The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-19-2020, 06:29 AM

Default Book Recommendations

Picked my acoustic (Seagull S6) back up a month or so ago after an over 3 year hiatus since my son was born. Have a 3-1/2 year old and 1 year old at home now, but have been dedicating an hour each evening to playing again and am absolutely loving it!! Originally started playing as a complete beginner in 2012. Played for 4 years before hanging it up due to the busy life of a new Dad. Played solely for my own enjoyment and got pretty proficient at playing songs that I enjoy. Mostly songs that comprise of strumming open chords but a few finger and flat picking songs as well. Picked all of that back up relatively quickly, but am now realizing I want to learn more than the "simple" things I got good at back then. I am now working on barre chords and practicing scales. And, believe it or not, am actually enjoying the challenge and can quickly see how these exercises will improve my playing. I want to expand on that now, but not really sure where to start. Again, I only play for my own enjoyment and occasionally my wife's. Do not ever plan to gig or anything, but do plan to expand to playing the electric guitar in the near future. What books and/or online programs would you guys recommend for me? Was about to pull the trigger on the book "Guitar Fretboard Workbook" as I've read nothing but good things about it. Also looking at "The Guitar Handbook by Ralph Denyer". But wanted to get some opinions here first.

Last edited by BigTerp; 05-19-2020 at 06:47 AM.
Old 05-19-2020, 07:38 AM

I've had the Ralph Denyer Book for years. Probably 25. It's worth having. Just picked it up to brush up on my interval theory and triads and triad inversions. As I type, it is on my table open at page 120. Well thought out with some good graphics to drive the point home.

I've just bought Chord Chemistry on Kindle on the recommendation of Tom Bukovac (probably one of the most prolific session men around in Nashville, so I understand), haven't read it yet. It's diagrams are crude, hand drawn. But, it's supposed to be fab. Ted Greene.

I'd like to see a book where the theory is stated and is supported by practical application and references to context.

The tom bukovac YT homeskooling videos are a hoot. He's inspirational, but there isn't much in the way of theory. You never hear him noodle. Everything he plays is music. But he's certainly got me looking at what I do in a very different way. He's predominantly an electric player buts sometimes plays a nice 1938 Martin 000 18.

Last edited by Kevin G String; 05-19-2020 at 07:50 AM.
Old 05-19-2020, 12:47 PM

Guitar Fretboard Workbook is very dry, no songs in it, but I found it very helpful. In fact it was that book gave me the sense that I knew how the guitar works. Until working through it I always had the feeling that there was some secret that everyone but me knew about guitar playing.

Another dry but IMHO instructive & foundational material is the three video set "The CAGED Guitar System Made Easy" by Ernie Hawkins through Homespun Tapes. If you learn the scales in each form from Guitar Fretboard Workbook, these videos will have you playing any scale anywhere on the neck in any key, and moving between root-forms fluidly. With enough practice that is. These vids aren't conceptually hard, but I've put a lot of practice time towards them and still haven't mastered everything. Get the complete set if you choose this way.

Oh, and neither of these are about technique. Just how the notes fall onto the fretboard to create chords, arpeggios, scales, progressions.

Last edited by joeld; 05-19-2020 at 12:55 PM.
Old 05-19-2020, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTerp View Post
.... Also looking at "The Guitar Handbook by Ralph Denyer". But wanted to get some opinions here first.
I've had my black cover first edition copy since maybe 1984 and at least a dozen students over the years have bought it too. It still gets looked at when I have some spare time on the sofa. I keep buying copies of the second edition (blue cover) but they keep buying them from me during lessons!

As for songs, just keep learning ones that appeal to you. I used to go to guitar camps, and every year there would be a few songs that were new to me at the campfire jams. I kept notes and after a few years had a big bunch of new songs in my repertoire.
Old 05-20-2020, 05:52 AM

Thanks for the replies!! Ordered Guitar Fretboard Workbook. Will work through this one and then check out The Guitar Handbook.
Old 05-20-2020, 10:28 AM
Charter Member

The best resource that I had found for practical lessons on chord formation and theory that allows you to master the fretboard that is fairly fast and quick moving for those who are new to it, is the series of DVD's put out by John Miller. I believe Stefan Grossman's Guitar Workshop sells them. The first set of two discs are called Chord Theory and Chord Voicing and deal with both triad's and major/minor/7th chords, in movable forms and chord formation and how to find these chords on the fretboard. I love these lessons. They have taught me so much.

The second set of discs gets into hybrid 7th chords, 9th and 6 9 chords, 13th chords and chordal inversions. In a way that allows you to retain the knowledge.

Great stuff to really help one understand what it is you are playing.

Stuart

Last edited by stuartb; 05-27-2020 at 07:45 PM. Reason: wrong store mentioned.
Old 05-26-2020, 06:22 AM

I had a similar on and off guitar journey for different reasons.

To be honest one thing I learned recently is what modes actually are, and the notes in the major scale which also represent either major or minor chords and you can construct endless amounts of chord combinations and songs from, open or barre. This is one aspect of music could never learn and it is so easy after all, and with the modes it's basically putting emphasis on a different chord in the same key, which becomes a different mode and you play the exact same scale pattern landing on a different 'root' note.

Two excellent guitar teachers on Youtube are Stich Method and Tomo Fujita which have been learning for free and you can pay a membership for additional content. Have actually made a word document representing each key and the notes with major/minor can send it if you have an email. I have recorded allot of my own combinations of chords and want to record lead over them when find the time.
Old 06-12-2020, 03:29 PM

I have never had problems finding theory instructionals for guitar and fiddle/violin. But finding good in-depth instructionals for applying theory have been much harder to find. If a persons plays bluegrass or country music, the "Flatpicking Essentials" provides lots of information. CDs are included. The series goes from simpler to much more complex material. The first book in the series will benefit any aspiring country/bluegrass player.
Old 06-12-2020, 11:09 PM

I suggest you check out JustinGuitar.com, which is on the the web’s best resources
Old 06-13-2020, 05:02 AM

Another source is a web site called Guitar Gathering, hosted by Steve Krenz. Lots of freebies and access to his once a week show on Tuesdays followed by a workout session on Wednesday night. Has just finished Barre chords, triads and lots of other theory data. Enjoy the journey!
Old 06-16-2020, 03:29 PM

I’ve got a (blue cover) copy of The Guitar Handbook by Ralph Denyer.
The music section was written by the excellent guitarist, Isaac Guillory.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write