The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 12-07-2020, 03:40 PM

Within the past month, I purchased both an Eastman Octave Mandolin (MDO-305) and an Eastman A-Style Mandolin (MD-305). Carved spruce top, solid maple back & sides. Very good build quality, and they both sound great. My only nitpick would be that the tuners could be a little better.

...and yes, you're gonna need a thicker pick! I settled on Primetone 1.4mm.

Last edited by Kerbie; 12-07-2020 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Not allowed.
Old 12-07-2020, 03:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
IMO they're also some of the most beautiful string instruments ever conceived with their Art Nouveau aesthetic, and while the Loar-era F-5 gets all the attention (and commands the highest prices) I've always been partial to the F-4...
All true and truth be told, I find these aesthetics to be equally compelling to the point that I'll likely cough up the extra money for a F style mando at some point!
Old 12-09-2020, 05:03 PM
Charter Member

Beware the F style disease. There is no cure. And once you get a taste for quality, the major players will set you back over five grand. The Collings MF or the Gibson F 9 are mid fives. You want a bound sides and back, neck and headstock and you get into the sevens. Want the equivalent of a Martin D 42 and you start pushing into the ten grand and beyond. Boutique? $15,000 up. Gibson master model is over $20K, and there is a lot of company.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments