The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 04-24-2020, 11:05 PM

The Taylor stuff is pretty good too.
Old 04-25-2020, 04:02 AM

Thank you all for replying to my nylon strung guitar query. It's very much appreciated not only for the suggestions but for the 'virtual' contact and communication during the lockdown.
I've never bought a guitar without actually playing it. I thought that I would never buy a guitar by internet/mail order......maybe now is the right time to change the way that I purchase guitars.
Old 05-05-2020, 03:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcunplugged View Post
If interested, here is a video featuring my Córdoba Fusion. And as I mentioned earlier, Cordobas are available in a variety of wood combos. This one is Spruce top, and Rosewood back/sides.

https://youtu.be/vJWaMbCDj6c

Gary
Hi Garry,

I tried to send you a PM but your box is full. Great playing. I love that song. I believe it’s in open C. Are you using special strings to get to that lower tuning? Do you take lessons from Jeff Peterson? I have a Cordova C 10 crossover and like it very much. I bought it on the Internet without playing at first.
Cheers, Jim
Old 05-05-2020, 03:52 PM

The Cordoba C-10 crossover is indeed a nice guitar.

Just a word of caution, the narrower width neck with nylon strings isn't always a favorite for some.

Nylon string are bigger around and on the 1.75" width can be a bit cramped for some players.

Unfortunately, the only way to know is to play one.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 05-06-2020, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindboyjimi View Post
Hi Gary,

I tried to send you a PM but your box is full. Great playing. I love that song. I believe it’s in open C. Are you using special strings to get to that lower tuning? Do you take lessons from Jeff Peterson? I have a Cordova C 10 crossover and like it very much. I bought it on the Internet without playing at first.
Cheers, Jim
Thanks for the compliment on my playing

Yes, the song is in C tuning (C G C G C E), and yes, I have taken lessons from Jeff. The first time was in-person at George Kahumoku Jr.'s Maui Slack Key Workshop where Jeff is a regular instructor.

As for the strings, I am not the original owner of this guitar so not sure what strings came on it. I tried a set of normal tension at the first string change, and found it difficult to play slack with those. Not so much from buzzing, but just because the strings were so slack and lacked enough tension to keep them in place. I was constantly pushing them into the next string due to my poor technique. I've switched to a set of Savarez 510AJ's, which are High Tension. Both me and the guitar seem to love those!

Best Regards,
Gary
Old 05-06-2020, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankieabbott View Post
I've been wanting to play a nylon strung guitar for as long as I can remember. I even put ball ended nylon strings on my acoustic guitar to see how it played. Truss rod needed adjusting but it played ok...but it was too quiet!

I've got small hands/short fingers. Every classical guitar I've tried the fretboard was too wide for comfort. I'm after a nylon guitar with a shorter scale length and narrower fretboard.

Anyone got any suggestions?
Cordoba Fusion Orchestra would be my suggestion, too. Here's a web page I posted about crossover guitar:

http://web.archive.org/web/201604060...Crossover.html
Old 05-06-2020, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Cordoba Fusion Orchestra would be my suggestion, too.
Indeed. The acoustic sound is much more rewarding than any of the previous nylon crossover guitars I've owned. (Taylor, Yamaha). I've got the cutaway version with a good sounding Fishman blend system onboard.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical