The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-16-2016, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
Ha! That's amusing. I guess no AGF discount for you!

Anyone using JJb and K&K that can give a comparison? How's the quality, tone and output of the JJb Prestige 330 compared to the K&K Pure Mini
You should read JGuitar's post /\ up there a bit.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 03-16-2016, 08:22 PM
Charter Member

I buy them from Shoreline music.

I call them on the phone if I need a gold cap for the jack, and they modify the order. Otherwise I just find them on eBay and buy it that way. Either way, it shows up in my mailbox in 4-5 days.

Great service from Shoreline.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTC Bernie View Post
Other than the price, how is this different from the K&K?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
Good q. Bernie. I have one of each and they seem equally excellent to me.

Hard to really compare properly tho' as the K&K is in my Martin Adirondack and Madagascar dread,,,, and the JJB is in my GS Mini !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi PTC…B

Larger sensors (15mm vs 12.5mm), and my experience with them was JJB produce muddier tone, and have a noticeably lower output signal.

I had one installed in an OM and it was in my home with my other guitars for a week.

I was able to compare it alongside three other guitars with K&K Pure Minis installed through my acoustic amps and PA system, all without preamps.

K&K is over the top good, and they have a wider range of products for more diverse needs.

All my guitars run in the several thousand dollar range, and were built for their acoustic tone. All have dual source pickup systems in them which with all the components preamps average out to $350 each. I'm not going to scrimp on the single most important piece of the pickup equation (the actual sensors themselves) - to save $30-50.

Then sound I get out of my pickup system represents me every time I plug in and play live for audiences.
Bernie, (or anyone else interested), I will happily defer to Larry's far greater experience than mine.

I have been waiting for somebody knowledgeable to talk me out of going the slightly cheaper route on my other (as yet pick up free) Martin.

The JJB in the GS Mini is most definitely superior to the ES clip-in P/U that was previously in it and I would recommend one to any Mini owner.

But I think I'll take L.J's advice and not spoil the ship for a ha'p'orth o' tar when choosing what to put in my other Martin.

BTW. Y'all get K&Ks real cheap in America, we have to pay almost double that price here .
(So quit worrying about which of your retailers is five bucks cheaper than another! )
Old 03-16-2016, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTC Bernie View Post
Other than the price, how is this different from the K&K?
The "similar to Switchcraft" output jack would be one area to be aware of. I installed one of these lower-tier output jacks (just once) and had it cut in and out in a performance situation. It was far more work replacing it with a new Switchcraft jack than what have been necessary had I paid a bit more up front. It costs K&K more for their jack (and most likely transducers, lead wire, and the labor putting them together) but sometimes saving a few bucks doesn't in the long run.

Down the road when it's time to sell you may also find that a K&K Mini will be more easily accepted by a buyer. I know if something was advertised other than a K&K Mini I'd have to take into consideration the cost and hassle of removing it and replacing it with my go-to transducer and jack.

Shoreline absolutely for best price and great service.
Old 03-16-2016, 10:27 PM

Quote:

Anyone using JJb and K&K that can give a comparison? How's the quality, tone and output of the JJb Prestige 330 compared to the K&K Pure Mini
I love it.

NO SOUP FOR YOU JERRY!!!!!!!!! From the soup Nazi on Seinfield.
Old 03-17-2016, 02:05 AM

Quote:
I have installed and used both pickups, and while I can't hear any lower signal from the JJB, I defer to Jesse the creator who states it is slightly less hot than the K&K.

Both are equally muddy in the midrange and require eq'ing.

Having said that, I like them both.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:15 AM

Quote:

Shoreline did not offer an AGF discount on the K&K when I bought it. Are they connected with Seinfeld?
Old 03-17-2016, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
BTW. Y'all get K&Ks real cheap in America, we have to pay almost double that price here .
(So quit worrying about which of your retailers is five bucks cheaper than another! )
It's not just about saving five bucks. It's also about supporting AGF sponsors who provide great service and customer support.

Joe
Old 03-17-2016, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd View Post
Yup.....just got one....$99,,,,,,,,,,,,
Yup.....just got one.....$89.10,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I was kind to Soup Nazi John.....He's the man!
Old 03-19-2016, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veryzer View Post
Try our sponsor, Shoreline Music.
I got a Red-Eye from Shoreline. They were nice to deal with.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification