The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 05-03-2021, 02:42 AM

Default Custom (Rubber/Silicone) Soundhole Cover / Feedback Buster?

Hi, is anyone aware of a place that can make custom feedback busters in rubber/silicone?

A regular 4" cover is too big for my Yairi DY75 so I'm looking for something smaller - and with a cut out for volume dial!

I really don't like the wooden designs from the likes of Lutehole.com and lacuna-acousticart.com (a bit medieval for me!) - I'm just looking for something plain and black like all of the regular ones that are available for standard 4" holes.

Perhaps it can be done with 3D printing nowadays?

Failing that, is it possible to 'sand off' an exisiting rubber one (by 2 or 3mm) to get it to fit?

Or is the reality for me a can of black paint, a CD, some hot water, a pair of scissors, a bit of foam and a glue gun my best option.......

Thanks for any suggestions or advice anyone can offer (apart from playing at a lower volume!).
Old 05-03-2021, 07:34 AM
AGF Sponsor

If you are wanting to try a DYI, a balloon and margarine bowl lid will work, which is easily cut with scissors. I doubt you could sand the rubber cover to fit but you should be able to trim it with some HD scissors.
Old 05-03-2021, 08:29 AM
Charter Member

Know anyone with a 3d printer?
Old 05-03-2021, 08:37 AM

I've made sound hole covers using foam poster board and card stock. Cut the foam board to a snug fit, and then glue it to a larger disc of card stock to keep it from falling in. This is a jury rig for experimental purposes, of course, but you could readily adapt that to nicer materials such as wood, and cork, or felt, for gaskets.

The lute rose type of feedback buster works by adding drag to the air flow through the hole at the 'main air' resonant pitch, which is the usual problem. Having a network of holes that cover the entire span of the hole, with a lot of edges, is the key to cutting down the amplitude of the mode without altering it's pitch much. A piece of window screen or gauze stretched over a ring would be extremely effective. The 'inverted wedding cake' parchment roses are the paradigm.

If there's a maker space near you it might be possible to get somebody there to make one up on a laser cutter, or you could join and do it yourself.
Old 11-26-2021, 06:03 AM

Default SOLUTION!!

8 months later I've finally found the solution! (or at least a better solution than the DIY CD I've been using!)

Yairi/Alavrez sound holes are usually 100mm which means most 'Feedback Busters' are simply too big.

However, the Australian guitar company Maton make a 100mm black rubber feedback buster.
Couldn't find one in the UK but ordered one from Thomann (Germany) for £24.50 (plus postage).
Fits perfectly in both my YB1 Baritone and my DY75.

Was easy to cut a 'notch' out for my volume wheel with a stanley knife.

Really pleased! Hope this might help others...

Update two - now the company ORTEGA are selling a 100mm black rubber feeback buster (Ortega Feedback Eliminator 100 Soundhole Cover, 100mm). It's more pliable than the Maton and easier to put in and take out. Also in the UK you can purchase one for £7 (+£2 postage) from Gear4Music which is less than a third of the price of getting a Maton one. Came next day too. It seems that the market for 100mm soundholes is opening up!

Last edited by JazzyJ; 04-27-2022 at 05:29 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop