The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-17-2021, 02:56 AM

Default Grace Design Felix 2 Review

Hi all,

I hope this is ok to post here but I recently did a review of the Felix 2 and I thought it might be of interest:

I've been using a Felix v1 for a few years now and been very happy with it - there's some added functionality with the Felix 2 (dual effects loops, ability to change if the boost works on both channels or channel 1 only, etc) but the biggest difference for me was the variable phase control - I found it was the cherry on top when it came to blending my K&K and DPA setup, making everything sound more 'solid' and together when compared to a 'non-phase aligned' signal...

I felt it made enough of a difference that I'm saving up to buy a v2 to replace my v1!

Last edited by Jack Orion; 06-17-2021 at 02:57 AM. Reason: fix youtube link
Old 06-17-2021, 03:18 AM
Charter Member

I recently bought a FELiX 2 and love it. The features, versatility, and quality make it the best preamp I've ever had.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 06-17-2021, 07:46 AM

GOD, I'm looking forward to put my hands on it! As soon as I can travel to US again, I'll get one of these and use it as my preamp/mixer for vocals and acoustic guitar! Farewell, Touchmix 8!

2005 Martin HD28 with K&K Trinity;
2012 Cordoba C10;
Grace Design Felix 2;
Sennheiser MD441;
DPA 4099 Core;
DPA 4018L;
Bose L1 Compact;
QSC Touchmix 8;
QSC K10.2;
Neumann u87ai;
Neumann KMS105;
Neumann KM184 (matched pair).

http://www.youtube.com/rodrigopandelo
http://www.rodrigopandelo.com
http://www.instagram.com/rodrigopandelo

São Paulo/Brazil
Old 06-17-2021, 10:05 AM

I went the same route: Love my Felix1 but the new boost select function gave me reason to part with it. Performing with various stringed instruments and preferring a mic on a boom stand for mandolin again (after using dual source for many years) makes the Felix2 update the perfect piece of gear. Now I have quite a bunch of internal mics for sale, beside some fine preamps. But living in Europe makes my offerings too expensive for the U.S.(think of import taxes).

https://www.youtube.com/@roberthasleder1526
Old 06-17-2021, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Orion View Post
Hi all,

I hope this is ok to post here but I recently did a review of the Felix 2 and I thought it might be of interest:

I've been using a Felix v1 for a few years now and been very happy with it - there's some added functionality with the Felix 2 (dual effects loops, ability to change if the boost works on both channels or channel 1 only, etc) but the biggest difference for me was the variable phase control - I found it was the cherry on top when it came to blending my K&K and DPA setup, making everything sound more 'solid' and together when compared to a 'non-phase aligned' signal...

I felt it made enough of a difference that I'm saving up to buy a v2 to replace my v1!

Nice review, although I would like to point out there was one area that I think can be improved.

When you had your partner adjusting the controls on channel 2...

It would have been nice to hear the notch filter setting along with the demo of the HP Filter.

But most importantly, because the mid control IMO is the most powerful control on the Felix...

He adjusted the Q filter after putting the mid control in the off position (center detent), so that was worthless as it would have no effect and you can't hear what the Q control does. I think a general sweep of the frequency knob in med cut, and then med boost, would be nice, with an example of wide and narrow Q in each.

Other than that, this was a nice introduction to the Felix/Felix2

I've been a long time user of the Felix and Grace, and because they've been some of the best gear purchases I've ever made, I like promoting them whenever I can. So thanks for doing this.
Old 06-18-2021, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Nice review, although I would like to point out there was one area that I think can be improved.

When you had your partner adjusting the controls on channel 2...

It would have been nice to hear the notch filter setting along with the demo of the HP Filter.

But most importantly, because the mid control IMO is the most powerful control on the Felix...

He adjusted the Q filter after putting the mid control in the off position (center detent), so that was worthless as it would have no effect and you can't hear what the Q control does. I think a general sweep of the frequency knob in med cut, and then med boost, would be nice, with an example of wide and narrow Q in each.

Other than that, this was a nice introduction to the Felix/Felix2

I've been a long time user of the Felix and Grace, and because they've been some of the best gear purchases I've ever made, I like promoting them whenever I can. So thanks for doing this.
Yes I agree with you on the mid control - unfortunately we filmed seven videos that day so I didn't have a chance to go through the audio/video to check that my instructions on the demo had been followed - in future I think I'll use a loop pedal to loop a phrase and adjust the settings myself.
Old 06-18-2021, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Orion View Post
Yes I agree with you on the mid control - unfortunately we filmed seven videos that day so I didn't have a chance to go through the audio/video to check that my instructions on the demo had been followed - in future I think I'll use a loop pedal to loop a phrase and adjust the settings myself.
Good idea, it would be cool to do little instruction videos of the Felix to actually show the effect if each option. And a looper would make this very easy!!! And maybe when doing this, turn off the channel that is not being affected by the controls, so you hear exactly what each control does on the channel you are using.

So many people that I talk to feel like these are complicated preamps, but in actuality, with just a little practice, I think they are very easy to use while performing, along with being very powerful tools! Everything is right there under your fingertips that you need to get the job done!

And let me restate this, thank you for doing the video to begin with! It's obvious we both love the Grace preamps!
Old 06-18-2021, 08:52 AM

I love my original Felix. There's not enough upgrades here to make me want version two though. I think the headphone option is really neat, but that's about it. The power supply upgrade seems good, but I have never experienced ground loops before so I don't see that as necessary. Good review though!
Old 06-19-2021, 07:26 PM

I had a Felix for a while. Im curious, what’s the advantage of Felix vs a Helix or a Stomp. They are roughly the same price, Helix a little more, Stomp a little less. But the options and flexibility seems to be a LOT more. What am I missing?
'13 Jaffrey #26 - Malaysian Blackwood!
'21 Gretsch 5622
'22 Furch Red Pure G-LR - Barbera Soloist
ST-300 Mini + DIY mic preamp
Old 06-20-2021, 08:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschultz View Post
I had a Felix for a while. Im curious, what’s the advantage of Felix vs a Helix or a Stomp. They are roughly the same price, Helix a little more, Stomp a little less. But the options and flexibility seems to be a LOT more. What am I missing?
The FELiX 2 is a straight-ahead, studio-quality but rugged preamp loaded with EQ and I/O features, and no effects, The Helix and Stomp devices include effects and modeling (IR) capabilities but likely don't rise to the quality-component level of the FELiX 2. Does a player need the high-quality of the FELiX 2 compared to the Helix and Stomp? Probably not, and many players would rather have the decent-quality of those two devices along with all their effects and IR features over the FELiX 2. Then again, there's nothing wrong with using a FELiX 2 preamp for initial acoustic-guitar pickup tone-shaping ahead of a Helix or Stomp for their effects and modeling to further flesh out the guitar tone to desired preferences.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 06-20-2021 at 03:44 PM.
Old 06-20-2021, 10:08 PM

It's quite difficult to a bad thing for Grace Felix, may be expensive, perhaps...

Grace Felix
L.R.Baggs Mixpro
Zoom A3

Trace Elliot TA40CR
Henriksen the Bud ten
Old 06-26-2021, 05:27 PM
Charter Member

Big question is would you record acoustic guitar with the Felix? Or would you still use a mic?
2017 Taylor 714ce
Old 06-26-2021, 09:41 PM
Charter Member

Default Felix Quality Would Eliminate Most PickUP Control Issues

Aloha,

Yes, variety is definitely the spice of life. And it also lends itself to lively opinions & discussions at AGF.

But most Pickup & Venue control problems are no longer an issue at all once you invest in the quality of a great DUAL-SOURCE pickup system & run it through the Class-A electronics of the well-designed, studio quality & useful Felix2 dual-source preamp. Yes, you can use it successfully in the studio too.

SO I'LL SAY IT AGAIN: If you love playing amplified acoustic guitar, want a better, more balanced acoustic amplified sound, or are a regular gigger, then you MUST INVEST (Yes, spend more money smartly) in the quality tools (like the Felix2) that allow you to fully maximize & control your sound, your gear & the venue's you play in.

No longer made, the Pendulum SPS-1 was the industry-standard live preamp for about 30 years. Even the Felix still can't match its overall studio quality or EQ control, IMO. The Felix has more modern control features however. The Felix2 is THE preamp of today. Man, that SPS-1 changed the way I listened to music. Look for them used.

If you care passionately about your Live music or make money from it, why is $1095 such a BF problem for you. That's only half to one-quarter the cost of a high-quality studio preamp. Isn't your music worth the quality of that tool, when it eliminates so many potential problems?!?

To review:
Depending upon your music styles, what you really need for great live acoustic sound & control is:

1) a planned, compatible live signal chain made up of parts of the same quality, preferrably NOT on a peddle board (NOISE!).

2) a dual-source pickup system, that includes a mic (like a K&K Trinity Pro System - EZ to self-install) or a Dazzo SBT P/U (very easy to break with home installations - don't do it!) combined with a high-end internal condenser mic like a DPA, AKG or Silver Bullet or external mic.

3) a Felix2 dual-source preamp, with superior, fully-parametric EQ & sweepable Mid-Range control, that allows for separate EQ'ing & summing of the two sources.

With that type of signal chain, you won't have to discuss the minor tonal differences or imbalances created by impedance differences (or the need for something like an Ultratonic "upgrade") ever again. It would eliminate many of the useless discussions we have here at AGF about minor impedance differences few can hear & which are easily controlled/eliminated by a great live EQ. Aren't you worth the investment? Play through the best. Or at least audition it. Get a Felix2 & learn how to apply it, friends. Change your live acoustic world.

alohachris

PS: Reliance upon stomp boxes takes you farther & farther away from natural acoustic guitar sound. But many also like that compressed "pedal board" sound. Many are actually electric guitarists at heart, IMO. Ha! I still think Boss pedals have long ruled that pedal world, IMO. -alohachris-

Last edited by alohachris; 06-26-2021 at 10:18 PM.
Old 06-27-2021, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbelsch View Post
Big question is would you record acoustic guitar with the Felix? Or would you still use a mic?
Well I think an external mic is almost always going to sound better…

But I did use my Felix when I recorded an album recently - I was performing vocals and guitar at the same time so we took the signal from the Felix in case we needed to get a bit more guitar in the mix - after a bit of work phase aligning all the separate signals (vocal mic, guitar mic, room mic and Felix) we did end up using the di signal to add a little more low end and mids in the guitar in a few places, but it was at least 95% external mics

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification