The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-11-2020, 07:34 PM

Default Hand not big enough?

I know this saying is not true and really just an excuse, but for specific scenarios, is this valid?

I've been playing for about 8 years so I'm not a beginner player. I can play all chords, can do intricate finger-style pieces, but there is one thing I can't do: Using my thumb for playing half a barre chord. For example, when I'm playing an Amaj triad in the 5th fret (the C shaped one), my thumb can't reach to get the 6th string cleanly on the 5th fret root. I think Jimmy Hendrix does this a lot. Hopefully that makes sense.

I've tried forcing it, positioning my elbows closer to my body and it feels like I'm just death gripping the neck like I'm going to break it. It really feels awkward and as a result, I'm really shrugging my shoulders, then my other fingers start muting the bottom strings because I'm turning my hand around.

I can only use it to mute the top string like when I'm strumming a D chord or playing a Dm7 (wrapping my thumb to get the 6th string instead of using my middle finger).

So am I just giving myself an excuse not to play this particular voicing, or are my hands simply not big enough?
Old 05-11-2020, 08:18 PM

Hi, hatamoto!

My hand is not big either. I put the side of my thumb on the string, and it works for me.

image share free
Old 05-12-2020, 08:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatamoto View Post
I know this saying is not true and really just an excuse, but for specific scenarios, is this valid?

I've been playing for about 8 years so I'm not a beginner player. I can play all chords, can do intricate finger-style pieces, but there is one thing I can't do: Using my thumb for playing half a barre chord. For example, when I'm playing an Amaj triad in the 5th fret (the C shaped one), my thumb can't reach to get the 6th string cleanly on the 5th fret root. I think Jimmy Hendrix does this a lot. Hopefully that makes sense.

I've tried forcing it, positioning my elbows closer to my body and it feels like I'm just death gripping the neck like I'm going to break it. It really feels awkward and as a result, I'm really shrugging my shoulders, then my other fingers start muting the bottom strings because I'm turning my hand around.

I can only use it to mute the top string like when I'm strumming a D chord or playing a Dm7 (wrapping my thumb to get the 6th string instead of using my middle finger).

So am I just giving myself an excuse not to play this particular voicing, or are my hands simply not big enough?
Hi hatamoto

I can only cover/play one string with my thumb. So I just found other ways to play chords which others thumb-wrap.

Our fingers and thumbs are the size they are. And I've never seen a thumb stretch in length (and still be healthy)

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-17-2020, 03:42 AM

I also thought my hands may be "too small" for guitar, till I watched Jess Lewis playing guitar and bass (where even more reach is needed):

I now think I just have to practice more.

But of course with different hands some things will be easier for some then for others... and possibly you have to come up with a fingering which works for you in some cases.

BTW, watching Jesses channel is highly recommended -- both her guitar and bass playing is inspiring.
Old 05-17-2020, 10:38 AM

Quote:

I've been playing for about 8 years so I'm not a beginner player. I can play all chords, can do intricate finger-style pieces, but there is one thing I can't do: Using my thumb for playing half a barre chord.
This is a really bizarre and unusual technique. I guess it's useful if you can do it, but no need to feel bad if you can't. (I can do it, but it's not something I ever feel the need to do.)
Quote:
For example, when I'm playing an Amaj triad in the 5th fret (the C shaped one)
I don't follow. If you mean a concert A major chord in 5th position, that's an "E" shape. The full barre is:
5-7-7-6-5-5.
The thumb would often be used to fret the 6th (index on strings 2-1 only), but the full barre should be just as easy. With a little practice anyway.

If you mean you only want the R-3-5 triad:
x-x-7-6-5-x
- then I'd mute the 5th string with my ring finger - as in the full chord - pinky, middle and index fretting the three notes (index muting 1st string). Thumb mutes 6th I could mute both 6th and 5th with my thumb if wanted to free up my pinky to add notes on the other strings - e.g. if improvising on this shape.
Quote:
, my thumb can't reach to get the 6th string cleanly on the 5th fret root. I think Jimmy Hendrix does this a lot. Hopefully that makes sense.
Jimi had big hands, supposedly. Remember he played both rhythm and lead so would always have been looking for alternative ways to fret chords for different purposes.
As I say, I can do it, I just never have the need, and I can't think of any occasion off-hand where I would.
Quote:
Why do you want to play that voicing? - and more importantly what shape do you actually mean?
Old 05-17-2020, 11:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
This is a really bizarre and unusual technique. I guess it's useful if you can do it, but no need to feel bad if you can't. (I can do it, but it's not something I ever feel the need to do.)
Hi Jon
I agree…

I have a friend who is 6'8" tall and can wrap his thumb to cover 4 strings - RELAXED. He doesn't, but can. He does have some three fret thumb chord positions. I can barely catch the low E by the 5th fret, but we jam together just fine.

I'm not sure why we build 'dogmas' or expectations that we have to play wrapped 6 string chords comprised of an F chord shape on the 4 trebles with the thumb wrapped around to cover the root and fifth on the 2 bass strings.

It's even more challenging than learning a conventional barre chord (which covers the same fret) and it covers exactly the same notes as the barre. Bluegrass backing guitarists say it is for speed and fingering transitions. Could be…I'll never know!

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-26-2020, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post

If you mean you only want the R-3-5 triad:
x-x-7-6-5-x
- then I'd mute the 5th string with my ring finger - as in the full chord - pinky, middle and index fretting the three notes (index muting 1st string). Thumb mutes 6th I could mute both 6th and 5th with my thumb if wanted to free up my pinky to add notes on the other strings - e.g. if improvising on this shape.
Jimi had big hands, supposedly. Remember he played both rhythm and lead so would always have been looking for alternative ways to fret chords for different purposes.
As I say, I can do it, I just never have the need, and I can't think of any occasion off-hand where I would.
Why do you want to play that voicing? - and more importantly what shape do you actually mean?

Yes, it's that one (x-x-7-6-5-x). Sorry I wasn't clear enough. I was referring to the 7-6-5 as the C shaped staircase one.
I see people doing it like this (5-x-7-6-5-x) with the thumb wrapped around, ring, middle and index respectively. My thumb can't reach the A note on the 5th fret.

To give an example, in Jimmy Hendrix's Wind Cries Mary he would play the Cmaj,Bb,and Amaj in the same shape as he slides down the neck. When he would improvise, he can use the pinky.

Me on the other hand I just bar chord them (E shape)
Old 05-26-2020, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Yes, it's that one (x-x-7-6-5-x). Sorry I wasn't clear enough. I was referring to the 7-6-5 as the C shaped staircase one.
I see people doing it like this (5-x-7-6-5-x) with the thumb wrapped around, ring, middle and index respectively. My thumb can't reach the A note on the 5th fret.

To give an example, in Jimmy Hendrix's Wind Cries Mary he would play the Cmaj,Bb,and Amaj in the same shape as he slides down the neck. When he would improvise, he can use the pinky.
Yes, I can see that's a problem if you want to improvise with pinky.
The way I usually play the shape (for a C) is:

8 - index (or mute with index)
8 - index
9 - middle
10 - pinky
10 - ring
8 - thumb

The ring can either fret or mute the 5th. When the pinky leaves the 4th for some improv, then the ring either mutes the 4th, or frets the 4 while its tip mutes the 5th. The latter is obviously a little akward, but feels a little easier than reaching the tip of thumb across - I can do that, and it's possible I might while playing.
My hands are what I'd say were average adult male, although the fingers may be a little thinner than average.
Old 05-26-2020, 06:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
...my thumb can't reach to get the 6th string cleanly on the 5th fret root. I think Jimmy Hendrix does this a lot. Hopefully that makes sense.....
Hendrix had notoriously huge hands and freakishly long fingers which did, in fact, allow him some flexibility in playing different ways.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 05-26-2020, 06:30 AM

I think the location of the thumb is different from mine. I put the neck on my index finger (top left photo). My thumb is over the neck. I play even C chord in this style and mute. The location of thumb is almost same in both C and F.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:30 AM
Get off my lawn kid

I can thumb wrap to play the 6th string when needed for a particular chord, but I've never tried to barre with the thumb.

Maybe I'm a snob, but to me its really poor technique and just a way to skirt playing a proper barre. I'm sure there are dozens of examples where established professionals do it, but....

So I don't think not being able to do it is something to "fret" over

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write