The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-16-2021, 05:26 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Well, I got fifteen minutes in before I was interrupted. In my world, that's the problem with these threads that point to a video: I work in an audio control room and hit the AGF during lulls. At home, I sit with my lovely wifeling while she watches TV. Neither atmosphere is conducive to video watching on the laptop. In many cases I hover over a thread title, see that it is basically just a video, and move on, hoping for another chance.

My opinion of the video? I saw only one "pro guitarist" I recognized, Tim Pierce. I saw only one other person I have really watched videos from, Lee Anderton, and he isn't a "pro guitarist," he is a guitar dealer. The rest? Nevuh hoid of 'em. Sorry.

I love to see the interaction between Tim P. and Paul. I've seen a couple of other videos where they interact and it is fun. I actually like Paul's well-thought-out approach to guitar making. I actually like his guitars, but his prevalent 25" scale hasn't been attractive to me.

With that said, seeing a bunch of YouTube "stars" genuflect before Paul is of limited utility to me. I've come to see that the one thing YouYube stars want the most is an excuse to be on YouTube, whether or not there is useful content involved. Sorry.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 04-16-2021, 06:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Oh yes big time ....
The internet uproar when PRS brought out the Silver Sky, one would have thought Paul himself dumped a truck load of sewage on Leo Fenders grave

I dunno I kinda am very drawn to the Silver Sky - if it wasn't so pricy I would have bought one.

Straight string pull with no hackeyed Fender string trees and no tremolo cover seems like improvements to me.

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 04-16-2021, 06:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
What's the Silver Sky "debacle?" My impression is he's sold a ton of them.
Ha ! indeed he has, in fact for the first 6 -8 months after the launch most dealers had waiting lists and the guitars were out the door within hours of arriving at the stores.
But "debacle" is reference to the controversy and negative reaction of many on the internet (simply google something like "controversy over Silver Sky") Plus the level of controversy was previously never visited on Strat Type guitars from other builders ..

But who knows Maybe Paul is a marketing genius and realized controversy equals sales and was a conspiratorial instigator of the controversy ????? Irrational conspiracy being so wildly popular these days ...

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 04-16-2021 at 06:45 AM.
Old 04-16-2021, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Ha ! indeed he has, in fact for the first 6 -8 months after the launch most dealers had waiting lists and the guitars were out the door within hours of arriving at the stores.
But "debacle" is reference to the controversy and negative reaction of many on the internet (simply google something like "controversy over Silver Sky") Plus the level of controversy was previously never visited on Strat Type guitars from other builders ..

But who knows Maybe Paul is a marketing genius and realized controversy equals sales and was a conspiratorial instigator of the controversy ????? Irrational conspiracy being so wildly popular these days ...
Right, as I indicated in a previous post I'm well aware of the sniping from the sidelines; my point is that that doesn't seem like a "debacle" to me. Gibson's failed auto-tuner "innovation" from a few years back is what I think of as a "debacle:" sizeable investment, lots of hype, big roll-out, market thud, negative effect on sales, etc.
Old 04-16-2021, 07:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Well, I got fifteen minutes in before I was interrupted. In my world, that's the problem with these threads that point to a video: I work in an audio control room and hit the AGF during lulls. At home, I sit with my lovely wifeling while she watches TV. Neither atmosphere is conducive to video watching on the laptop. In many cases I hover over a thread title, see that it is basically just a video, and move on, hoping for another chance.

My opinion of the video? I saw only one "pro guitarist" I recognized, Tim Pierce. I saw only one other person I have really watched videos from, Lee Anderton, and he isn't a "pro guitarist," he is a guitar dealer. The rest? Nevuh hoid of 'em. Sorry.

I love to see the interaction between Tim P. and Paul. I've seen a couple of other videos where they interact and it is fun. I actually like Paul's well-thought-out approach to guitar making. I actually like his guitars, but his prevalent 25" scale hasn't been attractive to me.

With that said, seeing a bunch of YouTube "stars" genuflect before Paul is of limited utility to me. I've come to see that the one thing YouYube stars want the most is an excuse to be on YouTube, whether or not there is useful content involved. Sorry.

Bob
Yes indeed time management can be a problem when perusing YouTube
But the good news is one can simply click off the video.

That said I am not certain guitarists being recognized by any one specific viewer actually relates even remotely to an accurate quantitative analysis of the number of "Pros" involved . not to mention understanding that "Pro" is only subjectively qualified, as being having to be session or touring musician.
And even if we accept that definition, I personally recognized double your number 2 Dave Weiner has had a pretty successful career as an in demand touring guitarist.

Since the format was simply asking question I am thinking the Pro is of marginal importance at best...
I am guessing the guy who arranged the Q & A interview, was simply aware of what kind of title might garner more clicks then just oh say "Some People ask Paul"

Plus I don't really see being a recognized "pro" per. se. has any bering on whether the questions are interesting or not
And somehow I don't think think having admiration for a builders work and accomplishments as "genuflection" But hey YMMV

As for the rest I try not to impose my speculation or judgement on to the motives of others IMO a practice fraught with pit falls

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 04-16-2021, 07:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
Right, as I indicated in a previous post I'm well aware of the sniping from the sidelines; my point is that that doesn't seem like a "debacle" to me. Gibson's failed auto-tuner "innovation" from a few years back is what I think of as a "debacle:" sizeable investment, lots of hype, big roll-out, market thud, negative effect on sales, etc.
Ah yes I guess more a matter of different folks different different expressions

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 04-16-2021, 07:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_jack View Post
I think it's not much different than the Taylor hate (I don't really get either).
... and Ovation dislike too.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 04-16-2021, 08:49 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Yes indeed time management can be a problem when perusing YouTube
But the good news is one can simply click off the video.

That said I am not certain guitarists being recognized by any one specific viewer actually relates even remotely to an accurate quantitative analysis of the number of "Pros" involved . not to mention understanding that "Pro" is only subjectively qualified, as being having to be session or touring musician.
And even if we accept that definition, I personally recognized double your number 2 Dave Weiner has had a pretty successful career as an in demand touring guitarist.

Since the format was simply asking question I am thinking the Pro is of marginal importance at best...
I am guessing the guy who arranged the Q & A interview, was simply aware of what kind of title might garner more clicks then just oh say "Some People ask Paul"

Plus I don't really see being a recognized "pro" per. se. has any bering on whether the questions are interesting or not
And somehow I don't think think having admiration for a builders work and accomplishments as "genuflection" But hey YMMV

As for the rest I try not to impose my speculation or judgement on to the motives of others IMO a practice fraught with pit falls
Hehehe... The original post caught me at a very utilitarian moment.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 04-16-2021, 09:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Hehehe... The original post caught me at a very utilitarian moment.

Bob
Sall Good . Kinda funny how the internet age can seem to sometimes be reflected in old old song lyrics
Group from South Africa 1968 song Master Jack

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 04-16-2021, 06:37 PM

I think Paul is a bit eccentric, opinionated, bright, and different than your average bear. People as successful as him often are.

I don’t view him as arrogant, but everyone’s entitled to their opinion. It would be my guess that he could care less what people think.

I really respect what he has done for the guitar industry. Having him and his products in the mix makes things better. There are lots of great manufacturers, but PRS is one of the best hands down in my view.

McCarty 594s are killer
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 04-16-2021, 07:32 PM
Charter Member

i love watching anything Paul R Smith is talking about, i always learn something. The guy is so deep and intelligent regarding the building and tone quality of an instrument, its mind boggling. He covers all bases, imo very similar to Bill Collings with the knowledge and ability to talk about it and run circles around most anyone within the discussion. Guitars, amps, pickups, he's all over it with hands on(just like Bill was).

of course, the tone of any particular model may not appeal. there are quite a few PRS that do not turn my fancy, but the ones that do, DO.

similar to Collings and Taylors, you get a PRS and everything fits as perfect as is possible on earth. adjustments are easy to make and actually make a difference due to build tolerances being so tight. hardware is top shelf, no junk, everything turns and adjusts with ease.

the 2 models i really like right now are DGT and the Mark Lettieri. The pickups on the Lettieri sound great, love the transparent finish and simple but classy appointments. 25.5" scale.
https://www.guitarworld.com/news/prs...gnature-guitar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGqQNdBzXz0&t=1s

Last edited by darylcrisp; 04-16-2021 at 07:39 PM.
Old 04-17-2021, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
I think Paul is a bit eccentric, opinionated, bright, and different than your average bear. People as successful as him often are.

I don’t view him as arrogant, but everyone’s entitled to their opinion. It would be my guess that he could care less what people think.

I really respect what he has done for the guitar industry. Having him and his products in the mix makes things better. There are lots of great manufacturers, but PRS is one of the best hands down in my view.

McCarty 594s are killer
Great word to describe Paul. Very driven. It's great to read about him when he was young and going to a Carlos Santana gig just to show Carlos his guitar and asking him to play it.
Old 04-17-2021, 07:05 AM
Charter Member

I agree eccentric, opinionated, and passionate, which can come across as arrogant or rude at times.

And also being from the West, but having spent 18 consecutive months in New York during a major custom home renovation. I came to realize that people from the East coast can sometimes come across that way, if for no other reason than they seem to live life at a pace and volume that is at times a bit foreign to those of us from elsewhere. And that we (as I once did) can view that as rude, but since that experience I have come to see as just different

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 04-17-2021, 07:15 AM

Quote:
I agree eccentric, opinionated, and passionate, which can come across as arrogant or rude at times.

And also being from the West, but having spent 18 consecutive months in New York during a major custom home renovation. I came to realize that people from the East coast can sometimes come across that way, if for no other reason than they seem to live life at a pace and volume that is at times a bit foreign to those of us from elsewhere. And that we (as I once did) can view that as rude, but since that experience I have come to see as just different
Kev, I used to work on Wall Street ... definitely a different culture and pace compared to where I live now, or where I ever lived.
Old 04-17-2021, 07:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Kev, I used to work on Wall Street ... definitely a different culture and pace compared to where I live now, or where I ever lived.
Yes the Custom Home Construction company I worked for at the time in Jackson Hole Wyoming had built a big summer home for some customers from NYC.
And just after we had finished they purchased an older (1920's era) 9000 sq. ft. mansion in Scarsdale, and they were so pleased with the Wyoming house they hired us to come do a total renovation.

But honestly at first for us Wyoming Boys, it was like landing on some planet among aliens.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars