The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-30-2020, 06:23 AM

Default Recorder for simple home recorded demos??

I’d like to graduate from using iPhone ‘voice memos’ so I’m curious if anyone can recommend a simple multitrack recorder that can add a bit of reverb to the mix.

Something like a Tascam DP-04 or DP-06 but with the ability to add reverb. I don’t want to use computers/software and I don’t want to spend money on external mics.

Just want to record for my own enjoyment. Inspirations would be Springsteen’s Nebraska and the earlier home recorded Iron & Wine songs.

Gear is just me, a Martin 0-18, some basic percussive gadgets, and maybe I’ll add an electric guitar down the road.
Old 11-30-2020, 06:49 AM

People rave about these things:

https://youtu.be/bIvcxd44kc0

I have two different things I use, either of which could be of interest.

The Shure MV88+ Video Kit is basically a mic that turns your phone into a pretty high quality audio or video recorder.

The Zoom LiveTraks are amazing little machines you can really grow with-- it's got an onboard recorder but it can also serve as a live mixer OR as an interface for your computer should you graduate to using Logic or whatever. I have the 12 and love it to death. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjiYr0l8aMQ
+ Reverend Double Agent OG
Old 11-30-2020, 06:51 AM

Not much more difficult than the old cassette recorders, the Zoom R-8 has a lot to offer.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...erface-sampler

It satisfies all your requirements plus has extra features like phantom power if you desire to use external microphones later. All you really need to multi-track is a good set of comfortable headphones.

These are presently listed at sale prices and don't go on sale often.

I have owned and used an R-24 for several years. The R series recorders work well and are easy to operate. Once you go through the short learning curve it's easy to select a "template" project you have set up with how you want to normally record and then save it as a new project. It's a simple matter to arm a track and record to your heart's content.

As Neal stated, the Zoom LiveTrak series are becoming popular. Here's a video that demonstrates simple multi-tracking on an L-8:

Last edited by Rudy4; 11-30-2020 at 07:17 AM.
Old 11-30-2020, 07:03 AM

Oh! And if you want something that really feels like the old Tascam machines but in a digital format, The Tascam DP-03 and DP-03SD cover that ground. I have a DP-03 that's literally been sitting in its box for years because I switched to using Logic, so let me know if you're interested. I'd definitely choose the LiveTrak over this thing, but some people like that older school feel.
+ Reverend Double Agent OG
Old 11-30-2020, 09:29 AM

Thanks for the input. The Zoom H4N might be what I'm looking for. I'll spend some time reading up on it.
Old 11-30-2020, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spayne99 View Post
Thanks for the input. The Zoom H4N might be what I'm looking for. I'll spend some time reading up on it.
Hi spayne,

Be aware that Windows 10 recognizes the H4n Pro but not the H4n. It's not a problem if you've got a computer that's running an older version of Windows, or if you have a sound system nearby (line out from headphone jack) or, I guess, if you don't have a computer. The H4n has a little built-in speaker, but headphones are going to be a better choice for checking what you've recorded.

If you have Windows 10, you can get around the problem by simply plugging the SD card into a card reader, if your computer has one.
Old 11-30-2020, 11:32 AM

I have experimented with recording my “guitar-n-vocals” selfie videos all sorts of different ways. The best results have been just using my Zoom H6 with a decent mic for my vocals and my Schertler AG6/S-mic pickup for the guitar. I process the tracks on my iPad with Ferrite Pro and some Audio Units plugins.

For vocal, the two mics that I have had the best luck with are my Shure SM7B (with a FetHead), or my Audio Technica 4050ST.
Old 11-30-2020, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

If you don't want to spend money on external mics and don't want to use a computer I think a good option is one of the stand alone recorders that comes with mics attached. I have the Zoom H6, it works well. It can multi track, though I am not sure about adding reverb. It comes with an XY mic attachment, and there are others you can buy as well.

Nice thing too is that it has 4 inputs/preamps for external mics, if you decide to go that route one day. Something like the Audio Technica 2020 is pretty versatile, and cheap as far as mics go.

If you use the Zoom only with its built mics you will probably have to move it around alot depending on what source you are recording. Just a thought that might disrupt the creative flow.
Old 11-30-2020, 02:40 PM

Why not look at the Spire? It's the easiest thing to use and produces a terrific result.
Standalone or with a phone app linked.
Nick
Old 11-30-2020, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickv6 View Post
Why not look at the Spire? It's the easiest thing to use and produces a terrific result.
Standalone or with a phone app linked.
Nick
I actually was looking into this and thought it looked perfect, but they seem to be impossible to find right now. I might wait it out until if/when these become available again.
Old 12-02-2020, 10:19 AM

Loads available here in UK and EU.
Could you order one from
https://www.thomann.de/gb/izotope_sp...UaAjdJEALw_wcB
Or
https://www.andertons.co.uk/izotope-...saAsXuEALw_wcB.
If they won't send PM me and you can have it sent to me in UK and I will send it on to you (as long as you pay the shipping ).
Nick
Old 12-02-2020, 10:22 AM

The Zoom R8, as mentioned, is pretty easy to use. It's hard to do much editing in the Zoom, but you can also use it as input to a DAW.

D.H.
Old 12-02-2020, 03:59 PM
Charter Member

Hi spayne,

My needs and objectives are similar to yours.

I went through a similar process starting with the iPhone, then using a zoom h4n downloading the files to the audacity DAW on a desktop, then using the zoom as an interface (for its mics) into garage band.

All of this was too fiddly for my simple brain and modest needs.

I bought a decent usb mic and plug and play it into my iPad. The DAW I use is actually called "multitrack daw" and it works for me. Sounds as good or better than anything else I tried.

Best of luck.
Old 12-02-2020, 07:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spayne99 View Post
I’d like to graduate from using iPhone ‘voice memos’ so I’m curious if anyone can recommend a simple multitrack recorder that can add a bit of reverb to the mix.

Something like a Tascam DP-04 or DP-06 but with the ability to add reverb. I don’t want to use computers/software and I don’t want to spend money on external mics.

Just want to record for my own enjoyment. Inspirations would be Springsteen’s Nebraska and the earlier home recorded Iron & Wine songs.

Gear is just me, a Martin 0-18, some basic percussive gadgets, and maybe I’ll add an electric guitar down the road.
If you don't upload the recording to a computer, how are you going to listen to it?

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 12-03-2020, 09:23 AM
Charter Member

I find the portable recorders (tascam dr-40 here) easy and good at capturing decent quality audio files. I find them tedious and not so good at effects, mixing, or multi-tracking, although many have those features. If I want to do that, I move to a daw-based system. I really liked the simplicity of the dr-05, but wanted the ability to add my own mics, which the -40 does nicely.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD