The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-19-2018, 07:30 PM
Charter Member

Default Ordering guitar from builder that isn’t well known

Have any of you ever found a relatively unknown builder that seems to do great work.... work that you really like. But it’s hard to find information about them and thus making it tough to perhaps order an instrument?

Have any of you went through with an order and how do it turn out?
Old 08-19-2018, 08:08 PM

This has been my recent dilemma. After doing hours of research trying to find someone who does great work at a price that I can afford, I came to the conclusion I would just wait until I could get something I knew was right for me. The biggest issue is being able to try it out. I live in an area where it would be very rare to find a custom guitar that I could play. If I could play it, the choice would be a no brainer.
Old 08-19-2018, 08:49 PM

Default little known

The more guitars a builder has completed, the more he has learned about his craft and the likelier it is that you can find one to play. Usually a builder will have a couple around their shop for people to try. There is a tendency, not surprising, for their prices to go up in relation to the numbers they have built, but there are a number of exceptions to this.

Guitar shows provide an unique opportunity for you to try out many builders in one location. The drawback of course is that it is often so loud you cannot hear well. But you can certainly see and feel.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:01 PM

I took a chance on Gary Cotten in Kentucky. A few years back, some people on umgf were raving about this guy. Mostly blurgrassers. I had him make me a 12 fret, 28 style, 000. It's a great guitar and cost me roughly half of what all but a few small builders charge.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:18 PM
Charter Member

This is very risky. Without hearing an example of a builder’s work, it is virtually impossible to know what they’re capable of producing. There are MANY luthiers out there right now and they aren’t all making amazing sounding guitars. Also realize that it takes many years of mistakes before a builder can make something that will truly sound great AND last a long time without problems.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:28 PM
Charter Member

I've had a few great experiences like that. About 9 years back I had a macassar/carpathian baritone guitar built by Jeff Bamburg. He wasn't as well known then and his base price was buyer-friendly so I was able to add some nice options like a double top, a bevel, a sound port, and a custom inlay.

More recently, I've had two guitars made by Adam Buchwald of Circle String Guitars. I'd heard about Adam from an article that I'd read online. The article had an accompanying video and I really fell in love with the sound of his shedua/cedar parlor guitar and had Adam build one for me. I love that guitar so much I decided to have Adam build me a bastogne walnut/sinker redwood 00. Both are wonderful guitars.

Even if you find some stuff online, you're still putting faith in someone else's abilities when you order a custom guitar. The more faith you have in your builder, the less it feels like gambling. The key to a successful experience is good communication. The less ambiguous both sides are, the fewer chances of being disappointed in the end.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 08-19-2018, 11:12 PM

I have never been dissapointed with small builders. there are individuals out there that do extraordnary work building guitars as a hobby. Many of these guitars would be priced thousands more with all the work that has gone into them and can typically be picked up for a fraction of the price, unfortunately it is difficult to get your money back out of a small unknown builder but if it is a keeper , then it could be something very special and that is worth more.
Old 08-19-2018, 11:29 PM
Charter Member

I just recently commissioned a guitar from an all but unknown builder who, as it turned out, builds quite close to where I live. He builds only nylon string guitars, which I was hankering for anyway, and sells them embarrassingly cheap to a few friends & family etc.. I believe mine was his 20th guitar. I stumbled across one of his jewels when a client told me his neighbor had built him a guitar and wanted to bring it to me for my opinion.

I must say, I was amazed at the tone and the quite original design elements. My client set up a meeting with the guy and we hit it off. Having commissioned guitars from several world-class builders over the years, I was actually able to provide some pointers like the use of gold evo frets and beveling the soundboard.

I received the guitar last week. It is the finest nylon string guitar I have ever played and is spectacular looking to boot.

I am very, very pleased.

Steve
Old 08-20-2018, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave42 View Post
Have any of you ever found a relatively unknown builder that seems to do great work.... work that you really like. But it’s hard to find information about them and thus making it tough to perhaps order an instrument?

Have any of you went through with an order and how do it turn out?
All the time Dave. As a dealer, I've made trustworthy contacts with several builders and players whom I often seek advice from if I am trying to find out more about unknown builders.

So I guess you can say that I might know a thing or two about unknown builders. If anyone is interested in a particular builder, feel free to drop me a PM/e-mail and I'll be more than happy to assist in any way I can

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 08-20-2018, 04:45 AM
Charter Member

The only way you can really know that the work of a particular builder suits you is to play guitars by that person. In the past I’ve got excited about guitars online and then when I’ve actually played them I‘ve found that, while they were nicely made etc, they were just not for me.

There is a huge choice of good builders too, so if you find someone that looks interesting but you cannot try one of their guitars, just keep looking!

Once you find a builder that makes guitars you like to play, if you are nervous about their track record just start a thread here to seek out others that have dealt with them. For me, with builds by four different luthiers, I am happy to say that they were all warm, friendly and professional people who made the build process an enjoyable and important part of the story of each guitar.

Col
Old 08-20-2018, 07:39 AM

I would never buy from a builder without first playing several examples of his/her instruments. I've only had one instrument hand-built, my hammered dulcimer, and I'm glad I tried out several builders before settling on the particular one I have. I'm looking at having a set of custom drums built within the next year. They come at a premium price, but I played them and fell in love with them. However, I wouldn't have even bothered if I hadn't played them first.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:51 AM

I have purchased guitars from relatively unknown luthiers, but never without playing them first. I would suggest that you go to one of the guitar shows and at least play an example of his/her work in not the exact guitar before purchasing. I bought guitars from Jamie Kinscherff, Tony Vines and John Walker when they were relatively new or at least not well known but played them first. Bought Jamie's after playing in his shop, Tony Vines at Healdsburg and John Walker at the Podium (his #11).
Old 08-20-2018, 07:59 AM

Total crap shoot.........

You can buy a $5K boutique guitar from a builder who doesn't catch on (most don't), and it's worth next to nothing years later.

I spend serious money on guitars, I buy upper end Martins because their worth used is a known commodity, no guessing.

There are wonderful boutique builders, but the established ones are not inexpensive. There have been new "luthiers" on this forum who disappeared with deposits, went out of business, and their guitars have netx to no value.

Measure your "risk" tolerance, best of luck........

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 08-20-2018, 08:07 AM

I live in the Midwest. I'm about the only guy in my area that doesn't play the traditional store brands. To be honest, the biggest duds I have owned weren't custom instruments. My only custom shop dud was when I really pushed the envelope with specs, some of which the builder advised me against.

I have purchased more than a few custom electrics, acoustics, and basses with outstanding luck. MOST of it is knowing exactly what you want and properly communicating that with the builder.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:22 AM

We have a local builder here. The have a sterling reputation for restoring guitars but no kind of reputation outside of the local area for building them. Their builds, in fact, are based on instruments they have taken in for restoration. I have played their guitars more than a few times and really like the sound and feel.

Not what I would call cheap though. And while I hate to admit it (I would like to think I am above such considerations) because this shop has no reputation to speak of, the worry lurking in my mind is how big of a bath will I end up taking should I have to or want to part ways with the instrument.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion