The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-02-2020, 01:03 PM

Default Medium vs Heavy Picks

The strangest thing has happened over the past couple years. I always used medium picks, .71 but I have migrated to heavier picks, .96 to 1.0 and now I can't stand the sound of the medium picks. I am 66 years old and I wonder if my hearing has changed? Has anyone else noticed this? Still using the same guitars and playing a lot of the same songs.
Old 12-02-2020, 01:18 PM

Probably still using so called medium or medium heavy picks, here.
But similar story.
Used .73's for a long time, then .88's, now 1.0's.
Sounds and feels really strange when I grab one of the thinner picks, now.
Dunlop Flow's are everywhere around our house but I have a strong preference for the 1.0's. Tried the 1.4's and they didn't work for me. 1.0 seems to be the sweet spot for me.
Old 12-02-2020, 01:50 PM

Very similar experience for me: started with medium (around .73s), then moved to 1mm, and often use a 1.5mm now.

For me personally, I feel like it's changed as I've improved overall. It was easier for me to learn using a light/medium pick (more forgiving), and now I can branch out more to figure out what sound I like most (which turns out to be heavy apparently!).

Bashkin GC (Carpathian Spruce and Myrtlewood)
Guild D-40C (Sitka Spruce and Mahogany)
Old 12-02-2020, 02:35 PM

You're describing a path many of us have tread. As we build more control, we tend to get a tone we like better with a thicker pick. As for me, I started on a Fender thin (gasp), then went to Dunlop nylon .88, and for the last few years my pick of choice is the Ultex Jazz III XL, which I think is about 1.4

Taylor 512ce 12-fret (cedar/mahogany grand concert)
Seagull Artist Studio (spruce/rosewood dreadnought)
Old 12-02-2020, 02:36 PM

Same for me; started out with thin picks back in the early 80s. After retiring around 2016 I started reading about such stuff as pick thickness, and other things, and started experimenting. Lo and behold I'm a thick pick guy now. I get better sound and play better with 1.3 to 1.5mm picks like Primetone, Wegen, and similar. I have found my limit with a couple of Pearse Fast Turtle picks. The 2.5 is too thick but the 1.2 is good. Got a baggie full of thinner picks that I'll probably give away some day.
Old 12-02-2020, 02:38 PM
Charter Member

I started with thin picks back in the early 80's when I first tried learning to play guitar. After I had been playing a while, I found that I was most comfortable with something around 1.0. For some things I prefer a 1.25 - 1.5 but if I'm playing a gig and I'm going to have a pick in my had for 3 - 4 hours I usually grab an .88 and flex it a bit in my fingers to make it stiffer. My hand doesn't fatigue as much that way.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 12-02-2020, 02:41 PM

My acoustic pick is the Dunlop Delrin lavender 1.5mm. My electric pick is the 2mm purple.

1984 Carvin LB-40 bass
1986 Carvin DC-125 two humbucker
1996 Taylor 412
La Patrie Concert
2012 American Standard Telecaster
1981 Carvin DC 100
Harley Benton LP JR DC
Bushman Delta Frost & Suzuki harmonicas
Artley flute
Six-plus decade old vocal apparatus
Old 12-02-2020, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

Things changed for me with the discovery of blue chip picks.

The first one I got (can't remember how - it was used) it was a 346 large triangle and 1 m/m thick, called a TAD40.

Before that I'd been using long discontinured Martin "Naturalrone" 1 m/m teardrops. (when I heard that they'd been discontinued them, I bought up the entire UK stock! - still got them!)

I do believe that for many (shouldn't generalise) as our style develops, our preference for thicker pick also develops.

I also believe that the slight extra mass of the large triangles mean you can have slightly lighter thicknesses, but its all about the material of course.

I've settled on BC TAD50s (1.25 m/m) for meduim guage strings (dreads etc), and TAD40s (1 m/m) for light guage on 000 and smaller.
Old 12-02-2020, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumstrummer View Post
You're describing a path many of us have tread. As we build more control, we tend to get a tone we like better with a thicker pick. As for me, I started on a Fender thin (gasp), then went to Dunlop nylon .88, and for the last few years my pick of choice is the Ultex Jazz III XL, which I think is about 1.4

I have a bunch of the John Petrucci version of the Jazz III ultex. They’re 1.5mm, and I can’t use anything else now. I started with medium, and then moves to .95, and now I can’t use thin picks now. With thicker picks I can be more dynamic, and the tone is just better. Many go nuts testing strings, bridge pins, nut material, saddles, when most of the time a different pick is exactly what you need.
Old 12-02-2020, 06:17 PM
Charter Member

I usually like a .8 - 1.0 although I just recently bought a Gravity classic 1.5 that I like quite a bit. Nice to switch around. I like experimenting with a lot of different materials and brands.
Larrivee P03 sitka/hog,simple 6 OM & OM 09
Eastman E100ss-sb
Gibson J185 & 2016 J35
Fender player plus telecaster & Mustang P90
Gretsch MIK 5622T
Old 12-02-2020, 09:35 PM

I also started with flimsy flapping nylon .73 mm picks back in the 70's. When I started picking mandolin I immediately saw these could not cut it with dual strung, high tension strings.

I now play all plectrum stringed instruments mostly with 2.0 mm picks. Those flimsy little under 1 mm picks just sound like a baseball card flipping through bicycle spokes.
Old 12-02-2020, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
I also started with flimsy flapping nylon .73 mm picks back in the 70's. When I started picking mandolin I immediately saw these could not cut it with dual strung, high tension strings.

I now play all plectrum stringed instruments mostly with 2.0 mm picks. Those flimsy little under 1 mm picks just sound like a baseball card flipping through bicycle spokes.
... and those 2.0mm overkill monsters feel like hub caps/frying pans.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 12-02-2020, 11:12 PM

Never liked thin picks. Learned on Fender Heavy, but favor a smaller pick these days. My goto are Dunlop Ultex Jazz III XL for acoustic and Dunlop Jazz III for electric. Both are 1.38mm I think. But I do play around with all things Jazz III.
Old 12-03-2020, 06:37 AM

For me, picks are a tone control. So it depends on the guitar. And the pick material.

On my Walden, I use a 1.14mm Ultex, also a M Red bear. It could use a little extra snap, with it's mellow cedar top.

The Farida likes Ultex 2.0 sounds best, the thicker pick adds a bit of body to the note over something thinner.

On the Ovation, I can use almost anything, and the tone doesn't change as much. But that guitar has such a rich sound (it's dreadnaught in nature), so a thinner pick helps older strings sparkle a little more.

I will say I've basically settled on Ultex for ALL my guitars- electrics too. While I do have a few different pick materials (Red Bear, Blue Chip, Gator, Ultex), in general, for simplicity's sake, I use my Ultex's all the time. Same reason I buy all my cable from Spectraflex- I bought a couple years ago, loved them, so stuck with them... it's not a price thing or a sound thing, it's just something that's always worked for me, and the grass isn't always greener on the other side.
2023 Traveler Redlands Spruce Concert

"Just play today. The rest will work itself out." - Bob from Brooklyn
Old 12-03-2020, 06:44 AM

Hey DG... we're both 66!

I switched to Martin .96 picks many years ago... I use them for both acoustic and electric. I think the thicker pick gives me more dynamic range to play lightly, then dig in during the same song.

I used medium Fenders before that, but can't stand them now.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion