) and tried flats once on one of my acoustics. I like flats for the acoustic, but it was a bit of a loss in overall volume. They were flats for an electric.

I thought about flats for slide, but decided I kinda like the zippy, zinginess of roundwounds. I like that little bit of resistance on the slide as well. I think having the ridges would assist in helping to making a little vibrato sustain... But, that's just a theory based on nothing! LOL

Please, check out my band, The Dear Johns
Old 04-25-2016, 08:43 AM

Cheers for the replies

I've put a set of Rotosound Top Tape 12's on there, as they were the cheapest flats I could find. They're supposed to be electric strings, but they do have the slightly mellower sound I was after.

There is a bit of a loss in volume, but I think the balance between the strings is much better & it's tamed the spiky sounding top end harmonics I wasn't liking. I can't say I've noticed any loss in vibrato sustain, although I can now be as casual about muting behind the slide as I am on my other guitars without getting a horrible scratch sound, which I've realised was one of the things troubling me about the sound of this guitar before.

Hear some footstomping acoustic blues at pistolpetewearn.co.uk!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops