The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-09-2020, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindboyjimi View Post
This for sure makes me want to trade something in for a 16” or jumbo. I wish I had something I didn’t absolutely love so I could trade up. It’s awesome.
Thanks! I'm really looking forward to getting this guitar in person!
Old 10-13-2020, 08:39 AM

The varnish really brings the wood to life.It`s going to be glorious when finished.
Old 10-14-2020, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegleghowell View Post
The varnish really brings the wood to life.It`s going to be glorious when finished.
I am amazed by the way the wood looks, and Nick says the photos don’t really do it justice.
Old 10-14-2020, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhw48 View Post
I am amazed by the way the wood looks, and Nick says the photos don’t really do it justice.
I'm getting excited and amped up, and I'm not even the person who is going to receive the guitar!!!!!!
Old 10-15-2020, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerFoodie View Post
I'm getting excited and amped up, and I'm not even the person who is going to receive the guitar!!!!!!

I am similarly excited, but it seems slightly unreal for the moment - I look at the photos, re-read all the posts and catch myself thinking “I’m so jealous!” I am constantly wanting to bug Nick, not only to get the lastest updates (“the varnish is drying”), but to reassure myself that it’s actually happening!
Old 10-15-2020, 04:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I am similarly excited, but it seems slightly unreal for the moment - I look at the photos, re-read all the posts and catch myself thinking “I’m so jealous!” I am constantly wanting to bug Nick, not only to get the lastest updates (“the varnish is drying”), but to reassure myself that it’s actually happening!
“Drying” refers to the evaporation of the solvent which results in a solid film. Nitrocellulose Lacquer is a common finish that changes to a solid through a “drying” process. “Curing” refers to a chemical reaction that occurs in the finish to bring about the change from liquid to solid. Oil Varnish is a common finish that changes to a solid through a “curing” process...
Old 10-16-2020, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
“Drying” refers to the evaporation of the solvent which results in a solid film. Nitrocellulose Lacquer is a common finish that changes to a solid through a “drying” process. “Curing” refers to a chemical reaction that occurs in the finish to bring about the change from liquid to solid. Oil Varnish is a common finish that changes to a solid through a “curing” process...

The distinction between "drying" and "curing" is an interesting one. Both lacquer and varnish "dry" as well as "cure". As you point out, the processes are different for each. Lacquer "drys" through the evaporation of solvents, and will continue to "cure" over at least the next month as the finish continues to "off-gas" the remnants of the solvent. Oil Varnish dries through a chemical reaction -- precipitated by UV. Nick has a UV box into which he places the guitar for 12 hours to dry between coats. Although dry to the touch, the varnish will continue to cure for several months. In both cases the finish hardens as it continues to cure.

Last edited by mhw48; 10-16-2020 at 07:55 AM.
Old 10-16-2020, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
The distinction between "drying" and "curing" is an interesting one. Both lacquer and varnish "dry" as well as "cure". As you point out, the processes are different for each. Lacquer "drys" through the evaporation of solvents, and will continue to "cure" over at least the next month as the finish continues to "off-gas" the remnants of the solvent. Oil Varnish dries through a chemical reaction -- precipitated by UV. Nick has a UV box into which he places the guitar for 12 hours to dry between coats. Although dry to the touch, the varnish will continue to cure for several months. In both cases the finish hardens as it continues to cure.
I’m not sure you and Bob are agreeing here. He’s saying drying is a physical process (evaporation of solvents) and curing is a chemical process (not related to solvents). It sounds like you’re saying solvents are evaporating in both cases. I actually know little about finish chemistry.
Old 10-16-2020, 01:26 PM

Yes, varnish and lacquer go from liquid to solid through different processes. However "drying" and "curing" are different parts of that process: "Most paints and varnishes, as well as many lacquers, undergo both drying and curing processes. Drying is the initial phase, where the coating shrinks due to the loss of the solvent component. Curing is the second (usually much longer) phase where the coating changes physically and/or chemically; it may swell slightly during this process."

Last edited by mhw48; 10-16-2020 at 02:38 PM.
Old 10-16-2020, 01:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes, varnish and lacquer go from liquid to solid throughdifferend processes. However "drying" and "curing" are different parts of that process: "Most paints and varnishes, as well as many lacquers, undergo both drying and curing processes. Drying is the initial phase, where the coating shrinks due to the loss of the solvent component. Curing is the second (usually much longer) phase where the coating changes physically and/or chemically; it may swell slightly during this process."
I’m fairly sure your guitar is going to dry and cure into a work of art!
Old 10-16-2020, 02:38 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
I’m not sure you and Bob are agreeing here. He’s saying drying is a physical process (evaporation of solvents) and curing is a chemical process (not related to solvents). It sounds like you’re saying solvents are evaporating in both cases. I actually know little about finish chemistry.
I'm not disagreeing with Bob. I think a confusion of tongues occurred between us because, as Bob rightly noted, "drying" of lacquer refers to hardening through evaporation of solvents, while "curing" of oil varnish refers to chemical polymerization. However, for a craftsman "dry time", for either lacquer or varnish, refers to the length of time between coats, "cure time" refers to the time before the instrument can be put to use. So when I call Nick for an update, he'll say "the varnish is drying" because he just put on another coat and stuck the guitar in his UV drying box. Once all the coats have been applied, he'll say "the finish is curing for a while" before he sends it to me.
Both statements mean I have to wait!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
I’m fairly sure your guitar is going to dry and cure into a work of art!
That's the important point!
Old 10-23-2020, 09:33 PM
Charter Member

oh man, I'm going to have to hear a recording of your guitar once it's in your possession. Particularly given the African Blackwood choice - I'm so curious - makes me want another Franklin! I've listened to some specific African Blackwood guitar recordings, and it's a beautiful sounding tonewood for sure.

Quote:
The back and sides with a wipe of Naptha gives an idea of how the African Blackwood will look under finish and shows off the backstrip. The color is very rich, not a solid black but more like a really dark chocolate.
Old 10-24-2020, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartb View Post
oh man, I'm going to have to hear a recording of your guitar once it's in your possession. Particularly given the African Blackwood choice - I'm so curious - makes me want another Franklin! I've listened to some specific African Blackwood guitar recordings, and it's a beautiful sounding tonewood for sure.
I'm very curious to hear it too. Nick has had experience building with African Blackwood, and spoke highly of it. He had my guitar set up before he varnished it, and was playing it for about two weeks -- he was really entranced with the sound! He's very curious to hear how it sounds under varnish.
Old 11-18-2020, 02:12 PM
Charter Member

Any updates?
Old 11-18-2020, 03:57 PM

Nothing new to report at the moment. Work on the varnish has been interrupted by the fact that Nick is in the process of selling his house -- and he has his finishing room set up there. BUT, the moment there's news, I'll pass it along!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop