The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 07-31-2018, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

Default K&K Mandolin Pickup Installation

I have installed several K&K pickups in my guitars, using the superglue attachment method. Six weeks ago, I decided to install the K&K Mandolin system, and was surprised to find that they recommend using a double layer of their two-sided adhesive tape instead of the superglue to mount the pickup heads.

The initial installation went well, the Mandolin sounded strong, and once I created a patch on my ToneDexter, I was quite happy with the results.

Then something curious happened -- the pickup heads detached from the top. The tape didn't pull away from the wood or the pickup; the two layers stopped adhering to one another.

My attempts to communicate with K&K's tech support received brief and brusque responses, with my questions only partially answered -- So I'm hoping that someone here may have tips for installing the K&K pickups.

Has anyone permanently glued the heads to the underside of the top? If so, were they too "hot"... do the K&Ks need the two-layer tape barrier to reduce the strength of the top vibrations? If you've successfully used the double-thickness Tape method, did you do anything in particular to prevent the layers from separating? Did you install wire-clips to reduce the weight of the pickup leads?

I need to remove the existing tape from the heads -- which K&K says can be done by gentle rubbing. Should naphtha, alcohol, or some other solvent be used on the heads to prep them for a new layer of tape, or will that compromise them?

I also need to remove the single layer of tape from the top, which will be considerably more difficult. I'm going to try to remove that with the aid of an inspection mirror, some hemostats, and some small strips of gorilla tape. (The F-holes on my Phoenix are very narrow, and a finger isn't going to fit.)

Any advice would be welcome. Thanks.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:09 PM

I've installed a similar designed equal quality but much cheaper JJB PPS-200 in 2 mandolins, 2 violins, 1 mandola, 3 violas, 2 octave mandolins, 2 mandocellos, 2 banjos, 3 guitars and an upright bass, mounted with blue hobby putty. Some of these have been installed over 8 years. They hold fine, but can still be removed if desired without damaging the pickup or wood.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
I've installed a similar designed equal quality but much cheaper JJB PPS-200 in 2 mandolins, 2 violins, 1 mandola, 3 violas, 2 octave mandolins, 2 mandocellos, 2 banjos, 3 guitars and an upright bass, mounted with blue hobby putty. Some of these have been installed over 8 years. They hold fine, but can still be removed if desired without damaging the pickup or wood.
Thank you, MandoBart!

What thickness of the Loctite putty did you use?
Old 08-01-2018, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urlkonig View Post
Thank you, MandoBart!

What thickness of the Loctite putty did you use?
I guess its about 1/16". Doesn't take much. I find an S-shaped soundpost setter helps position the heads through the f-holes.
Old 08-18-2018, 05:33 AM

I had the K&K Internal Twin pickup system installed in my Breedlove mando. After a couple years one of the sensors separated due to the tape failing. I had my tech glue them on. It works/sounds great.

Last edited by 815C; 08-20-2018 at 05:17 AM.
Old 08-18-2018, 09:13 PM
Charter Member

Thanks -- if I can manage to get the existing layer of glue off the top, I may just glue the transducers down.
Old 09-27-2018, 06:19 AM

K&K recommends not only doubling the double stick tape, but also putting a drop of thick CYA on top of that tape before pressing into the sound board. this is to insure that the hard, flat transducers will have some gap filling to the curve of the mando's top. i've done it that way and the transducers will not pop off.
Old 09-27-2018, 07:18 AM
Charter Member

My problem with K&K's tape was slightly different. I used two layers, per the directions. One layer stuck to the top properly, the other to the Transducer. Where they failed was in sticking together. The tape-to-tape / glue-to-glue contact is what didn't hold.

K&K's unhelpful rep tried to tell me that I must have touched the tape in some way, transferred oils from my fingertips, etc., but that definitely didn't happen. I've installed many pickups over the years, including PUTW transducers, which also use that sort of tape, and fully understand the necessity of keeping it free of contaminants.

Happily, the Loctite putty method suggested earlier in this thread seems to have worked. I've been gigging with it for the past six weeks or so, and have inspected the adhesion to be sure it's holding.
Old 09-27-2018, 07:43 AM

besides a gaggle of other brand/model transducers, i've installed upwards of about 90 K&K transducers for guitars, mandos, ukes, dobros, violins, cellos, even a few kanons, whatever. unlike the mando, these all went in with viscous CYA (hot stuff or 3m) only and no tape. i deferred to dieter's knowledge and made sure to use a double layer of his tape on each mando transducer, followed by a dab of thick 3m CYA. you don't want to use a lot of pressure either, and just allow the glue to gap fill any minimal soundboard curvature.

the instrument wood must be prepped prior to any transducer gluing or taping or taping/gluing. this includes cleaning the area with naphtha (lighter fluid). on some soundboards or bridge blocks the wood is a bit rough and requires sanding smooth before cleaning with naptha.

while most mandos sound quite good with the K&K unit, i fitted my personal breedlove quartz with an lr baggs radius, just using the putty goop. works and sounds just fine for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04423.jpg (50.1 KB, 35 views)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments