The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-19-2021, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
A retirement guitar all Texas. Now that is really special! Congrats.

One has to wonder ... will you require auditioners to be Texans as well?

Love the woods. The Hackberry rosette will be really special. And all that Texas sweat from Steve and Ryan will make for some schweeet music from this one.
Special exceptions will be made for anyone who has attended each and every B.I.G. or are from the eastern sea board!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
Tom, a bit more of this story: once when John was here visiting we drove 30 minutes north of town to a mom-n-pop hardwood yard. (One never knows what treasures might be found in such places.) It was an interesting enterprise, with a surprising variety of domestic and exotic species, all tucked away in a big tin barn. To add to the homey feel, their security was two huge Great Dane dogs. One in particular took to my brother and would amble over and lean his full weight against his legs. I think John felt obligated to buy something…anything—the pressure was on. At this trip we found several boards of Amazon rosewood, and this one large board of Mesquite. I really wanted one of us to snag the board, but I had grabbed the rosewood and my bank account already was fussing at me. So Brother John stepped up and got the board, some of which is now becoming your guitar.

He has the rest of this board at his North Carolina shop, should anyone else want to enjoy some “Texas Rosewood”. Just sayin’.

Steve
Thanks Steve, maybe a little more history on the Houston Sitka unless I covered it close enough already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
Unless the abalone came from the coastal waters off Texas, I'm thinking you gotta go with the dark Texas Ebony!
SHHHHHH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by j. Kinnaird View Post
Good story Bro. Well told!
I was trying to think how long ago that was. I think that board had been sitting in their warehouse for a pretty long time judging from the dust and add the years since our visit that board was from a tree cut a number of years ago. I believe its it's well seasoned
Well seasoned...just like the rest of us involved in this project with the exception of the extremely young and handsome Ryan.
Old 11-21-2021, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

What a great build and a great way to kick off your Texas retirement. I love all the TX wood choices, and am also amazed that the Mesquite is so relatively straight. It looks like blonde Brazilian! I've got a big old Mesquite tree in my front yard that spirals towards the sun. It'd be a shame if a wind storm uprooted it. I also have some TX ebony on a CS the boys built a while back, and while I'm not even remotely a Texan, I love the fact that a minor wood choice like that pays homage to the area from where it was built. You've got that in spades with this one.

I also can't wait to see your inlay come together. We all know Craig does amazing work. Congrats!
Old 11-21-2021, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootis View Post
What a great build and a great way to kick off your Texas retirement. I love all the TX wood choices, and am also amazed that the Mesquite is so relatively straight. It looks like blonde Brazilian! I've got a big old Mesquite tree in my front yard that spirals towards the sun. It'd be a shame if a wind storm uprooted it. I also have some TX ebony on a CS the boys built a while back, and while I'm not even remotely a Texan, I love the fact that a minor wood choice like that pays homage to the area from where it was built. You've got that in spades with this one.

I also can't wait to see your inlay come together. We all know Craig does amazing work. Congrats!

Thanks for the kind words and support. You know I value your opinion. I absolutely love mesquite. If your tree ever does go, it may be of value to have a pro cut it up for sellable lumber. I have no idea the cost ratios of course, but it is really valued down here at least especially nice slabs. Big slabs of walnut sell for 4 to 5 grand if they are nice.

Craig drew up a design which I think will be great. All Tx species of flowers and birds etc. Steve is going to top it off with a nice little touch on the headstock also. Hopefully it will be just enough to be cool, but not over-the-top.
Old 11-23-2021, 08:52 AM

Here are the required pictures of pieces coming together before they are made into an inclosed box.

tx mesquite guitar 9.jpg tx mesquite guitar 10.jpg

Popular bevel all laminated and shaped for the arm bevel

[ATTACH]tx mesquite guitar 16.jpg[/ATTACH]

Eastern red cedar linings gluing in.

tx mesquite guitar 17.jpg

And this is a picture of an Esperanza flower from our back yard that should be one of the flowers that make the inlay from Craig.

esperansa.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tx mesquite guitar 15.jpg (43.8 KB, 322 views)
Old 11-23-2021, 02:09 PM

Carving the back braces and Steve gluing up the neck. This is Mesquite/poplar (black)/basswood/poplar/mesquite/poplar/basswood/poplar/mesquite. That is a lot of layers.

tx mesquite guitar 18.jpg tx mesquite guitar 19.jpg
Old 11-23-2021, 06:49 PM
Charter Member

This is going to be a great guitar with a great Texas connection. That Brazilian OM that was at BIG was an exceptional guitar that had me panting and all of the guitars on that table had a family sound that told me that they could hit it out of the park all the time.

One of their guitars will be hanging in my house someday. Maybe a Texas-themed one. I'm watching this thread!
Old 11-24-2021, 05:10 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Coming along partner! Happy Thanksgiving All!
Old 11-24-2021, 09:14 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by soma5 View Post
This is going to be a great guitar with a great Texas connection. That Brazilian OM that was at BIG was an exceptional guitar that had me panting and all of the guitars on that table had a family sound that told me that they could hit it out of the park all the time.

One of their guitars will be hanging in my house someday. Maybe a Texas-themed one. I'm watching this thread!
Hey Soma, many thanks for the kind remembrances from this year’s BIG. We would love to hang a guitar somewhere “in your house someday”. Heck, we’ll help you decorate each room if you’d like!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Coming along partner! Happy Thanksgiving All!
And a happy Thanksgiving to you, amigo!

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 11-24-2021, 08:47 PM

The boys got involved in another project today, but did have time to clean up the neck...looks nice.

tx mesquite guitar 20.jpg
Old 11-25-2021, 07:23 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
The boys got involved in another project today, but did have time to clean up the neck...looks nice.

Attachment 65724
That looks great!
I really like the layup and I'm envious of your mesquite planks.
Old 11-25-2021, 09:58 AM
Charter Member

Smile Sweet neck

It DOES look great!

Happy thanksgiving to all

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 11-26-2021, 10:31 PM

Love this build. Save all the Mesquite shavings and scrap and smoke a brisket with it. Then you can have a celebratory BBQ when the guitar arrives. A Mesquite treat for all the senses, ha!
Old 11-27-2021, 12:30 AM
Charter Member

Smile Excellent idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by inc0herent View Post
Love this build. Save all the Mesquite shavings and scrap and smoke a brisket with it. Then you can have a celebratory BBQ when the guitar arrives. A Mesquite treat for all the senses, ha!
What incOherent said! BBQ!!!! Yum

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 11-27-2021, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inc0herent View Post
Now there is a man with the big picture on his mind. Well done, (or more medium for brisket)!
Old 12-01-2021, 04:59 PM

Thanksgiving break is over and work has begun again,

the rosette is finished and where do I begin?

Lovely are colors of the poor ole hackberry,

I would have never guess to boat yard sitka it would marry.

Flip it over and see some lines,

the bracing pattern has survived the test of time.

The Kinnaird will sing when it is done,

As Steve and Ryan continue the fun.

tx mesquite guitar 22.jpg

tx mesquite guitar 21.jpg

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop