The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-21-2021, 08:38 PM

Default Good Intuitive Multi Effect Pedal - Analog?

I'm looking for a good multi effect pedal that is intuitive to use and does not require programming etc. Maybe something analog? Maybe something from TC Electronics? I'm wanting to introduce my daughter to chorus, delay, reverb, phase and flange. I'm not looking for crazy over the top wierdness, but more like acoustic seasoning. We will be putting these effects on her violin. Ideally all this would be in one pedal, but it may need to be two. I don't so much want presets as I want knobs where I set the rate depth etc.
Old 02-21-2021, 08:41 PM
Charter Member

Soulmate Acoustic.
Old 02-21-2021, 09:41 PM

For a single box that does a bunch of those things using just regular knobs and switches the Electro-Harmonix Canyon comes to mind. I've only used mine with an electric guitar, but I'd guess it's work fine with violin.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 02-22-2021, 04:55 AM

For intuitive multi-effect pedals, you could look at Fishman ToneDEQ or TC Helicon Perform-VG (the latter requires an active pickup).
Old 02-22-2021, 08:13 AM

Check out the TC Electronics Plethora X5. The latest update even added a looper.
Old 02-22-2021, 09:18 AM

Fishman ToneDEQ or Soulmate Acoustic.

Get the one you can afford. I'm using the ToneDEQ & love it but the Soulmate was the one I would have gotten if price were no object. (It is for me, though. :-)

Frank
Old 02-22-2021, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarinBb View Post
I'm looking for a good multi effect pedal that is intuitive to use and does not require programming etc. Maybe something analog? Maybe something from TC Electronics? I'm wanting to introduce my daughter to chorus, delay, reverb, phase and flange. I'm not looking for crazy over the top wierdness, but more like acoustic seasoning. We will be putting these effects on her violin. Ideally all this would be in one pedal, but it may need to be two. I don't so much want presets as I want knobs where I set the rate depth etc.
I dislike menus when using pedals. I've had a few multi-effects units in the past that used simple single knob adjustments and loved the convienience. If I needed something like that today I'd probably go for the Zoom AC-3 Acoustic Creator.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ZAC3--zoom-ac-3-acoustic-creator-enhanced-direct-box?mrkgadid=3336039326&mrkgcl=28&mrkgen=gpla&mrkg bflag=0&mrkgcat=livesound&lighting&&acctid=2170000 0001645388&dskeywordid=92700046934841989&lid=92700 046934841989&ds_s_kwgid=58700005285189564&ds_s_inv entory_feed_id=97700000007215323&dsproductgroupid= 680961807741&product_id=ZAC3&prodctry=US&prodlang= en&channel=online&storeid=&device=c&network=g&matc htype=&locationid=9022239&creative=342707406943&ta rgetid=aud-307460702085la-680961807741&campaignid=1465475237&gclid=Cj0KCQiAg omBBhDXARIsAFNyUqMz-CRQVL6tRis_hFl_rx3-NwlIwL9k3OMDCOyrpQ8bwIKY47RqoI4aAj6jEALw_wcB&gclsr c=aw.ds
Old 02-22-2021, 03:55 PM

After the first of the year, I picked up a ZOOM AC 3 Acoustic Creator. I am really liking the look at, turn the dial, make manual adjustments I can see aspect of it all. Not sure I will use all the guitar modeling effects all that much, but I'll use everything else at some point.

The AC replaced a Zoom G1X4. I didn't like all the fiddling around with the patches and the back and forth with the computer. The G1x4 wasn't exactly a good fit for me in several ways.

Plus with the AC 3 I can add pedals before and after to play with other effects when I want to go beyond clean and acoustic.

I'm in the process of completing a small board with the AC 3 as one of the pieces.
Old 02-22-2021, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh42 View Post
After the first of the year, I picked up a ZOOM AC 3 Acoustic Creator. I am really liking the look at, turn the dial, make manual adjustments I can see aspect of it all. Not sure I will use all the guitar modeling effects all that much, but I'll use everything else at some point.

The AC replaced a Zoom G1X4. I didn't like all the fiddling around with the patches and the back and forth with the computer. The G1x4 wasn't exactly a good fit for me in several ways.

Plus with the AC 3 I can add pedals before and after to play with other effects when I want to go beyond clean and acoustic.

I'm in the process of completing a small board with the AC 3 as one of the pieces.
Many years ago I had a pedal from Korg that operated in the same way and also had a very simple system to save 3 presets. That's the only thing missing with the AC-3 that would be a nice feature to have.
Old 02-23-2021, 12:33 AM
Charter Member

Can anyone provide some direct feedback on either of these 2 pedals? I’ve thought about both but never had the chance to try either of them.
Custom Emerald X20-12 guitar
Old 02-24-2021, 10:08 AM

Another vote for the Zoom AC3. It's really handy and easy to operate unit and the guitar "modeling" does a good job of getting your EQ 80% of the way there. I like the easy to set reverbs and delays and it has a pre-EQ output so you can send a processed and unprocessed signal to your front of house (or a uneffected signal to FOH and an effected one to stage amp etc).

The headphone output is also really nice for getting familiar with it and setting your more subtle effects.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 02-25-2021, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarwebguy View Post
Can anyone provide some direct feedback on either of these 2 pedals? I’ve thought about both but never had the chance to try either of them.
Which 2 were you curious about?
Old 02-25-2021, 02:18 PM

I'm realizing from looking at all these effects that I would really prefer if I can have as much control over the parameters as possible. I was considering the Fishman ToneDEQ but you get 2 different delays that are set, you just get to say how much effect you get. It looks like the parameters on the Soulmate offer a lot more tailoring of the delay and reverb. It has a looper too. I wonder how good the looper is, as in can I sell my Jamman stereo and use the Soulmate's looper? Do any of these other pedals have a wide range of adjustment, as in can I set the delay where ever I want it? The AC-3 does not do this, but it does seem to offer a few set reverbs and a few set delays so may be more versatile that the ToneDEQ.
Gretsch G9241 Biscuit Resonator
Amezcua Classical ('86)
Jessen A Mandolin ('06)

Fishman Blenders in my guitars.
JBL EON One Pro to play them through.
Old 02-25-2021, 02:19 PM

Great place to start is here, BOSS BE-5.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BOSS-BE-5-G...Cclp%3A2334524
Old 02-25-2021, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarinBb View Post
I'm realizing from looking at all these effects that I would really prefer if I can have as much control over the parameters as possible. I was considering the Fishman ToneDEQ but you get 2 different delays that are set, you just get to say how much effect you get. It looks like the parameters on the Soulmate offer a lot more tailoring of the delay and reverb. It has a looper too. I wonder how good the looper is, as in can I sell my Jamman stereo and use the Soulmate's looper? Do any of these other pedals have a wide range of adjustment, as in can I set the delay where ever I want it? The AC-3 does not do this, but it does seem to offer a few set reverbs and a few set delays so may be more versatile that the ToneDEQ.
I've had the ToneDEQ and currently have the AC3. Personally, I find the AC3 much better (and more robust) than the ToneDEQ. There's far more adjustability on the Reverbs and delays and I think the compression and "models" do a lot more for your EQ and tone than the ToneDEQ. However, the ToneDEQ isn't bad but I think you get a lot more for your money with the AC3.

The SoulMate is probably superior to the AC3 if you prefer more control over your settings but it does cost more and the AC3 probably makes getting a good sound "easier." However, that's very relative and if you want semi-parametric EQ and tap-tempo delay, you'll prefer the SoulMate.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification