The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-02-2020, 10:04 AM

Default Recommendations for private instructor (preferably in the Phoenix area)

I'm a 50-year old advanced beginner and if I want to become a better player, it's now or never. I'm opting for now.

I'm looking for an instructor that will help me become a better player and singer. I know how to strum out songs from a chord chart, can do a bit of fingerpicking, and have a pretty good voice. What I need is someone who can teach me music theory with an emphasis on the fretboard, and help me develop good technique. I'm interested in bluegrass, folk, Americana music. I know a bit of theory like tonic/dominant and relative major/minor chords, but only in the basic keys like G and C. I want to expand my knowledge but I don't know how to get there.

I know that most teachers are online right now and that's fine, but I'd prefer to have someone I can meet with face to face once the pandemic is in the rear-view mirror.

Cost is really not a consideration as long as we aren't talking $90/hour or something. I just need someone who can identify my weaknesses, offer practical solutions, and hold me accountable. I've been self-taught for my whole life and I'm not getting better.

If anyone has any recommendations, I'd appreciate it. Pure remote instruction is fine, but in-person when it makes sense is better. Thanks!
Johnson Carolina JD-17
Seagull Coastline Grand
Fender Vintera '50s Stratocaster Modified
Old 12-02-2020, 10:35 AM
Charter Member

I know you said in person instructions but I have to say that the Artistworks course with Bryan Sutton and his flat picking guitar is excellent. He'll go into the theory, tone, improv with you. You can send in Video Exchanges and he replies to them within a week. It's also very helpful to see other peoples video exchanges because they often are dealing with the same thing you are. He's just a really insightful instructor. Around Christmas time Artistworks usually has a deal with half off of their year course which is $279 regular price, so at $140 it's a bargain.

BTW what part of Chandler are you in? I'm in Chandler in the Layton Lakes area by Queen Creek and Gilbert road.

happy picking,

Debbie
Martin J-40 Adi custom 2018
Martin OM-28 Adi Gruhn Special
McPherson Sable
Fender American Professional II Telecaster
Fender American Professional II Stratocaster
Northfield Big Mon Engleman top
Northfield Big Mon Adirondack top
Companion custom woody banjo
Fender '68 custom Vibro Champ Reverb amp
Old 12-02-2020, 10:41 AM

Hi Debbie! We're close. I'm at Cooper/Chandler Heights.

Thanks for the tip. I'll check him out!
Johnson Carolina JD-17
Seagull Coastline Grand
Fender Vintera '50s Stratocaster Modified

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write