The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-18-2021, 08:40 AM

Default Adding a Bose Sub 1 to a Bose S1 Pro.

Like many of us, I play completely different sized venues ranging from just a couple of people to over a hundred. I have been looking for a scalable system where I can grab just what I need for a particular gig.

I just found out that you can use a Bose Sub 1 or Sub 2 with one or two S1 Pro speakers. The Bose Sub 1 or 2 has a preset especially for the S1 Pro which passes only the high frequencies to one or two S1 Pros.

https://youtu.be/5O-bf28Yf7k

I already have two S1 Pros. I will be using it mainly with my guitar and vocal going through a small amp and pointed at myself as a monitor. On the smallest gigs, I will just use the amp by itself. A few more people and I will use a single S1 Pro. For low volume but spread out coverage, I will add a second S1 Pro. If I need full PA volumes, I will add the Sub 1. For even more volume, I could add a second Sub 1. I believe that using a second Sub 1 is roughly equivalent to using a single Sub 2.

This DJ did a video where he uses a two S1 Pro, Sub 1 setup for a wedding dance scenario and felt that the system could handle a dance crowd of about 120 people. My guess is that with a listening crowd and guitar and vocals only, that the number would be considerably higher: certainly as big an audience as I would ever have.

https://youtu.be/4t5wbe0RPDQ

Is anyone here using the Bose S1 with the Sub 1? I am really tempted to order the Sub 1 to complete this system.
Old 06-18-2021, 08:47 AM

I don't have any experience with it, just the S1 Pro, but I love the idea. To have a scaleable system to match the gig would be awesome!
Old 06-18-2021, 09:56 AM

It also looks like the Bose app assigns stereo audio to a to S1 Pro, one Sub 1/2 setup with minimal cables. The perfect party music setup!
Old 06-18-2021, 03:10 PM

Bought my first S1 pro 3 years ago. I now have 2 and the sub1. I don’t see a need at all for 2 of the subs. If this is for singer/songwriter type of gig, the sub is almost unnecessary. The s1 pro is surprisingly good on its own.... if you’re adding bass guitar or keyboard that’s where the sub1 will shine. I don’t notice a large difference with guitar and vocals...... I’ve only used the sub a few times and I’m sure I will work on dialing things in..... my setup goes through a QSC mixer out to the sub1 then to the s1 pros.... I will update as I use it more..

(Your above second video is not with the sub1 but with an F1 sub)
Old 06-18-2021, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REO View Post
Bought my first S1 pro 3 years ago. I now have 2 and the sub1. I don’t see a need at all for 2 of the subs. If this is for singer/songwriter type of gig, the sub is almost unnecessary. The s1 pro is surprisingly good on its own.... if you’re adding bass guitar or keyboard that’s where the sub1 will shine. I don’t notice a large difference with guitar and vocals...... I’ve only used the sub a few times and I’m sure I will work on dialing things in..... my setup goes through a QSC mixer out to the sub1 then to the s1 pros.... I will update as I use it more..

(Your above second video is not with the sub1 but with an F1 sub)
Thanks for that perspective, and the correction. Yes, I think that for much of what I do, a single S1 Pro will suffice. That is the beauty of it: the scalability. I drive a Mini Cooper Clubman, which limits the amount of equipment I can bring. It will be really nice to be able to handle a little bigger rooms when I need to.
Old 06-21-2021, 02:09 PM
Charter Member

I’ve played some large rooms with up to 350 people just using a single S1 Pro and had way more volume than needed. And these weren’t quite theatre gigs but noisy bars full of people laughing and drinking. You may be underestimating the potential of this unit. Like others have said it won’t carry drums or a keyboard but for one guitar and vocal it’s plenty for the job.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 06-21-2021, 02:41 PM
Guitar Honey

I also have a pair of S1 Pros, just added the 2nd one recently. With just solo guitar, one vocal, and bluetooth rhythm, one is usually plenty. I did some outdoor worship leading for my church this past year and brought both mounted on poles, and it was plenty to fill up the amphitheater at a park for a couple hundred ppl.
It surprises me every time after decades of lugging around heavier, more cumbersome systems, the sound these little guys put out! Love that they’re battery powered too. ♥️

I also have a Bose L1 that I used for years before the S1 Pros, and I did add it a couple of times, along with a small mixer, when we had more players. But when it’s just me, I like to keep it SIMPLE and EASY. Throw it all in my rolling wagon and set it up in less than 5 mins! 😉
Old 06-25-2021, 10:03 AM

Well, I got the Bose Sub 1 yesterday, and the combination of it and the S1 Pro is indeed wonderful. Just like that the S1 goes from being a small audience system to sounding massive! I expect that it doesn’t have anywhere near the throw of a full L1 tower, but it certainly sounds competitive other than that.

For me, it will be perfect. I only need the extra audio horsepower occasionally, and this will absolutely accomplish that with minimal other changes in gear.

So far, I have only played it in my living room. I’ll report back after I try it out in public.
Old 06-29-2021, 07:21 PM
Charter Member

My first concern was knowing that the B1 subwoofer for my L1 Model II is a PASSIVE speaker - no power of it's own, takes power from the base unit of the L1... I didn't figure the S1 had enough power to drive that subwoofer...

Sounds like the newer units DO have their own power amp. Glad it sounds good to you! Hope it works out in a live venue...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 06-29-2021, 08:39 PM

Yes, the Sub1 and Sub2 are powered subwoofers. The Sub1 is 480 watts and the larger Sub2 is 1000.
Old 06-30-2021, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
Yes, the Sub1 and Sub2 are powered subwoofers. The Sub1 is 480 watts and the larger Sub2 is 1000.
Yes that was my concern as well

our band plays with a compact and an l1 b1. both subs are powered by
a speakon. I assumed they all worked like that. I have a similar setup.
But i use a schertler sub and a qsc cp8.. The schertler sub crosses over
at 200hz which is perfect for acoustic
guitar
.Sounds like you have a nice sounding
setup
Old 07-05-2021, 04:05 PM

I like the way my Schertler Roy handles subwoofers: it high passes everything going to the built in speakers, but sends full range to the line out. It makes adding a sub a one cable affair...not that the Roy needs any added bass!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification