The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-02-2020, 01:13 PM

Mr. Bojangles, you are correct with less bass and volume of a SJ-200. And you are also right with the piano sound.
I think, the SJ-200 is the most beautiful sounding guitar of all the ones I have or played.
Often, beauty is not what you are looking for. Nevertheless the SJ-200 is a wonderful guitar, as is a Martin ‚D‘ whatever.
Martin D-18MD, Martin OM-21, Martin CEO-7, Martin J-40, Martin 000-1, Guild D-55, Guild D-140, Gibson SJ-200, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Frank Hannon Love Dove, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Furch Gc-SR Red Deluxe, Furch Yellow Masters Choice, Larrivee P-03ww, Kawaii piano, mandolines, drumsets, doublebass, Fender Jazzbass, ...
Old 12-02-2020, 01:35 PM
Charter Member

Full disclosure; As many of you know, I am a "Martin" guy. That said,

The strumming comparison was more useful because it was played more cleanly on both guitars. For Strumming, I prefer the J-200 by a large margin. It was richer and more organic to me.

On the fingerstyle demo, the played struggled with the Martin more and that impacts my ability to form conclusions. So I really can't say if one sounded better, but if I had to hazard a vote, again, I'd go with the J-200.

Imagine that! ...from a "Martin" guy. I own four Martin dreads and no Gibsons. But I would love to have a great J-200 or J-45 one day.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 12-02-2020, 02:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
Full disclosure; As many of you know, I am a "Martin" guy. That said,

The strumming comparison was more useful because it was played more cleanly on both guitars. For Strumming, I prefer the J-200 by a large margin. It was richer and more organic to me.

On the fingerstyle demo, the played struggled with the Martin more and that impacts my ability to form conclusions. So I really can't say if one sounded better, but if I had to hazard a vote, again, I'd go with the J-200.

Imagine that! ...from a "Martin" guy. I own four Martin dreads and no Gibsons. But I would love to have a great J-200 or J-45 one day.
To be fair, that's not really what the Martin sounds like in person. At least the D-41s and HD-28Vs (Same construction) I've played.

I've never played the 2020 J-200, so I can't comment on what that one sounds like in person.
Old 12-02-2020, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoopeda View Post
To be fair, that's not really what the Martin sounds like in person. At least the D-41s and HD-28Vs (Same construction) I've played.

I've never played the 2020 J-200, so I can't comment on what that one sounds like in person.
I owned a D-41 2018 Reimagined. I know how magical they can sound. I have a number of Youtube video's that showcased how exceptional D-41's can sound. I am not disagreeing.

All I'm saying is in this recording, I preferred the J-200.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 12-02-2020, 02:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
All I'm saying is in this recording, I preferred the J-200.
For sure, I also agree with this statement.
Old 12-02-2020, 02:56 PM

Thanks for the comments everyone.

I tune my Gibson down a 1/2 step to match my 12-string guitars here at home so I think it sounds just a touch warmer than this one.

I'm not sure that's the best example of a D-41 but the Gibson is very close to how I'm finding my own.

I agree the best comparison starts around the 3.04 mark when the guy on the right of screen starts strumming.

To me the contrast between the 2 of them when strummed is the balance difference between rosewood and maple - maple is very flat where rosewood highlights the highs and lows but loses some mid.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 12-02-2020, 09:54 PM

I've always been in love with the sound of Pete Townshend's acoustic guitar playing. And as I understand it, most of the acoustic tracks he recorded in the Who's golden era were done on an SJ-200.

In terms of the discussion about bass, here's what strikes me when I listen to tracks like "Love Ain't For Keeping" or "Dreaming From the Waist" or "I'm One": the bass is there, but as a foundation to the tone, not as the focus or leading edge of it, as it often seems to be with some of the bigger Martins. The core of the sound is the mid-high chime, but it rests on this solid pedestal of low end that never asserts itself as an independent element but always supports and "embiggens" the sound. The guitar doesn't sound bassy, at all, but it sits easily in the mix next to the huge sounds of Moon and Entwistle, in a way that it couldn't without a robust bass response.

Dunno if that makes sense, but it's what I hear.
Old 12-03-2020, 04:26 PM
Charter Member

"A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man." -- Springfield town motto

Bruce, what strings are you using for your Maple jumbo? I'm still trying to dial in the sound on my AC630-BD. Maple jumbos are a different beast vs. my Rosewood and Mahogany dreads.
Old 12-03-2020, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
"A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man." -- Springfield town motto

Bruce, what strings are you using for your Maple jumbo? I'm still trying to dial in the sound on my AC630-BD. Maple jumbos are a different beast vs. my Rosewood and Mahogany dreads.
The thing I've discovered with my maple jumbo's is they're quite different from each other with what strings work best.
- My new Gibson still has the factory Gibson Masterbuilt PB lights 12-54 but I'm thinking they need changing soon. It's a super warm sounding guitar so I have some strings to experiment with but I've also got some fresh Gibson strings to go back to if nothing else jumps out at me.
- My Huss & Dalton is lightly built and super responsive and I really liked John Pearse Pure Nickels lights on that guitar.
- My Epiphone EJ-200 sounds fantastic with DR Sunbeam round-core PB lights - but the H&D didn't like them!
- My Guild F-412 is really pretty good with any strings. I've used D'Addario EXP's mostly and also liked D'Addario Nickel Bronze on it - I recommended the NB's once to another maple guitar owner ... and he hated them!

1972 - Takamine D-70
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
Old 12-03-2020, 05:45 PM
Charter Member

Thanks, Bruce. Really helpful info here. Your Gibson strings have been discontinued, but others confirmed they were made by GHS and nearly the same specs as their PB lights (and their 80/20 are the same as GHS Bright Bronze), which is what I'm playing on it. They sound great, but the guitar is more bright than warm, so they sound better once they're played in.

I usually don't get along with Nickel strings, but maybe I'll give them a try. No harm, and I've got a couple sets somewhere. I'll keep experimenting.
Old 12-03-2020, 06:58 PM
Charter Member

Bruce, I really enjoyed hearing this. It opened me up to the Gibson SJ-200 '57 Heritage model *or whatever the designation is.

I've played some SJ-200's before that were nearly as pricey or the same and they were OK. Big bass, thin high strings that left me wanting. The SJ-200 in this video peaked my interest. I wonder how consistent they are in terms of sound, projection, fit and finish. My experience has been very hit and miss with most Gibson acoustics I've tried in the semi recent past (year or two). Mostly I tried J-45's, but I usually strum any SJ-200 I see when I have the chance.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 12-03-2020, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Bruce, I really enjoyed hearing this. It opened me up to the Gibson SJ-200 '57 Heritage model *or whatever the designation is.

I've played some SJ-200's before that were nearly as pricey or the same and they were OK. Big bass, thin high strings that left me wanting. The SJ-200 in this video peaked my interest. I wonder how consistent they are in terms of sound, projection, fit and finish. My experience has been very hit and miss with most Gibson acoustics I've tried in the semi recent past (year or two). Mostly I tried J-45's, but I usually strum any SJ-200 I see when I have the chance.
It's a new Custom Shop Historic line first seen a NAMM at the very beginning of this year.
In many ways I think this is Gibson's doing what Martin did with their 'Authentics'.
I was really attracted to the focus on the pure acoustic sound - no pick ups to be seen in this range.
Reviews were positive.
I've wanted one for about 50 years so I took a chance.
It has worked out well.

p.s. There's a beautiful rosewood 'Pre-War' SJ-200 in this new Historic collection too.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
Old 12-04-2020, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svea View Post
The Martin sounded like it was stuffed with socks during the fingerstyle demo.
I'd have to agree, that was some pretty weak playing. Alas, the nature of these kind of comparisons.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 12-04-2020, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman1951 View Post
I'd have to agree, that was some pretty weak playing. Alas, the nature of these kind of comparisons.
Both guitars sounded really bad IMO. Nothing there to brag about in that demo.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 04-11-2021, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
Both guitars sounded really bad IMO. Nothing there to brag about in that demo.

I kind of agree that they didn't really shine. I suspect a heavy gauge pick and a heavy hand behind it. Kind of a waste of time. But I can hear the meat around the notes regardless...and I bet they are really nice sounding guitars with less ham-fisted players at the helm.

Last edited by Static; 04-11-2021 at 11:01 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion