The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-15-2021, 09:26 AM

I've used something like this to present audio from Reaper while playing along via my interface, as far as I could ascertain no sync issues. Is there something about your setup I'm not getting? [Edit - it's been a while since I did this and I may have had to do some creative routing and am now oversimplifying it in my memory, I'll explore the setup again]

Is it maybe that you're playing backing tracks and asking a student to play along? That *is* a bit of a Gordian Knot at the minute.

P.S. just reread your last post, will ROL not recognise VM as an input?

Last edited by shufflebeat; 06-15-2021 at 09:36 AM.
Old 06-15-2021, 10:15 AM

The backing track is for me to play along to my side to show a guitar part when learning a song, for example. Then I have them play the track their side so there's no latency/delay issues. But this isn't the problem.

I do think ROL only detects the front two analogue ports on the Focusrite, as it uses the Windows 10 sound settings.

I know there's probably a more effective and simple way but this is the method I've used with no problems for months so I'll keep it this way.
Old 06-15-2021, 10:55 AM

Fair enough, in that case I think the answer is probably somewhere in the thread already depending on how you want to approach it.
Old 06-15-2021, 01:25 PM

Yeah I think the main question is the best way to use my D28 which hasn't got any electronics in, so either via a soundhole pickup (LR Baggs M80/iRig Acoustic Stage) or using a mic (SM57 or something with another xlr input into the mixer)
Old 06-15-2021, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degenerates View Post
Yeah I think the main question is the best way to use my D28 which hasn't got any electronics in, so either via a soundhole pickup (LR Baggs M80/iRig Acoustic Stage) or using a mic (SM57 or something with another xlr input into the mixer)
That choice really comes down to sound quality vs "ease of use". Pickup has better ease of use but not a great acoustic sound; mic will sound much better but you'll need a new mixer as well if you want separate mics for vox and guitar. (Though, tbh, you might find a single condenser mic, appropriately placed, works well for both at once.)
Old 06-16-2021, 04:47 AM

Ultimately I think it’s both, I like a simple plug in and play setup but I also want the best sound I can get, which involves spending money and slightly more connections.

I forgot I could use something like the Yamaha MG06 which has 2 xlr inputs into my Focusrite as I already have been using the interface into my computer. So for streaming purposes I could get either an Sm57 or a nice condenser mic to use with the acoustic. Sometimes I’ll record videos for students to play along to but I won’t need a vocal mic for that. As I sit down and am in the same position all the time this would work.

If the MG10xu does two way monitoring I could just use this for everything and it has 4 inputs so I could even use both a mic and a pickup and blend the two.

Long term if I wanna play live I’ll get the M80 pickup.

Last edited by Degenerates; 06-27-2021 at 02:07 PM.
Old 06-27-2021, 02:10 PM

Looks like I'll have to suck it up and get an MG06 or a 10, without USB as no one seems to be able to do two-way monitoring with the USB versions as they only seem to be able to send audio one way. As I already have a Focusrite to get it into the computer its not a big deal.

So with a spare xlr port I'll be looking at some microphones. I'm gonna get an SM57 anyway cos I wanna mic some electric guitar amps but I don't think they perform well with acoustics.

The Aston Origin is meant to be very good, as well as one of the AKG ones. Both are condensers I believe. Are there no dynamic mics at all that do a good job of mic'ing an acoustic. Just on the mixer there's a switch for 48v phantom power but its not channel relevant so I think it applies to all channels (as in for a channel I'd be using a dynamic mic).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification