The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 01-19-2021, 09:40 PM

Default NGD - Pedal Steel

I have always been mesmerized by the sound of pedal steel, and after really digging into old country and modern Americana I was finally able to take the leap. I am in love with this instrument. It was made by Doug Earnest at Stage One Pedal Steel Guitars. I can’t say enough about the quality of this guitar for the price. I didn’t want to end up with something with mechanical issues out of the box and everyone recommended Doug. If you have the patience for his wait list, I will also sing his praises.

It’s a single neck, E9 pedal steel with 3 pedals and 4 knee levers. The learning curve seems steep, but I am making steady progress and my blues slide experience and fingerpick experience is helping. What a wonderful instrument!
Jacob

Kevin Enoch Tradesman Open Back Banjo
Collings MT2-O Honey Amber
Royce Burt #560 5-String Fiddle
Old 01-19-2021, 10:36 PM

As you said, gorgeous instrument at an extremely reasonable price - use it well and often - but does that Fender Mustang modeler have sufficient dynamic/frequency range and clean headroom to do it justice...?
Old 01-20-2021, 05:18 AM

Very cool. Enjoy this beastie - one of my goals is to eventually get a pedal steel, but I barely have enough time to play my acoustic, let alone be good at it.

Best,

Rick
Old 01-20-2021, 08:15 AM

Steve,
The GTX100 does pretty well, but I haven't really tried to push it yet. It is the only amp I own currently and includes the wonderful feature of being able to practice with headphones and also stream music from my phone so I can play along. This second feature is why I bought it because for learning the steel, having access to all the music in the world to play along to was too sweet to pass up. If I have to get a Nashville 112 down the line than so be it. I was also considering skipping that and getting a Milkman The Amp 100 for gigs. Seems to work for Tim Marcus. I might also look at the Fender Tonemaster for both my Tele and Pedal Steel. But at the end of the day, I am no professional so I am not concerned about it.
Old 01-20-2021, 08:46 AM

Love pedal steel.

Years ago when I had enough money to buy about what I wanted in musical instruments within reason, I got a pedal steel. Got to where I could get a sound out of it, although nothing special. But as I got older and enjoyed playing guitar, mandolin, etc., sitting in a recliner, I sold it. Got into to lap steel for awhile, which was fun.

Enjoy it. They are beautiful sounding and a real addition to a band.
Old 01-20-2021, 10:22 PM
Charter Member

Very cool. Have fun!
Old 01-24-2021, 11:23 AM

Love pedal steel. I've had Fender 800, Sho Bud, Sierra. Almost bought ZB, but had to downsize instead. Have fun
Old 01-24-2021, 03:50 PM
Charter Member

Every Saturday night, over to the RFD-TV, I watch Presley's Country Jubilee and band-member Dean Holman on his ZumSteel. I've long enjoyed steel guitar and if I consider getting one it'll be a Stage One Pedal Steel Guitar with some ZumSteel pedigree. I mean, for $1149 it seems like a good-quality way to get into steel guitar!

Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 01-24-2021 at 03:58 PM.
Old 01-25-2021, 01:36 PM
Charter Member

I started on a Stage One when I had a hand condition that made playing guitar impossible for two years. I graduated to an EMCI, but when I could play guitar again, I decided I'd never get good enough, and I knew about four steel players that were crazy good who only gigged once or twice a month. Get yourself an amp with some headroom.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 02-05-2021, 01:32 PM

ZumSteel makes high-end pedal steels. What does "Licensed by ZumSteel" mean?
Old 02-10-2021, 06:01 AM

Congrats! I'm a bit jealous!! A good pedal steel is definitely on my wish list - but they sure aren't cheap.

I play a lot of lap steel. Started with 6 string and now playing 8 string. It took awhile to get used to the tighter string spacing of the 8 string for my picking hand. How are you adapting to the 10 string?
Old 02-10-2021, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 815C View Post
Congrats! I'm a bit jealous!! A good pedal steel is definitely on my wish list - but they sure aren't cheap.

I play a lot of lap steel. Started with 6 string and now playing 8 string. It took awhile to get used to the tighter string spacing of the 8 string for my picking hand. How are you adapting to the 10 string?

I haven't had any issues with the spacing, but I don't have a bunch of experience playing lap so I don't have the muscle memory in that regard. I am in love with this thing, and I can't recommend the Stage One enough.
Old 02-10-2021, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mherrcat View Post

My understanding is that it used to be a model that ZumSteel made, but eventually they stopped making it and licensed the specs to Doug Ernest and he started Stage One Steel Guitars.

Generally, the pedal steel guitar forum regards this guitar as low pro-level instead of beginner instrument. My experience so far reflects that. It is not cheaply made, and it sounds incredible.
Old 02-10-2021, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Like most licensing agreements, it probably means the Licencee is using (and probably paying for) technology invented and patented by others (in this case, ZumSteel).

Let's hope it's something that reduces the number of adjustments required to get perfect performance out of a pedal steel. My MSA D-10 has about 200 of them; each one measurable in thousandths of an inch...

Last edited by H165; 02-10-2021 at 10:29 AM.
Old 03-09-2021, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Let's hope it's something that reduces the number of adjustments required to get perfect performance out of a pedal steel. My MSA D-10 has about 200 of them; each one measurable in thousandths of an inch...
Well, they say the difference between a '58 Buick and a pedal steel guitar is...

You can tune the Buick.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments