The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-08-2020, 04:15 AM

Default A very specific bar chord problem.

There are loads of posts about bar chords but this one is a specific problem.

So I can bar all strings on each fret without any trouble, not even much pressure, even without using my thumb on the back. I do this my positioning my barring finger as close to the fret below as possible then rotate my barring finger toward the neck so the edge of my finger is the contact point.

The piece I am learning has a B7sus2 with F# BASS chord which is as follows:

I bar the 2nd fret then have one finger on Fret 5 on second string and one finger on Fret 4 on the fourth string

I bar the second fret with my forefinger no problem but now when I try and add my other fingers so one finger is on Fret 5 on the second string and one finger is on Fret 4 on the fourth string that when I lose my bar because as I move my pinkie finger to reach the fifth fret I can no longer roll my barring finger towards the neck. Other bar chords like E shape and A shape I have no problem with.

Any suggestions.
Old 05-08-2020, 04:37 AM

The 'rolling the finger' trick works because the bottom of the finger has gaps beneath the knuckles and if these gaps get placed above strings then those strings are not held down properly. Try moving the finger forward or backward half the distance between the strings. This should move the 'knuckle gap' away from the string and allow the note to sound correctly. Moving the finger forward gives you better mechanical advantage but as the distance moved is only going to be about 1/8th of an inch moving back shouldn't be too difficult.
Old 05-08-2020, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkomatic100 View Post

So I can bar all strings on each fret without any trouble, not even much pressure, even without using my thumb on the back. I do this my positioning my barring finger as close to the fret below as possible then rotate my barring finger toward the neck so the edge of my finger is the contact point.

I bar the 2nd fret then have one finger on Fret 5 on second string and one finger on Fret 4 on the fourth string

I bar the second fret with my forefinger no problem but now when I try and add my other fingers so one finger is on Fret 5 on the second string and one finger is on Fret 4 on the fourth string that when I lose my bar because as I move my pinkie finger to reach the fifth fret I can no longer roll my barring finger towards the neck. Other bar chords like E shape and A shape I have no problem with.

Any suggestions.
You need to roll the index less, basically. You should be able to barre with the index without rolliing it at all, although it may take a little more pressure.

With this particular chord, place the pinky first, then 3rd finger on 4th string. Then organise the index any way you can to get the barre working. Try positioning it at different places across the neck. Remember it only has to hold down the 5th, 3rd and 1st strings. Personally (YMMV ) I find it easiest with the tip of the index on 5th string and just touching the 6th to mute it (you don't need the 6th).

You can get the same chord on 7th fret (7-9-7-9-7-(x)) but I guess that may not be practical with whatever chords come before or after this one.
Old 05-08-2020, 07:48 AM
Charter Member

Personally I don't roll index finger back on a barre as it lessens reach up the neck with the other fingers, makes it harder to
adjust pressure on the outer strings versus inner strings (i.e. to arch the barre finger a bit), harder to crowd the fretwire and
to barre with some assistance of the middle finger over the index finger on some chord shapes (say Fm).

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 05-08-2020, 06:57 PM

Quote:

I am not quite sure what you are talking about without any photos or videos. I can play F without using my thumb on the back but I can not play B7sus2/F# without it (see the photos below). You may try to check the thumb location.

Old 05-09-2020, 01:03 AM

I think you'll have to learn to clean up the barre without rolling your index finger and thumb position will be key. One thing that worked for me was to have the thumb opposite the middle finger rather than the index finger
Old 05-09-2020, 10:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Any suggestions.
Hi Sparko…

First off, hello and Welcome to the Forum!/ Glad you jumped in with a question…

Have you given thought to also learning it at the 7th fret in the E chord shapes (as opposed to your present 2nd fret with A chord shapes)?

Also have you tried the 2nd fret versions sus just sliding the ring up to it instead of placing the pinky? Remember stretches (which is what this is) are a relax maneuver not a strength/forceful move.

Because of the difference in pinky lengths, you may need to adapt. As a guitar teacher I was pretty surprised how much different people's pinkys are. The music is often about what people 'hear' not what they 'see'. So fingerings can readily be adapted to fit you so the notes sound the same.

Hope this adds ideas to the mix…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-11-2020, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zztush View Post
I am not quite sure what you are talking about without any photos or videos. I can play F without using my thumb on the back but I can not play B7sus2/F# without it
I think what he might mean is with no thumb pressure on the back. I.e., holding the barre simply by pulling back on the neck (bracing the guitar with the right arm), not touching with thumb at all.

It's not a normal way to play of course, but a good exercise to test how much thumb pressure you really need. The barre is not played purely by squeezing between thumb and index; the left arm pulls back on it a little, and the weight of the arm helps too.
Personally I didn't realise this until I tested how I played - I was using the arm in that way subconsciously; maybe not a lot, but enough to make a difference.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Tags
bar chords