The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-15-2021, 09:43 AM

Default The Effect of Electricity

This past Fall I bought a Martin Streetmaster GPC 15ME. I had an issue with the neck and a hiccup with Guitar Center. Suffice it to say, I received a replacement guitar. There’s nothing wrong with it but it’s not everything I’m looking for in a guitar.

I’m considering buying an acoustic combo amp as well as another guitar. I can’t afford to buy both simultaneously. I play blues with a pick and bluegrass/old time. I know that talking about an amp that would give me my desired tone could be a thread of its own.

Right now my inclination is to get an amp first, and here’s why. Plugging in will definitely make my guitar more responsive to the touch. I also wonder if I would have some choices with tone by adjusting the Low/Mid/High knobs on the amp. In short, I’m wondering if an amp might fill in the gaps with some of the things I’m looking for?

I’ve never owned an amp before. I know that the best thing to do is take my guitar to a shop, plug it in and see what happens. I’ll be doing that as soon as I can. I was just wondering if my reasoning is sound? Anyone care to weigh in

Thanks,
Timothy
Old 06-15-2021, 01:18 PM

You already have a guitar. If it plays well enough to suit you, you can go try out amps to find one that complements the sound quality and keep the guitar for the foreseeable future.

If you intend to replace the guitar no matter how it sounds through even the best-sounding amp, buying the amp first might be a risk. Finding a guitar that sounds good through your amp might be problematic.

So, if you actually plant to replace the guitar no matter how it sounds through any amp, I would replace the guitar first.

On the other hand, if you need to use an amp right away, your decision is made.
Old 06-15-2021, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkersey View Post
Right now my inclination is to get an amp first, and here’s why. Plugging in will definitely make my guitar more responsive to the touch. I also wonder if I would have some choices with tone by adjusting the Low/Mid/High knobs on the amp. In short, I’m wondering if an amp might fill in the gaps with some of the things I’m looking for?
Since you have never owned an amp, it looks like you may be 'projecting' a bit.

Amplifiers are not band-aids to 'fix' a less-than-great guitar. If you are unhappy with an instrument, you will never achieve happiness by adjusting the controls on your amp.

On the other hand, if you are happy with your guitar sound, it is absolutely possible to accentuate or de-emphasize certain frequencies and make the tone even more impactful (even if you are losing a small amount of fidelity).

I recommend that you obtain the next guitar first, and get accustomed to it's tone and response. Then when you are ready ($$$) for the amp, take this guitar and play it through your candidate amps.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 06-15-2021, 09:32 PM

If your current guitar doesn’t give you quite the sound you’re looking for, an amp may not help. It would depend on the pickup in your guitar and your amp. Either might, or might not change the sound the way you want. The very best pickups and amps simply make the sound of your guitar louder. As I read your post, that isn’t all that you’re looking for.

I would definitely recommend trying your guitar through any amp you’re considering before you buy. You may find that you need a different instrument first, then maybe an amp.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification