The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-05-2021, 09:37 AM

Default My TV Interview With Alistair Hay of Emerald Guitars Now Online

Hey gang, I recently had the opportunity to interview Alistair Hay for a video series I'm shooting on entrepreneurship. I don't claim to be Barbara Walters but I thought his story might be of interest to all acoustic players but if the mods want to move it to the Carbon Fiber section that's fine with me.

Cheers!

https://youtu.be/3a1tzYsdB1c

Ovation 1984 Collector's
Takamine FP317S New Yorker
Ibanez George Benson
Gibson 339
Gibson 2017 J45 Custom
Huss & Dalton CM sinker redwood
Emerald X20 Woody
Tom Anderson Crowdster Plus
Maton Nashville 808
Maton Messiah

Last edited by Acousticado; 04-06-2021 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Embedded video for you
Old 04-05-2021, 11:31 AM

Jeff, congratulations on the interview with Alistair. A nice mix of business and pleasure! And now you can write off that fine Emerald Guitar as an expense!
Old 04-05-2021, 12:30 PM

I like the way you think!
Ovation 1984 Collector's
Ibanez George Benson
Gibson 339
Gibson 2017 J45 Custom
Emerald X20 Woody
Maton Nashville 808
Maton Messiah
Old 04-05-2021, 02:56 PM

Great interview on an interesting topic. Thanks for sharing. I’m a carbon fiber fan, owning a little Rainsong that I feel comfortable taking just about anywhere. I like the look of the Emeralds and I’ve heard good things about them.

https://soundcloud.com/user-652759467
Old 04-07-2021, 04:58 AM

thank you for this beautiful half hour spent with you and Alistair!
Old 04-07-2021, 06:19 AM
Charter Member

Great interview, Jeff. Thank you for sharing this with us.
Old 04-07-2021, 09:31 AM

Great interview. Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-07-2021, 10:14 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Bravo, Jeff! While producing a piece to educate entrepreneurs, you’ve allowed Alistair to articulate Emerald’s innovative story as such an important example of what it takes to become successful.

I’m curious if his business model is unique at all among the entrepreneurs you’re involved with and what they think about Emerald’s approach.

I’m also curious to know if the building Alistair is in is part of the business, his home, or someplace else! It appears as though it could’ve once been a church. What an inspirational setting. Music played in such a space must sound incredible.

Btw, you have a beauty of an X20!
Old 04-07-2021, 12:09 PM
Guest 928

Tom;

I think the building is the ancient structure that Alistair has been renovating for the past several years. Some of the musical videos have taken place in the building. If it was a church, it was probably Druid.
Old 04-07-2021, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
...I’m also curious to know if the building Alistair is in is part of the business, his home, or someplace else! It appears as though it could’ve once been a church. What an inspirational setting. Music played in such a space must sound incredible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Tom;
I think the building is the ancient structure that Alistair has been renovating for the past several years. Some of the musical videos have taken place in the building. If it was a church, it was probably Druid.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6LrclOZIZGg

the emerald cottage
Old 04-07-2021, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

Nicely done! I was aware of Alistair's journey with Emerald, but this brings it all together.

I am a fan of Emerald's business model. I bought my first Emerald shortly after they started selling direct only. And, as you and Alistair stated, it led to the second and the third.

I appreciated you bringing up the weekly shipping videos - always a treat to see what is heading out to excited new owners.

Thanks for sharing that with us.
Old 04-07-2021, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Bravo, Jeff! While producing a piece to educate entrepreneurs, you’ve allowed Alistair to articulate Emerald’s innovative story as such an important example of what it takes to become successful.

I’m curious if his business model is unique at all among the entrepreneurs you’re involved with and what they think about Emerald’s approach.

I’m also curious to know if the building Alistair is in is part of the business, his home, or someplace else! It appears as though it could’ve once been a church. What an inspirational setting. Music played in such a space must sound incredible.

Btw, you have a beauty of an X20!
Tom,
We have about 100 student start-ups worth about$17,000,000 right now and I can tell you that, when it comes to business models, there is no one-size-fits all. We are just now sharing Alistair's story with them, and will use this video for many, many classes down the road. A couple of take-aways I hope they get is Alistair's honing of his craft around people who aspire to greatness in what they do. I think that's an important part of why Alistair has built the company he has. I also hope they take heart in the fact that Alistair had to shut the business down, pivot a bit on the design, and has built a brand with a great reputation. Finally, I hope they hear and feel his passion for what he's doing and his unending drive and desire to improve his product.

I believe others have answered the building question. Cheers.
Ovation 1984 Collector's
Ibanez George Benson
Gibson 339
Gibson 2017 J45 Custom
Emerald X20 Woody
Maton Nashville 808
Maton Messiah
Old 04-07-2021, 02:57 PM
Charter Member

It's an amazing interview, and I really appreciate your sharing it with us....
Martin 000-15sm
Old 04-07-2021, 09:28 PM

Thanks Jeff, I thoroughly enjoyed the interview. In the course of the interview you also managed to have Alistair fully address and settle the issue of why Emerald doesn’t have dealerships around the world.

I am, however, still trying to wrap my head around giving the story about giving a 6 year old kid his own workshop with a saw. Though I’m certain that Alistair was closely supervised, I can’t imagine my Mom allowing my Dad to do that even back in the day(and I’m quite a bit older than Alistair!).
Old 04-07-2021, 09:35 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

Thanks Jeff. Really interesting story. Well done!
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber