The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-15-2020, 11:15 PM

Default Upgrading from an A6 Ultra to a Multiac Steel?

Hello Everyone!

I'm primarily an eclectic player who has always had a decent Acoustic lying around for when I'm in the kind of mood. At this point I have sold off my pretty Martins and ended up with an A6 Ultra. It gets me close enough to an acoustic sound while being much more comfortable against the body during longer sessions.

As of late I'm starting to dislike it. I find it kind of difficult to play and I'm not sure if this makes sense, but it just doesn't seem like a "strummers" guitar. While researching the usual T5/Acoustasonic alternatives and stumbled across the latest version of the Multiac Steel.

https://godinguitars.com/product/mul...eel-natural-hg

It has a blendable lyric mic as well as tape saturation? Interesting preamp for sure!

I'm curious if anyone has done a comparison between these guitars? Playability/plugged in acoustic tone wise would this be an upgrade?

Thanks,
Old 10-16-2020, 11:12 AM

I have a Nylon string fretless Godin Multiac. The plugged and unplugged sound is quite good. Not too loud unplugged but better than a solid body electric for sure. (The Fretless part is quite a challenge but that's another thread unto itself.) The MIDI triggering is also excellent. I rarely play this guitar because the lack of frets translate it into a completely different instrument to learn to play well.

I happened upon a Roland GR-33 at a price I couldn't pass up and got back into a bit of the MIDI world. I looked for a steel string WITH frets that also did MIDI triggering. I found a Godin LGXT at a good used price that I bought online. What I found from this guitar is as a solid body unplugged it is quite playable, a bit on the heavy side, but like any solid body guitar, not very loud unplugged.

However, the MIDI triggering is superb and the electric sound is completely flexible with a five way switch to mix and match the two electric pickups plus it has a separate piezo pickup with separate controls that with the right mixture of piezo with electric, creates an acoustic tone that is usable. It's not a high end acoustic by any stretch but in a band, it's close enough to an acoustic sound to be practical.

It is without a doubt, the most flexible electric guitar I own and the quality is excellent. I say all of the above to say that Robert Godin marches his own way and his innovative way to package things is second to none. A multiac steel string like you linked would be, in my opinion, a step high above a Taylor T5. The used market for Godin guitars seems to be a buyers market pricewise. They are quite a value. Good luck in your searching.
Old 10-16-2020, 12:00 PM

Thanks. I've been playing an A4 Ultra Fretless for nearly a decade now so I know the high end Godin stuff is amazing. L&M doesn't have the mutiac steel in their system so I'm guessing it hasn't been ordered much if at all in my part of the world.

Anyone else have experience with the newer model?
Old 10-16-2020, 12:14 PM
Charter Member

I play a Doyle Dykes signature which is basically the Multiac Steel without the lipstick pickup. My guitar buddy, after hearing mine, bought the Steel. Both guitars sound identical when he doesn't use the lipstick pickup.

He uses the additional pickup very infrequently and if he does, he runs it through a separate amp. He was hoping to get a 335 type of sound from it but it doesn't do that. The lipstick pickup is interesting but IMO not very useful.

JStotes
Old 10-16-2020, 01:04 PM

Cool thanks. Yea I don't have much use for the lipstick mainly been looking for an A6 with an internal mic and had no idea this existed.

Question, does the internal mic pickup much body noise? Few tracks I do the percussive thing on the body and wondering how that translates.

***Edit: I would totally go for the signature model if it had a few other colors and didn't have his name on the headstock. Not feeling the looks at all. Who knows though, the lipstick might come in hand one day

Last edited by Boy_Narf; 10-16-2020 at 06:54 PM.
Old 10-19-2020, 01:36 PM

Well I went ahead and ordered one. What the heck right?

One question, does the tape saturation/multiband also affect the lipstick pickup? Or just the two acoustic pickups?

Last edited by Boy_Narf; 10-19-2020 at 01:42 PM.
Old 10-19-2020, 02:43 PM
Charter Member

I don't believe the saturation covers the lipstick. I seldom use the feature. To me it sounds best with just the pickups.
These guitars play very nice and can sound terrific.
Certainly doesn't hurt to have the extra pickup whether you use it or not.

Let us know how you like it.
Old 11-04-2020, 05:30 PM

Hey Guys,

I actually swapped my order for the DD Multiac. Don't want to deal with hybrid strings anymore and if I want an electric tone, I will use an electric guitar

Wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a DI box for these guitars? I was thinking the Radial passive JDI perhaps?
Old 11-05-2020, 07:04 AM
Charter Member

Congrats on the new guitar. I use the Zoom AC3. Really east to dial in a great tone, has a couple effects and a good tuner.
Old 12-01-2020, 07:01 PM

Greetings! Just another question for the DD/multiac steel owners. Does the EQ control affect the lyric mic as well, or just the piezo?

Thanks.
Old 12-02-2020, 04:21 PM

Calling JStotes...
Old 12-02-2020, 04:58 PM

Another DD signature Multiac user here. Yes it is a wonderful performing guitar. I believe the EQ affects both the mic and pickup.

I though the saturation effect was useless and normally I don’t use it, but I have come to realize that it can help when the PA system is overly boomy or has frustrating resonant peaks. When that happens, the saturation evens out the sound in a way that really helps. I don’t use it otherwise.

There is also a mic adjustment screw behind the back control panel cover. What I recommend is setting the top mic control in it’s center detente position and adjusting this internal control to your liking. Then you can go up or down from there at typical gigs.

Doyle Dykes specked a slightly longer nut to headstock space so he can do those open string bends he does. I don’t do that, but I like the design because it leaves ample space for capos that store behind the nut.
Old 12-02-2020, 06:50 PM

Amazing thanks! I do a lot of train beat thump strumming (or whatever you call it) and was worried about the mic being too bassy. If I can adjust with EQ this is literally the exact feature set I've been hunting for. Back ordered for another month or so, but will report back for sure!
Old 02-05-2021, 07:07 PM

Well it finally arrived!

I don't see a single flaw/blemish on it (Gibson take note heh). This is the first guitar I've played that came with a perfect setup straight from the factory. It's extremely easy to play and has excellent action. For softer picking and slow strumming it sounds great. The mic adds a lot to the sound and livens things up quite a bit (this is what I was missing from the A6).

What I'm not a fan of is the glossy neck. Why do companies still do this? It's very slow feeling and sticky (going to be worse if I take it to the stage). Hopefully it will improve with time and wear.

I'm curious does anyone know if it's possible to adjust the volume of each string on the piezo? I had an old martin that allowed me to dial in the balance but not sure about this one (haven't taken any of the control covers off). It seems that the G and D strings are kind of buried by the other strings, and the E and B are a bit too loud/piercing even with the treble control turned down. This is regardless of the compressor/saturation setting. I'm still on the stock strings, so maybe that's the issue? Any thoughts? I was playing through a Bose S1 Pro.

In conclusion:

The A6 had a much better feeling satin neck (one of my all time favorites), and while the tone was nowhere near as acoustic sounding, it was much more defined than the DD. Playability wise there is no content, the DD wins hands down. I love the wider string spacing, it's great for fat fingers
Old 02-06-2021, 02:26 PM

Alright!

I ripped through my set today and this guitar is near perfect with the exception of the "un-defined" tone. The d and g strings are buried and hard to hear during full chords, fairly scooped tone imo (good for finger picking I suppose). I'm going to start a new thread asking about strings specifically on this guitar.

I did another once over and will report one single blemish. A flake of finish chipped of in the nut section is all I can find. Not too bad!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Tags
godin